Up Owners Club banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have to admit that I've been lurking on here for some months now mainly due to work commitments.....but I really enjoy reading all that everyone has to contribute so on that note......opinions please....

I held off buying steelies and winter tyres and don't think that my triangle alloys have taken too much of a beating over the winter months but now I'm thinking that perhaps I should treat my Up to different set of alloys for the summer months. I'm a fan of bigger wheels but since my Up has already been wearing 16s I wondered if I should go down to a 14 for an old school look.....or should I just got for 17s? Too much choice! Also, for those riding 17s.....what tyre size? Is there any issue with 205 width and rubbing?

Last point to consider.....do I stick to black or dark grey wheels since my car is red? Or do I go for a change with silver alloys? I'm thinking of wrapping my roof in black gloss vinyl so I wondered if silver wheels might look out of place although they would be a nice change from the black triangle alloys. Don't think I'm brave enough to consider white alloys.....just before anyone mentions them

All comments and suggestions welcome! Thanks guys..and girls

·
Registered
1,438 Posts
Sack off big wheels. I'd stick, and will be doing soon, with 15s max. Of course it will need a good drop though to get the right stance.
White wheels along with a white wrapped roof would look pretty **** cool IMHO.

·
Registered
462 Posts
Well I have both 14 and 17 the bigger wheels transform the look of the car to be honest if I was in your situation I would not bother going from 16 to 17 wheel I am running 205/40/17 without any rubbing issues but again I would proberley go for 195 tyres Instead of the 205

·
Registered
523 Posts
I have the 16" classics on my Black and run 14" black steel wheels during the winter. Comfort wise no real difference, but i wouldn't run any bigger than 16".

·
Registered
53 Posts
I got 14" OZ superturismo WRC for my Citigo! And i think it fits well!!!

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the comments and suggestions so far. I must admit I like the look that bigger wheels give but regarding 14s I wouldn't be messing with the suspension. I already have the sports pack and although I am aware it doesn't give much of a drop that's where I will be sticking.

What tyres are you running on the 14s?

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yup I agree..... Just too many wheels to choose from!

·
Super Moderator
3,147 Posts
16 classics as supplied is as big as I'd ever go, 14" winters on just now and the ride is a wee bit more compliant (and the alloys don't get trashed with salt)

·
Super Moderator
3,147 Posts
Mulo said:
I love them classics!

Thanks...they are lovely in white.

·
Registered
202 Posts
I wouldn't go 17'' either, 16'' is plenty. I ordered my car with the 14'' metal ones and are looking to buy 16'' aftermarket ones :)

I'm going to buy 7'' in width too for the wide effect :) (still 185/50 tyres though) and i think I'll order ET35 for the front and ET32 for the rear, this should get the wheels almost in line with the car and ovoid the need for spacers (which are illegal in italy I don't know about UK).

James

·
Registered
583 Posts
scarja said:
I'm going to buy 7'' in width too for the wide effect :) (still 185/50 tyres though) and i think I'll order ET35 for the front and ET32 for the rear, this should get the wheels almost in line with the car and ovoid the need for spacers (which are illegal in italy I don't know about UK).
Won't 185 on 7" stretch the tyres too much ?

It's not a recommended fitting - 195 being the narrowest recommended fit on 7" .

·
Registered
33 Posts
I'll go old school. 6.5x15 with 205/50 R15 thas for me the only way to go. Don't like wheels where i got only rim to ride on. I need a bit of tyre in between.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Supermegamonkee said:
I have the 16" classics on my Black and run 14" black steel wheels during the winter. Comfort wise no real difference, but i wouldn't run any bigger than 16".

Is this lowered buddy and if so by what? Car looks spot on!

·
Registered
527 Posts
Optional 17's on my Street Up! Ride is great and I would have no worries replacing Polygons with any other 17" wheel, they fill the ample arches a treat.

Jonesy

·
Registered
354 Posts
I run 17s in the summer as that's what it came with, though I'd prefer the look of the 16 black classics.
Then 14 with winter tyres.
More movement with winter tyres due to larger side wall flex and the blocks moving around. Not an issue during the winter though handling isn't it's normal sharpness.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts