Up Owners Club banner

21 - 40 of 77 Posts

·
Registered
1,550 Posts
Ahh you're back, was getting a bit worried some sheep were having their wicked way with you or you had been in a terrible male choir accident.
I stole his velcro gloves.....

·
Registered
478 Posts
It just proves that lower profiled tyres, offer less protection in everyday driving.
Their there for the sportier appearance of the Gti, and it stands to reason, a narrower wall to the tyre offers less physical shock absorption, when the suspension suddenly is asked to perform to its maximum capabilities without warning.

It possibly shows just how poor the choice of suspension components are in the Up.
Really, they should be able to offer maximum protection when a tyre wheel combination is asked to perform at their maximum capabilities, when hitting a pothole.
The Good Years are there for emissions and over all ride quality, and the rubber compound is pretty soft, far from ideal when hitting a hole in the road at speed.

Still no reason, to get rid of a great car, however annoying the loss of several tyres must be.
Once again he gets it all wrong.
These Goodyears are ECO tyres and are certainly not there for the ride, they're hard compound and 40 profile....
The blowouts on potholes are down to the low profile of the tyre, and the tyre make-up, nothing to do with the suspension.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Ahh you're back, was getting a bit worried some sheep were having their wicked way with you or you had been in a terrible male choir accident.
Who needs Blazing saddles when we have xenophobic comments like these...hilarious NOT

·
Registered
301 Posts
Who needs Blazing saddles when we have xenophobic comments like these...hilarious NOT
Oh dear we have a woke serially offended on board, sorry I don't know what that big Xzeno word means and have no idea how I've been soooooo offensive as unlike middle class university educated social justice warriors I'm as working class as it gets and live in the real word with the rest of the silent majority and BTW I'm Scottish therefore apparently I'm a tight fisted alcoholic, who wears tartan skirts, loves bagpipes, eats shortbread, is allergic to fruit and vegetables, chases haggis around the mountains and dies before their 60th birthday but hey Its just meaningless stereotypes I couldn't give a **** about and certainly don't cry about or looked to be saved from by a social justice warrior, though to be fair the alcoholic is right but at least a functioning one 😂🤣😂

I sort things face to face and wont be wasting my breath with the likes of you through a keyboard so go on as it will go unanswered.

·
Registered
612 Posts
Once again he gets it all wrong.
These Goodyears are ECO tyres and are certainly not there for the ride, they're hard compound and 40 profile....
The blowouts on potholes are down to the low profile of the tyre, and the tyre make-up, nothing to do with the suspension.
[
I stole his velcro gloves.....
Hang on a minute, isn't this meant to be a forum about cars, and why we are so passionate about them.

Let's just stick to the subject, even if it means some strongly disagree with others personal opinions, isn't that what a online forum is all about, voicing ones own opinions, not reading utter rubbish with no relevance to the subject
I think you are the first person I have ever encountered to truly sing the praises of Bridgestone Potenzas, I endured 4 sets of these, three sets on Golf Rs on one on a Polo Blue GT and hated them but they refused to die as just too hard

I recommend you try PS4 at some point, they will be a revelation, even my wife is appreciating them.

PZero N1 has been a pleasant surprise when a bit of heat in them and reasonable and would be my first choice on GTI in oem size.

·
Registered
1,550 Posts
Please disappear off forums, this is definitely not the place for you. Most pathetic social justice apparently woke crap i've read this year.

Blazing Saddles is a film from 1974 when attitudes to comedy were very very different to today, to even use that in conversation about xenophobia is beyond pathetic.

·
Registered
1,550 Posts
Hang on a minute, isn't this meant to be a forum about cars, and why we are so passionate about them.

Let's just stick to the subject, even if it means some strongly disagree with others personal opinions, isn't that what a online forum is all about, voicing ones own opinions, not reading utter rubbish with no relevance to the subject
It's called banter, get used to it if you keep spouting utter claptrap.

·
Registered
301 Posts
Please disappear off forums, this is definitely not the place for you. Most pathetic social justice apparently woke crap i've read this year.

Blazing Saddles is a film from 1974 when attitudes to comedy were very very different to today, to even use that in conversation about xenophobia is beyond pathetic.
A Mel Brookes classic that never sees the light of day now the PC mob run our TV channels.

I better not quote my favourite line from the old lady or the sky will cave in 😂

Anyway back to cars and the f.a.g paper tyres.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Oh dear we have a woke serially offended on board, sorry I don't know what that big Xzeno word means and have no idea how I've been soooooo offensive as unlike middle class university educated social justice warriors I'm as working class as it gets and live in the real word with the rest of the silent majority and BTW I'm Scottish therefore apparently I'm a tight fisted alcoholic, who wears tartan skirts, loves bagpipes, eats shortbread, is allergic to fruit and vegetables, chases haggis around the mountains and dies before their 60th birthday but hey Its just meaningless stereotypes I couldn't give a **** about and certainly don't cry about or looked to be saved from by a social justice warrior, though to be fair the alcoholic is right but at least a functioning one 😂🤣😂

I sort things face to face and wont be wasting my breath with the likes of you through a keyboard so go on as it will go unanswered.
[/
A Mel Brookes classic that never sees the light of day now the PC mob run our TV channels.

I better not quote my favourite line from the old lady or the sky will cave in 😂

Anyway back to cars and the f.a.g paper tyres.
I find the treatment of some on here quite distasteful, what gives some the right to call others liars or trolls for giving what appears harmless inoffensive opinions? and so what if someone mentions an Abarth 595 now and again? No one seems to mind the endless bores asserting the Golf R is...One of your earlier posts !!!

