Up Owners Club banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
448 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just a word of warning. About 3 weeks ago I had an email from this forum, even though when I registered last year I elected to keep my email address private. Now being of the generation of spanners and screwdrivers and not computers, I opened it, as it had the right heading and all seemed OK. Big mistake! It has taken me 2 weeks to regain the use of my laptop with the help of a professional...at no little expense I might add.
I am not implying that our forum was to blame, but bearing in mind the problems we are experiencing at the moment with passwords, etc ,it might be prudent to be a little more cautious.
I have since had 3 more emails from here, all with the same header, which I have not opened of course.
I just felt I wanted to pass this on to all you good folks.

Go well.

·
Registered
448 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi Cadfael,

The header was "That's it done " A current topic.

Go well.

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
Thanks for the warning. Presumably we are safe if we delete without opening it?

·
Registered
448 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yes Beevee. That is what I have done and all is well. Do not open if you have not put your email address into this domain.

Go well.

·
Registered
957 Posts
Was there an attachment in the
e-mail ?

·
Registered
448 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Derkie54. Hi. No attachment. Just a straightforward quite normal email. I must say I was surprised to get it as I did not divulge my email address.....but being of the non computer generation I trusted. Live and learn!!

Go well.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Thanks for the headsup, I think I have also elected to not recieve emails either. As a rule I never open anything from anyone I dont know or trust just in case, not just from forums.

·
Registered
325 Posts
If there wasn't an attachment and you didn't follow any links in the e-mail then it's unlikely to have been the cause of your problems. I've been receiving e-mails from here for months (including the That's it done ones) and they've all been fine.

·
Registered
851 Posts
Yup just opening an email should be fine. Opening or downloading attachments and clicking on links is what causes problems.

·
Registered
448 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Ok Guys thanks for the info' It must have been a coincidence and my catastrophic crash was caused by something else.
I'm still puzzled as to why I am suddenly getting emails though, as I did not divulge my email address. Three more today.

Go well.

·
Registered
325 Posts
Surely you gave your e-mail address when you registered for the forum? I had to follow an activation link sent to me by e-mail before I could post.

·
Registered
448 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Yes I did, to register only. So why am I getting emails now and not for the first year plus of membership?

Go well.

·
Registered
325 Posts
The setting that controls it is under Forum Preferences in Member Control Panel:

"Notify me of replies to posts" yes/no

However, even though mine is set to 'yes', I don't always receive a notification.

·
Super Moderator
1,495 Posts
Night Owl said:
Derkie54. Hi. No attachment. Just a straightforward quite normal email. I must say I was surprised to get it as I did not divulge my email address.....but being of the non computer generation I trusted. Live and learn!!

Go well.
An e-mail alone cannot corrupt your computer. Either there was an attachment that you unwittingly installed, or it was an entirely separate issue that co-incided with the arrival of the e-mail.

Either someone gained control of your computer externally, or you installed a program which took over your laptop. These are the only two possibilities.

·
Registered
448 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Umiamz said:
The setting that controls it is under Forum Preferences in Member Control Panel:

"<span style="line-height: 1.4; : rgb251, 251, 253;">Notify me of replies to posts" yes/no</span>
<span style="line-height: 1.4; : rgb251, 251, 253;">
</span>
<span style="line-height: 1.4; : rgb251, 251, 253;">However, even though mine is set to 'yes', I don't always receive a notification.</span>
"Notify me of replies to posts" yes/no. Mine is set to no, so to my thinking I should not be getting emails. Anyway enough. Thanks to you all for your help.

Go well.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts