Up Owners Club banner

61 - 77 of 77 Posts

·
Registered
1,590 Posts
That was my golf R last Year....new front suspension too.....Tiguan has been great so-far (The Golf R was fabulous but I did 60K miles in 2 years so had to move it on to keep the value reasonable)
oooof, looks like a hard hit.

·
Super Moderator
3,147 Posts
Discussion Starter #62

much better than a head-on with a Niven Milk Tanker ........cost me £2000 for the wheel/tyre/wishbone etc etc and the bloody ACC alignment

·
Registered
1,590 Posts

much better than a head-on with a Niven Milk Tanker ........cost me £2000 for the wheel/tyre/wishbone etc etc and the bloody ACC alignment
Ouch. That just reminded me, need to get my alignment looked at soon.

·
Registered
75 Posts
PurpleUp, the driving is a low speed commute, I,ve driven around 25,000 miles on average yearly for the last 39 yrs and the ONLY car I’ve had sidewall punctures in was the upGTI. I take your point re x-climates having used them since they came out but there aren’t ones to fit the ridiculous size of the gti.......4wd and cross climates are unstoppable where i live...we had them on the up white models and also on the golf R’s........as soon as the tig needs new rubber, it will get a set 👍

How odd I wonder what has caused so many blow outs, I've noticed that conti tyres have very soft sidewalls and are prone to nicks on sidewalls. Would a higher speed rating / load rated tyre help?

If you get a chance try the Michelin Pilot 4s's I've got them on S6 and they're quite a remarkable tyre.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I have had sets of cross climates on various cars and really love them. They are available in 205/45/17 but is there anyone on here who has fitted this size?
I know 205/40/17 are a common choice and if I get that size I will get PS4s.

I’ve had the car for about a month now and even after researching beforehand, I’ve been shocked at how poor the standard tyres are. I’m assuming that PS4s will be a vast improvement even in the cold and wet, if not as good as crossclimates?

(First post - thanks in advance for the advice.)

·
Registered
599 Posts
What would the most feasible smallest wheel and tyre combo on the GTI?

·
Super Moderator
3,147 Posts
Discussion Starter #68
What would the most feasible smallest wheel and tyre combo on the GTI?
even a 15" will not fit the front, needs to be 16 and then sometimes needs a shim as the calipers are just silly-Big

·
Registered
515 Posts
even a 15" will not fit the front, needs to be 16 and then sometimes needs a shim as the calipers are just silly-Big
15" do fit, I have my wifes 15" from her Tsi on my Gti as winter wheels. Without a spacer they actually do fit, and don't foul the caliper, however the clearance is only a few thou !
I had some spacers made from 1.6mm aluminium, and they obviously clear well now.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
3,147 Posts
Discussion Starter #70
My orthopaedic shoes !.....I stand corrected, thanks 911ts3. Bet 15’s transform the wee beastie (y)

·
Registered
146 Posts
I have to say it was one of the contributory factors in selling my beloved GTI last autumn.

I went through three tyres and had two damaged wheels, the final straw was waiting for 7 hours to get a replacement tyre having been towed off the M6 at Knutsford.

Four months on and I miss the GTI so much it hurts ! ! !

·
Registered
116 Posts
I’d be interested in a poll of tyre damage vs standard/ non-standard tyres. I wonder if the hard eco compound of those blessed Goodyears is a factor. Not exclusively, but I would place a tenner on there being an indisputable correlation! (in reality it’s probably way too early in this model’s life to be even close to certain).

·
Registered
228 Posts
Non standard wider tyres from pretty much day one and it can't be coincidence that we've had no punctures,no strange noises and we are massively impressed with the ride for a tiny budget car with gigantic wheels 😎

·
Registered
70 Posts
Non standard wider tyres from pretty much day one and it can't be coincidence that we've had no punctures,no strange noises and we are massively impressed with the ride for a tiny budget car with gigantic wheels 😎
Having just made the change, I'm frankly staggered that VW specified those Goodyears as OE, and then compounded their stupidity by recommending insanely high tyre pressures for them.

·
Registered
228 Posts
It's all about European emissions rock hard tyres so it gets .1 more miles to the gallon.... and the switch to some good tyres would have been a game changer for the the review's by the motoring press!

·
Banned
645 Posts
The last time i can remember any Vw ive driven from new, coming with a Good Year tyre fitted as standard, was way back in 1981, when i went to collect a friends brand new Mk1 Gti.
That car had a set of Good Year Grand Prix S tyres on it.

Every other Vw ive owned, has either been fitted with Continentals or the occasional Bridgestone.
Continentals are almost universally used by most of the big German manufacturers, and Continental owns one of the largest tyre testing grounds in Europe, only second to Bridgestone for outright size.

Ive still got a hellish interesting article from a Diesel Owner magazine showing the size of the Continental test centre, its larger than some small towns here in the Uk.
A better choice would have been Bridgestone Ecopias, their superb economy tyres, great for emissions, but i suppose if Good Year offered Vw a good deal, then i recon its all to do with costs.

Theres nothing much wrong with the Good years, but theres better rubber out there.

61 - 77 of 77 Posts