·
Registered
1,550 Posts
Absolutely a classic but some people seem to want to erase history instead of learning from it. I would mention the scene from Smokey and The Bandit where Jackie Gleason meets the sheriff after rear-ending him off the bridge but the internet snowflakes would melt.

Obr, opinion is one thing but spouting garbage as fact is another.

·
Super Moderator
3,148 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
Back on topic folks........About to pull the trigger on a Tiguan SE NAV 2.0TDi 4motion to replace the UP GTi....the roads around Ayrshire and Glasgow make the GTi unfit for purpose , even if I did modify the suspension and wheel/tyre combo....sad as our Move UP is just fantastic over the same roads. anyway, as some of you may know , I live out in the sticks so 4WD (the Amarok and previous Golf Rs have been unstoppable in all weather, ice, snow, muddy roads etc etc) is really useful to me. so , still an UP owner (just not a GTi) and still a forum mod but sadly my wee beastie is going!

cheers for all the supportive comments I won't get ;););)

·
Registered
53 Posts
Absolutely a classic but some people seem to want to erase history instead of learning from it. I would mention the scene from Smokey and The Bandit where Jackie Gleason meets the sheriff after rear-ending him off the bridge but the internet snowflakes would melt.

Obr, opinion is one thing but spouting garbage as fact is another.
Actually the previous quote was one of Don’s earlier ones - perhaps he’d forgotten he wrote it...
No problem reading about others thoughts on the car but don’t think it’s necessary to use small minded comments because he comes from Wales !!
I shall leave you and Don to put the world to rights

·
Super Moderator
3,148 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
OK Folks....some LIGHT moderation......No slagging off folk, I started this thread about Tyres and we've shot off on a tangent.....play nice and respect each other...remember opinions are like Ar5ehole5 ...everyone has one and indeed is entitled to hold it (hee hee) BTW, Blazing saddles is bloody marvellous but thats for a different thread! Please don't make me have to delete posts.

·
Registered
958 Posts
Back on topic folks........About to pull the trigger on a Tiguan SE NAV 2.0TDi 4motion to replace the UP GTi....the roads around Ayrshire and Glasgow make the GTi unfit for purpose , even if I did modify the suspension and wheel/tyre combo....sad as our Move UP is just fantastic over the same roads. anyway, as some of you may know , I live out in the sticks so 4WD (the Amarok and previous Golf Rs have been unstoppable in all weather, ice, snow, muddy roads etc etc) is really useful to me. so , still an UP owner (just not a GTi) and still a forum mod but sadly my wee beastie is going!

I think it's an understandable move. Although the only tyre problems I've had have been nail related, I know that I'd find the GTI a difficult proposition as a daily, and that's all about the ride.

·
Registered
1,550 Posts
Actually the previous quote was one of Don’s earlier ones - perhaps he’d forgotten he wrote it...
No problem reading about others thoughts on the car but don’t think it’s necessary to use small minded comments because he comes from Wales !!
I shall leave you and Don to put the world to rights
Oh get over yourself. It's called banter, joshing etc.... People call me a northern monkey even though I've lived in London for 15 years, i don't cry in a corner though or be offended on someone else's behalf.

As for the OP, good choice on the Tiguan.

·
Registered
301 Posts

For Glasgow your needing Arnies Unimog.

I like the T-Cross but as with most smaller 4x4s (if you know what I mean) it doesn't have four wheel drive, one thing I like about Suzuki is they do 4X4s no matter how small the car, some want/need four wheel drive but would prefer it in a small car like the swift or a small 4x4 like the Jimny but unfortunately most other manufactures don't bother.

·
Registered
612 Posts
I remember walking down the road from Tarbet, last September, the road surface was not the best, especially with the log haulage lorries from Inveraray, driving like maniacs.
The one thing i did notice about Glasgow and surrounding area, was the large number of haulage lorries on the road, its certainly a busy city, no wonder really, the roads are in poor condition, and the bulk of traffic cannot really be stopped.

Last November i was talking to the driver of a Malcolm Logistics lorry, outside Porthmadog, that's one huge journey, he was a long way from home, and their a very rare sight so far South of the country, even rarer than our UP GTis.

I visit Scotland every year, just love the area, and i always see those Blue Malcolm lorries, usually north of the Lakes.

Linwood is only a few miles outside Glasgow, so i do not envy his fuel bill.

Sorry to hear you have sold your Gti, i hope they gave you a decent p/x for it.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I had the same thing on my GTI and had to replace a tyre after 5000 miles. The pothole has been fixed now after reporting it but the roads in Brighton and surrounding area are just awful at the moment.

·
Registered
301 Posts
I remember walking down the road from Tarbet, last September, the road surface was not the best, especially with the log haulage lorries from Inveraray, driving like maniacs.
The one thing i did notice about Glasgow and surrounding area, was the large number of haulage lorries on the road, its certainly a busy city, no wonder really, the roads are in poor condition, and the bulk of traffic cannot really be stopped.

Last November i was talking to the driver of a Malcolm Logistics lorry, outside Porthmadog, that's one huge journey, he was a long way from home, and their a very rare sight so far South of the country, even rarer than our UP GTis.

I visit Scotland every year, just love the area, and i always see those Blue Malcolm lorries, usually north of the Lakes.

Linwood is only a few miles outside Glasgow, so i do not envy his fuel bill.

Sorry to hear you have sold your Gti, i hope they gave you a decent p/x for it.
Malcolms has a vast fleet and they were based in the village of Brookefield not far from Linwood with a number of yards including England I think, its only their logistics trucks that are that livery as all their other trucks are yellow/green/blue.

Traffic in Glasgow is no busier than any large city, its entirely the councils fault the roads are a disgrace and they cant even use the old chestnut of winter weather as we haven't had a winter so far.

21 - 40 of 77 Posts