Up Owners Club banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have read lots of threads about GTI ride quality. Bilstein B6 or B8 have been fitted by some (alone or as part of B12 kit). But there hasn't been much discussion of B4's.

Interestingly, this site lists B4 as suitable for Ups with the standard chassis or with sport suspension:

If I want a quiet well controlled rear end (fnarrr fnarr) and also maximum comfort, maybe I should try some B4's on the rear ?

Tempted just to give it a go unless anyone thinks it's daft. Less than £80 the pair so not a lot of expense to find out, and I understand rears are fairly easy to fit, unlike fronts ?

Any tips / thread links for self-fitting rear shocks ?

·
Registered
480 Posts
I think they could be worth a try if you aren't interested in getting rid of a bit of the huge arch gap!
If you do want to take it from someone who's tried lowering springs go straight to some quality coilovers you can then have your cake and eat it with a better ride quality and better looks and the most shocking thing is how much more control they have over speed bumps which are unfortunately part of daily life 😤

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah, I'm not looking to deliberately lower the car. If I had to lower it maybe 10-15mm as part of an overall solution that gave me better-than-factory comfort AND better handling, then I would be ok with that. Any more than 10-15mm and I would scrape the front end if I left our steep driveway too enthusiastically...

Remind me what coilovers you have ? Do you definitely have better than factory ride quality, I'm thinking particularly over potholes and other short sharp impacts ? How much road noise and vibration transmitted into the car body compared to factory ?

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
My overall philosophy with this Up is "a friendly little city car like our other Ups, just a bit cheekier". It's definitely fast enough and sticks to the tarmac well enough for me, just need to improve the ride quality.

·
Registered
480 Posts
Eibach pro Street S and you could probably run the car higher than standard if you wanted loads of adjustment front and rear. They were a bit of an investment but well worth it in my opinion. From what you have said I would try a set of better quality rear shocks and see how they work out

·
Registered
480 Posts
No more road noise or vibration as the kit uses all the factory bushes. The pothole sharp impact is mainly down to the shear weight of the GTi wheels I think but I would never change them as they make the car in my opinion! Wider tyres and lower pressures both help reduce that initial impact! Although I'm now experimenting with the factory comfort settings which is much higher than I was previously running just down to how much better damped the car is now on coilovers! I won't do anything that makes the car worse than it was from factory and if I do it comes off like the lowering springs due to the poor factory shocks really not coping and swallow the cost 🤑

·
Registered
600 Posts
You can’t go wrong with B4’s when using OEM springs.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Just dawned on me: if these don't suit the GTI, I can just put them on our 4 year old TSI, which I'm sure will definitely benefit from them !

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Bilstein B4 rear shocks were just £30 each via the Autodoc app. Very pleased with that. Prices seem to change all the time. Being shipped from Germany. I emailed their customer support and they assure me that there will be no VAT or import duty to pay on any orders from them, they take care of all that. Fingers crossed...

(fronts seem to go as low as £46 each. Tempted just to order them anyway while the price is good, they will end up on one of our Ups...)

·
Registered
480 Posts
Yes Autodoc is brilliant I managed to get the Eibach Pro Street S coilovers for £600 delivered by watching them for a couple months! I would probably get the fronts as well if it was me and do the lot together 👍

1 - 12 of 12 Posts