Up Owners Club banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
- so, just ordered my new up! and even though im bouncing off the walls in excitement, im a bit miffed that it's only 60bhp, as that's all i could afford
do you guys have any suggestions on what's the best way to increase bhp on these little ups, im used to having biggerenginecars that don't need tuning etc :)

·
Registered
265 Posts
should a bought the 75bhp, thats the least expensive way of getting it up to 75bhp...at least thats the case where i live, dunno which model you would have to choose to get the 75bhp version.

what could be interesting is to figure out exactly what differences there are in these two engines, and buying the parts from the 75bhp version

Edited by: Mulo

·
Registered
1,438 Posts
The only difference, as far as I'm aware, is the ECU map, get someone like revo to map it for you and you should be able to unlock a maybe even a little more than 75bhp

·
Registered
1,274 Posts
Take the engine out and stick a motobikes engine in.
I've seen it on youtube on old minis and smart cars lol

·
Registered
1,438 Posts
There's that briskoda fella who's shoehorned a 1.8T and Audi TT running gear into a Citigo, that'll give you about an extra 300bhp tho

·
Registered
619 Posts
There's not much difference in performance between the two cars. Perhaps, if you are carrying a full load in the car on a regular basis, the 75hp vehicle would have been the better option. Otherwise, enjoy the car 'as is' and don't be tempted to shell out for expensive mods that only result in a few extra bhp. Also, think of the fuel/cash you are saving every time you see a speedy car passing by (you definitely develop an air of smugness while driving the Up).

·
Registered
187 Posts
Ive got the 75bhp engine in my citigo and it feels really fast and responsive both in town and on the open road and motorway and i love it but test drove a 60bhpp version before i ordered mine and it didnt feel that much different really - its just that I knew i was going to do lots of motorway driving so went for the higher powered engine.

·
Registered
432 Posts
ohsosj said:
I'm used to having biggerenginecars that don't need tuning etc :)
Those cars probably weighed 400 to 500 Kg more than the up! though.

The 60 PS and 75 PS ups both have the same torque (95 Nm), which is what counts in most daily driving, where we don't rev the engine to the redline all the time, so your 60 PS shouldn't feel sluggish

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
ah, thanks for all the advice guys! it's just since i've told my friends it's only 60bhp, they've told me it'll be slow etc.. even though on the test drive i had to stop myself from speeding! so fingers crossed it'll be alright :)

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
ohsosj said:
ah, thanks for all the advice guys! it's just since i've told my friends it's only 60bhp, they've told me it'll be slow etc.. even though on the test drive i had to stop myself from speeding! so fingers crossed it'll be alright :)
Tell them to visualise 60 horses tied to the front of the little car, then crack the whip... Off like a rocket!

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
I also have a 105bhp golf, and round town, the little up makes the golf seem like riding a elderly cow off the line.

·
Registered
397 Posts
luckyjimmy said:
There's not much difference in performance between the two cars. Perhaps, if you are carrying a full load in the car on a regular basis, the 75bhp vehicle would have been the better option. Otherwise, enjoy the car 'as is' and don't be tempted to shell out for expensive mods that only result in a few extra bhp. Also, think of the fuel/cash you are saving every time you see a speedy car passing by (you definitely develop an air of smugness while driving the Up).
Absolutely! And don't forget to add in the cost of additional insurance for the mod.
5 years ago I retired and handed back my 150 bhp Diesel Skoda Octavia. That car really did GO! I was pleasantly surprised therefore when I bought my own petrol 1.6 Qashqai as to how well that smaller engine performed bearing in mind what I was used to. Last November, when I started investigating the up! (the QQ was more than we needed and so was costing £££ unnecessarily) I rememembered the 3-cyl 1.0 L Agila I had aa a loan car one day. I was amazed at how well it drove - later I was passed by another 1.0 Agila on the M25 when I was doing 70 in the Octavia.
So, I know form the many comments on this Forum that 75 bhp (as I wanted the BMT option) will be fine for our lifestyle - and for you I'd be confident the 60 bhp will only show its lack of the extra 15 bhp if you're trying to do 70mph ,or 0-60 in 10 secs, with 4 adults on board.

·
Registered
237 Posts

·
Registered
432 Posts
Thanks for the link.

(I'm no expert on the subject, BTW... just interested).

When looking at specifications of cars, I've always been aware of how some engines produce a lot of torque (mainly low-revving larger engines) and relatively little power (for their size) than smaller, higher-revving ones. There's a useful discussion of the concept here:

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

http://www.epi-eng.com/piston_engine_technology/power_and_torque.htm

"POWER
(the rate of doing WORK) is dependent on TORQUE and RPM.
  1. TORQUE and RPM are the MEASURED quantities of engine output.
  2. POWER is CALCULATED from torque and RPM, by the following equation:
<h5>HP = Torque x RPM ÷ 5252</h5>An engine produces POWER by providing a ROTATING SHAFT which can exert a given amount of TORQUE on a load at a given RPM. The amount of TORQUE the engine can exert usually varies with RPM."
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I think the rev range given there (3000 to 4300 if I remember correctly) shows the range at which the peak torque of 95 NM is available in both the 60PS and 75PS cars, after which it tails off. If that's right, then the 75PS car will not have more torque than the 60PS at any revs, but will go on to produce more peak power higher up the rev range.

I could be wrong, though!

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
This is all rather confusing too me.. however, is the moral of the story that both the 60 is an alright speed, but paying the extra for the 75 would be a waste of money as only produces more power at higher revs?

·
Registered
237 Posts
move up! said:
If that's right, then the 75PS car will not have more torque than the 60PS at any revs, but will go on to produce more peak power higher up the rev range.
In accordance with the above equation, the 75 PS engine can produce more power than the 60PS engine at any given rpm if the torque of the 75 PS is bigger than the torque of the 60 PS engine. This is why the torque of the 75 PS engine must be bigger than the torque of the 60 PS engine somewhere outside the 3 000""“4 300 prm range.

·
Registered
532 Posts
I feel it's a simple decision. If you have hills or wish to have spare power on motorways buy the 75hp engine. (Me I live in Cumbria)

If you think you want more power, but you don't like revving engines, buy the 60 hp engine as you don't need the 75 hp engine round town.

Finally, if you want options that require a higher hp engine then buy that one.

PS The badges are the same for both engines.

Edited by: ducatikid

·
Registered
604 Posts
It's all a bit too much like school for my liking
It's simple if you have the money and don't know what to spend it on buy the 75, if not the 60 will be OK, so don't worry about it to much

1 - 20 of 28 Posts