Up Owners Club banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So my move Up is on order and I am looking at roof bars and a bike rack.

I have found the genuine roof bars from a dealer on eBay for £145 which is a great price. However in theaccessoriesbrochure it only shows the bike rack for the five door. My dealer said I can get them for the three door however do I take this with a pinch of salt?

Can anyone confirm if they have the bike rack on a three door?

·
Registered
430 Posts
If you havn't purchased your bars yet I would personally opt for Thule bars and bike carriers rather than VW, they are excellent quality and less expensive than VW. Also VW roof bars are quite 'fat' and the some modern roof box's with the quick grip clamps on do not fit meaning you are again emptying your wallet at the VW counter for VW compatable products.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
No - I haven't ordered anything yet. I don't take delivery till June.

Looking at the Thule roof bars on hafrauds they do seem a lot cheeper! I am certainly open to all options as long as my beloved bike is safe!

·
Registered
237 Posts
Rickenbacker said:
If you havn't purchased your bars yet I would personally opt for Thule bars and bike carriers rather than VW, they are excellent quality and less expensive than VW.
Thule is the supplier of many car manufacturers, so I would not be surprised if VW bars were in fact Thule bars without the Thule logo.

·
Registered
430 Posts
I had a Thule proride carrier, very secure and easy to use once you get used to it and your bike will be safe! I think there are now even more variations of this available

·
Registered
430 Posts
I can confirm that the Golf MK 6 rof bars are not Thule, nor are they compatable with allThule accessories. I have just bought a Thule Motion roof box for my Golf and it did not fit on the original Golf roof bars so I have had to buy some new Thule bars. This is when I discovered that they are quicker to fit, better looking and less noisy than the more expensive VW ones.

·
Registered
727 Posts
gibsonc said:
Can anyone confirm if they have the bike rack on a three door?
I do (roof bars and bike rack all original VW).

·
Super Moderator
3,147 Posts
I've Thule aero bars and bike rack on the 3 door right now.....perfect fit and superb quality, also, if you need them to fit another car, just buy another foot pack.....I did

·
Super Moderator
3,147 Posts
Ps, they fit my wife's 5 door just as well!

·
Registered
124 Posts
I do not understand fitting a bike on the roof when a bike rack can be fitted on a towbar so much easier and in my opinion much more safe.

·
Registered
304 Posts
More safe? I do not understand why more safe? what for the bikes? Or some other reason...

Towbar fitment is currently in the realms of at your own risk, kissing goodbye to your insurance.... And even after you have spent the excess cash to have the towbar fitted to your up, you then cover your rear lights, indicators, number etc with your bike, which then becomes part of your crumple zone if some tail ends you because they can't see your tail brake lights coming on...

Why do cycle race teams put the bike on the roof, if it wasn't safe they wouldn't do it with fear of them falling off onto unsuspecting cyclists behind would they?

Mine goes on the roof rack... Much safer as I know it's up there... If you can't remember you have your bike on the roof draw a nice picture if it and stick it on your wheel as an aid to memory!Edited by: Markmod1

·
Registered
124 Posts
Why would an approved towbar certified and TUV tested for fitting a bike rack only sold by a number of firms such as Westfalia nullify your insurance.Have you ever seen a roof bike rack of a professional team they have nothing in common with the rubbish produced by Thule.

·
Registered
304 Posts
Yes I have seen a pro team roof rack, they have up to 6 bike plus wheels on the roof rack plus loads of wheels too...and yes these are bespoke fabricated. So you just have a hate for Thule roof racks then not the fact that they are on the roof, but that they are on an 'unsafe rubbish Thule roof rack'.

Interesting though that a large number of car manufacturers have Thule produce original fit roof racks for them... Must like cheap rubbish.

Well each to their own... You buy your towbar, pay to have it fitted, buy your tail fit towbar rack (avoiding Thule) and your light board, you will be good to goEdited by: Markmod1

·
Registered
393 Posts
skyhigh said:
Privatedoc said:
Ps, they fit my wife's 5 door just as well!
Is there actually any difference between a 3 door and 5 door set of bars?
Hi skyhigh. Yes there is a difference between 3 + 5 door racks. It's all down to the anchor points. The 5 door has 4 clamps, 1 at each door opening, but the 3 door has only 2 anchor points at the front doors and feet either side of where the rear does should be with a locking bar running from the front anchors to the feet. Have a look on the Thule website for more info and pictures. I've used both types and both work very well.

·
Registered
304 Posts
My three door rack has four feet, all very similar to each other, the only difference is that the front two bar feet have a 'peg' on each that fits into a hole at the top of the door shut. This helps locate and stop fore and aft movement of the front bar.

The rear bar feet don't have these pegs, but simply tighten onto the roof, clamping the car as it were to hold the rack in place. The rear bar has to be positioned above and between two small arrows on the rear window glass. I presume this area is strengthened in some way to take the weight of a laden rack.Edited by: Markmod1

1 - 20 of 31 Posts