Up Owners Club banner

41 - 60 of 77 Posts

·
Registered
612 Posts
It's the excessive amounts of road salt used on the local roads, here in Llandudno,and surrounding areas.

Due to a very tragic cycling accident some years ago, where a motorist ploughed into a group of cyclists after hitting black ice, killing four of them.

Ever since, Conwy council grit the roads, even when the temperatures are mild.

I've noticed in the last two to three years, it's not so much potholes being a problem, it's the entire road surface, it gets destroyed by the corrosive salt, that is replenished time and again throughout December and January.

Road clippings are more a menace, and the only repair to potholes appears to be a layering of tar, which gets destroyed by road traffic.

Glasgow is not alone, as last year travelling through the centre of Cardiff, I simply lost count of the potholes, and sometimes it's unavoidable to miss them, resulting in tyre and rim damage.

·
Registered
595 Posts
I feel your pain. Trashed a Continental on a pothole two weeks ago. Same again on the brand new tyre last night. Pissed off to say the least.

·
Super Moderator
3,148 Posts
Discussion Starter #43
Well, the Tiguan arrived yesterday, must say I love it, the tech is amazing but I still love our little black move up too, sadly I’ll get to drive it less as yesterday my youngest son passed his driving test ! Now to sort some (probably very expensive) insurance for him. :eek::eek::eek:

·
Registered
105 Posts
People need to start reporting all these potholes to their local councils. If you have suffered damage to your wheel, tyre or suspension then you need to try and claim compensation off the council.

There are a number of guides on the internet how to do this. Yes, it does take time and effort and there are no guarantees that you will be successful but you need to keep them on their toes.

Think of it this way, if you don't tell them they don't know about it and they don't fix it. If your suffer pothole damage and don't try and claim then they get away with it and don't fix the original problem.

So report and claim and once the councils start having to deal with and pay out on more claims they might be forced to sort out the pothole problem sooner.

·
Registered
612 Posts
The only problem with reporting every pothole, is that it will only alarm local councils, most of whom already know about the existence of most of the potholes anyway.
Thankfully potholes are not much of an issue where i live, mainly because there is not such a huge amount of daily traffic, as you get in the larger cities.

Conwy council are able to keep on top of most potholes, but last year, i was simply staggered to see the number of potholes in central Cardiff,
Most of them would require lengthy road closures to repair them properly, as just filling them in with a bit of tarmac, only solves the problem for a few month.

To really solve the problem, you have to close off the roads, and resurface the entire section.
That costs a lot of time and money, money that has to be siphoned from other Council run amenities.

·
Super Moderator
3,148 Posts
Discussion Starter #46
The app I use is ‘fix my street’. East Ayrshire council respond rapidly , GLASGOW just ignore the reports !

·
Registered
105 Posts
Brilliant idea. Would look even better in reflective paint. Purely for the purposes of equality, maybe we could have some drawings of female body parts as well!

·
Registered
75 Posts
Such a shame about the tyres bursting, i must admit in 30 years of driving i've yet to experience one . But i'm not too sure if there's some rather unsympathetic driving going on? I can highly recommend the Michelin Cross Climate tyres they work and seem a very tough.

·
Super Moderator
3,148 Posts
Discussion Starter #52
PurpleUp, the driving is a low speed commute, I,ve driven around 25,000 miles on average yearly for the last 39 yrs and the ONLY car I’ve had sidewall punctures in was the upGTI. I take your point re x-climates having used them since they came out but there aren’t ones to fit the ridiculous size of the gti.......4wd and cross climates are unstoppable where i live...we had them on the up white models and also on the golf R’s........as soon as the tig needs new rubber, it will get a set 👍

·
Super Moderator
3,148 Posts
Discussion Starter #53
I still maintain for the roads around where I live. East Ayrshire and Glasgow, the upGTI 195/40 17” tyres are not fit for purpose

·
Registered
612 Posts
My only tyre burst or damage, was several years ago.
Driving down the A5 through Snowdonia, from Bethesda towards Capel Curig, I was driving around the twisty roads, and some large stones had come loose from the mountainside, one of them ending in the very centre of the road, near the cats eyes.

Just my luck, the stone was around a bend, so it was impossible to avoid.
My pride and joy and mint 1995 Polo 1.4 CL Indiapolis alloy wheels were on my Polo TDi.

Forget the tyre, that was beyond repair, but the passenger side front wheel, took the full impact, taking a large junk of alloy with it.

The wheel hadn't buckled, but it looked like Howard Keel, who played Jaws, in the Bond movies had bitten a chunk out of it.

Potholes thankfully are not that much of a problem here in North Wales, but damaging a prized set of alloys was more than upsetting, and getting a replacement was just about impossible.

·
Registered
1,550 Posts
I still maintain for the roads around where I live. East Ayrshire and Glasgow, the upGTI 195/40 17” tyres are not fit for purpose
They're not fit for most urban roads. The roads near me aren't too bad but i could feel and hear everything through those rubber bands.

·
Super Moderator
3,148 Posts
Discussion Starter #56
Howard Keel......brilliant.....the 50's crooner/actor , surely you mean Richard Kiel :) :)

·
Super Moderator
3,148 Posts
Discussion Starter #57
By the way......oncoming Milk tanker or Kerb....You choose !

·
Registered
1,550 Posts
Howard Keel......brilliant.....the 50's crooner/actor , surely you mean Richard Kiel :) :)
I couldn't be bothered to correct tbh. I remember him from Dallas.

Bad luck on the Tiguan, looks like a new wheel needed.

·
Super Moderator
3,148 Posts
Discussion Starter #59
That was my golf R last Year....new front suspension too.....Tiguan has been great so-far (The Golf R was fabulous but I did 60K miles in 2 years so had to move it on to keep the value reasonable)

41 - 60 of 77 Posts