Up Owners Club banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
438 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My car is making a strange noise. It occurs when I drive above about 50mph with the roof open or tilted. It sounds like it's coming from above my head!

It is hard to describe but sounds like a leaf is flapping. It's a dull dub a dub a dub sound ?! I've looked and can't see anything trapped and I've tried to drive with my head sticking out of the roof like Rommel.

Can't hear it at all with the windows and roof closed. All I know is it's coming from above and behind me.

Any ideas? I wondered if it was the rubber aerial flapping in the wind but it's not.

Help!Edited by: Scrubnut

·
Registered
309 Posts
Wind turbulance?

In previous Golfs/Corrado's i've owned with sunroofs, I had that sort of low pitched sound you describe at certain speeds with the roof open. Those sunroofs had a pop up spoiler/wind deflector thing, and if you pressed it down out of the way of the airflow, the noise would sometimes stop (or get worse) depending on what speed you were doing.

So guessing it's just normal wind noise?

·
Registered
115 Posts
I get the same noise from my passat with the sunroof tilted. if i open the roof fully then its worse.I was told that you can get a wind deflector to fit on the front edge of sunroofs. Not seen any on the VW website, on the door wind deflectors...
I don't know if these work or not.. as never tried one...
I use the Sunroof when i first get in the car to vent out the heat... then shut it and let the air-con take over.
my New Cross up does not have a sunroof... no option... so its open the windows first... be happy on the 12th Nov when i pick it up from the Autostadt in Wolfsburg.
Be Safe - Its **** out their.

·
Registered
438 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
This noise sounds like someone banging on the window with a lump of rubber. Would air turbulence happen when the roof is just tilted then?

·
Registered
115 Posts
YES. turbulence is caused by the disruption of airflow over a surface.by tilting the roof upward you are changing the shape of the roof line. thus introducing a disruption to the normal airflow. air is thus being pulled into the cabin of the car and trying to continue in its normal path... thus turbulence is created. this can cause a drumming like noise or dub dub dub sound as you are describing. as the speed increases thus the turbulence will increase. and the pitch and rhythm of the sound will change accordingly, depending on the amount of turbulence produced.

·
Registered
438 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Cheers for the info everyone. I'll stop searching for loose hoses now

1 - 7 of 7 Posts