Up Owners Club banner

1 - 20 of 77 Posts

·
Super Moderator
3,147 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Tonight, 1week after last pothole tyre trashing, another!.....not particularly big but I’m sure 17” wheels are now not fit for purpose

sidewall blowout again on another new tyre....that’s 4 in 6k miles of ownership and 3 in the last 2 months , always a front so double swapping required to get home

im going to get a new tyre and get rid......even the golf R didn’t suffer like this.....anyone after a nearly new gti with 4 new tyres....make me an offer!

ps here is the damage
5E31595D-02E2-4819-8CB3-2AFF195C4EE4.jpeg
5E31595D-02E2-4819-8CB3-2AFF195C4EE4.jpeg

·
Super Moderator
3,147 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Oops triple photo post! Yes I’m that pi55ed off!

·
Registered
321 Posts
Oops triple photo post! Yes I’m that pi55ed off!
Glasgow third world roads strike again?
I only drive in Glasgow during daylight and very slowly so I can see the bomb craters a bit sooner, I must look like a drunk 90 year old as I weave about at a snails pace.

·
Super Moderator
3,147 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Even the Amarok shys away from some of the craters.....tonight’s fun was Brockburn road, on my way back from doing a clinic!.....another £100 for the tyre man

·
Registered
189 Posts
Ow! Impressive photos for all the wrong reasons...

·
Registered
116 Posts
I’d be really annoyed too if I’d been through that :mad:. In fact if we’d still been on the Goodyears, even on comfort pressures, I might have decided to sell by now...I was rapidly “losing the love” on ride quality alone.

I know it might be a bit late for you now, but after a change to running 205 section Michelin PS4s, I personally think on balance it’s actually the tyres that aren’t fit for purpose - the swap has made a huge difference for us, and I wonder if the softer, non-eco compound in addition to the accompanying tiny sidewall profile increase might help in your scenario too.

“More money” though, I get it, but if you still like the car otherwise, it’d be a lot cheaper than selling. Still crashes into holes (standard dampers!) but my hunch is they’d defo be more resilient as well as a lot more compliant.

·
Registered
1,590 Posts
Yup, overwheeled for no apparent reason than fashion.

Sorry to see that and looks like your standard pinch blow out, it's what happens when there is no sidewall to take the hit.

·
Registered
508 Posts
Up the profile to 45s
Agree, If it happens to me, I will go to 45's, but no issues so far. It happened when my daughter, in her GTi, hit a pothole
IMG-20200120-WA0005.jpg
last week, and I had the job of changing it......

·
Registered
1,590 Posts
Up the profile to 45s
Will make next to no difference. Checking on will they fit shows there to be a 10mm difference in the sidewall. 50 profile would be better but then you'd have to check if that will clear.

If you went down a wheel size then you could have a 50 profile tyre on a 16" wheel. That would give you a lot more sidewall and only 7mm more on the radius.

·
Registered
321 Posts
I feel some are looking at this from the wrong angle, there is nothing wrong with the size of the wheels or tyres but more the condition of our roads, you blame the murderer not the weapon.

I have fitted lowering springs for the look and on normal roads I'm perfectly happy with but when its due its service I will be swapping back to stock springs as I cannot go another winter commuting in the dark with the GTIs comedy headlights stressed out my box waiting for he next boneshaking thud, not the lowering springs fault but the five sh#t councils I drive through daily.

Unfortunately Councils and Governments are obsessed with throwing our money at people/estates/PC causes who contribute nothing from cradle to grave while us mugs just keep paying our taxes for little back.

·
Registered
1,590 Posts
I agree on the condition of our roads but you have to also agree that cars now tend to be over-wheeled and under-tyred for no reason other than fashion.

Having rubber bands for tyres does not make a car "sporty", pretty much the opposite tbh. If you take a look at touring cars for example then they have a decent profile of tyre to soak up bumps etc as a lot of their suspension is in the tyre, and they're driving on smooth tracks.

I'd love for manufacturers to step away from this fashion but it looks like we're stuck with it, like slim fit clothes.

·
Registered
321 Posts
I agree on the condition of our roads but you have to also agree that cars now tend to be over-wheeled and under-tyred for no reason other than fashion.

Having rubber bands for tyres does not make a car "sporty", pretty much the opposite tbh. If you take a look at touring cars for example then they have a decent profile of tyre to soak up bumps etc as a lot of their suspension is in the tyre, and they're driving on smooth tracks.

I'd love for manufacturers to step away from this fashion but it looks like we're stuck with it, like slim fit clothes.
You are right about fashion but then again if not we would still be driving around in Model T lookalikes or maybe go modern with roads full of 60s/70s/80s Fiat 124 lookalikes.

95% of the reason I buy a car is its external design (fashion) and I will put up with the firmer ride with big alloys/*** paper tyres and bounce around with lowering springs because I like the way it looks (yes sad for a 50 year old) and ultimately the reason these tyres blew out is the third world roads and not the fault of the wheels/tyres fitted to the GTI.

·
Registered
321 Posts
For some reason this site has deemed F.a.g an obscenity and changed it in my post to ***:)

·
Banned
645 Posts
It just proves that lower profiled tyres, offer less protection in everyday driving.
Their there for the sportier appearance of the Gti, and it stands to reason, a narrower wall to the tyre offers less physical shock absorption, when the suspension suddenly is asked to perform to its maximum capabilities without warning.

It possibly shows just how poor the choice of suspension components are in the Up.
Really, they should be able to offer maximum protection when a tyre wheel combination is asked to perform at their maximum capabilities, when hitting a pothole.
The Good Years are there for emissions and over all ride quality, and the rubber compound is pretty soft, far from ideal when hitting a hole in the road at speed.

Still no reason, to get rid of a great car, however annoying the loss of several tyres must be.

·
Registered
321 Posts
It just proves that lower profiled tyres, offer less protection in everyday driving.
Their there for the sportier appearance of the Gti, and it stands to reason, a narrower wall to the tyre offers less physical shock absorption, when the suspension suddenly is asked to perform to its maximum capabilities without warning.

It possibly shows just how poor the choice of suspension components are in the Up.
Really, they should be able to offer maximum protection when a tyre wheel combination is asked to perform at their maximum capabilities, when hitting a pothole.
The Good Years are there for emissions and over all ride quality, and the rubber compound is pretty soft, far from ideal when hitting a hole in the road at speed.

Still no reason, to get rid of a great car, however annoying the loss of several tyres must be.
Ahh you're back, was getting a bit worried some sheep were having their wicked way with you or you had been in a terrible male choir accident.

·
Registered
189 Posts
For some reason this site has deemed F.a.g an obscenity and changed it in my post to ***:)
Although most active people on the forum seem to be based in the UK (where the three-lettered name for cigarette papers is common), the forum itself is hosted in Toronto, Canada (where it is only a derogatory word).

·
Registered
321 Posts
Although most active people on the forum seem to be based in the UK (where the three-lettered name for cigarette papers is common), the forum itself is hosted in Toronto, Canada (where it is only a derogatory word).
I do know its meaning and its used here as well, Got to love the line in Blazing saddles " What in the Wide World of Sports is a-going on here? I hired you people to get a little track laid, not to jump around like a bunch of Kansas City faggots!" Imagine trying to release Blazing Saddles now?

1 - 20 of 77 Posts