Up Owners Club banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm sure I read something on here about dash cams a while back. I'm getting a RoadHawk HD and will probably have it fitted by someone who knows what they're doing. I'd like it hard wired so that it can be left on during parking. Any cautionary comments or hints? Will I need a power gadget that cuts off the supply if the battery gets low? Last but not least, did anyone get an insurance discount for fitting a cam?

·
Registered
176 Posts
Hi Dadog, I have the RoadHawk DC1 installed in mine. Extremely easy to hide the wiring which I originally had going to the 12v socket by the gearlever.

That was a bit of a pain so had it hard wired in by an auto electrician for £30.00. I took the option of not leaving it live with the ignition off, just couldn't ultimately see the point and didn't have the confidence of potentially running the battery flat although that's what Roadhawk's hard wiring set is supposed to avoid. When you play back the sd card into their software linked to GPS, it's quite extraordinary.

I'm torn at the moment over whether to upgrade it to the RoadHawk HD or buy the Blackvue DR500.

However, sanity is currently winning because the DC1 camera does an extremely good job both day and night, with reg. plates legible.

I bought mine for protection in the event of an accident and it just does what it "says on the can" - you just don't need to do anything with it, it's fully automatic.

If I had to start from scratch again I think I would go with the Blackvue DR 500 because of the wifi and the app to a mobile or ipad.

Blackvue also do a gizmo called the Power Magic Pro which allows recording when away from the car. Not completely sure how it works but I would guess it just picks up motion outside the car.

I also feel quite sure that the way the insurance industry is headed, I can see a time in the not too distant future when these cameras will be compulsory on all cars. As an after market product they provide a lot of security in the event of an accident and I know some insurers are offering discounts already. I reckon they'll become standard/optional fitment in new cars as well.

Dadog, if I can help, just PM me.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks a lot Ecksile. Really helpful. Yes, I had a long look at the Blackvue - lovely bit of kit and as you say, has wi-fi built in. I'm not into smart phones (too old I think!) so decided to go for the RoadHawk in the end. Beauty of the Blackvue is you can check that the unit is set correctly (on your phone) instead of having to take your SD card and run it on the computer. I think the Power Magic Pro is the voltage control gizmo that gets wired in and cuts off the cam when voltage drops to a certain level. RoadHawk do a similar unit for £25. I'll have to decide if I want to keep an eye on things when I'm parked. It's only a front facing cam after all.The way the insurance companies are going, anything that helps with an accident claim has to be good. My partner lightly bumped someone from behind at a roundabout and there was a subsequent claim, a year later, for whiplash! Thing was a woman made the claim but a man was driving at the time! Couldn't be proved. With a camera, I would have got him on camera.
Thanks for your offer of help. Very nice of you.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Be careful leaving you camera recording whilst the car is parked. If your car is parked facing someone's house you may well be filming there comings and goings, this classed as intrusive surveillance especially if the person captured in the footage can be easily identified. Article 8 of the human rights act covers this. (Just sayin)

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Surfsmarty said:
Be careful leaving you camera recording whilst the car is parked. If your car is parked facing someone's house you may well be filming there comings and goings, this classed as intrusive surveillance especially if the person captured in the footage can be easily identified. Article 8 of the human rights act covers this. (Just sayin)

Good point Smurfsy. You need to be careful these days. I fitted a security light/camera to the front of the house and this takes video of anything that moves! (Watched two skateboarders trample our daffodils at the front once!). It's what you do with the pictures that matters, I guess.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
up-down-under said:
hi guys,
just ordered a dr500gw wifi 32gb incl. power magic.

Yep. Looked at that one. Nice choice, mate. It will do everything you want. I believe you can revolve the camera in its mount and film rearwards. Am I right?

·
Registered
432 Posts
Yeah, I have the Roadhawk DC-1 too, and it works a treat.

I have a small bullet-cam facing rearwards out of the back. This is the one that frightens me the most when reviewing footage. The number of times you get cars speeding towards you, only to see the front suspension slam down at the last minute, and the driver's eyes popping. Forward observation seems to be about 10 metres for most drivers. The IAM recommends massive distances of forward observation...

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
move up! said:
Yeah, I have the Roadhawk DC-1 too, and it works a treat.

I have a small bullet-cam facing rearwards out of the back. This is the one that frightens me the most when reviewing footage. The number of times you get cars speeding towards you, only to see the front suspension slam down at the last minute, and the driver's eyes popping. Forward observation seems to be about 10 metres for most drivers. The IAM recommends massive distances of forward observation...

I think the IAM are right too. It took me a while to look a lot further ahead but I do it consciously most of the time now. It is so easy to concentrate on the back of the car in front instead of looking a few cars ahead to see and maybe anticipate what might be happening. One of the reasons why it's good to keep a decent distance so that your view is better (and you don't run into the back of move-up's car and get your picture taken!).

·
Registered
115 Posts
I am also looking for a camera system for my new UP. due to the high speeds on Autobahns here in Germany, you also need to look further down the road both ways...Ive seen some bad crashes over here.

I have been looking at a Smart Witness system SVC412GPS.
Can connect up to four cameras to the system for simultaneous recording. its a bit pricey though. comes with 2 cameras in the price. Maybe overkill... anyone else seen these?

What with way some people park in the city, think i need need it. As i watched one women just reverse into a parked car, and then pull forward and just walk away... don't fancy coming back to my new car and finding someone has bashed it. then run away.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Not seen or heard of the Smart Witness system, GarethB but it sounds a good, comprehensive set up. Like yours, some of the car parks - and those that park in them, are scary to say the least! I can only see a camera system of some sort, whether driving or parking, to be reassuring. Let us know how you get on.

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
Been watching dash cam results on you tube. They seem a good idea but often produce incriminating results.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Indeed it can show this..But also it can be used by yourself to analyse your driving style.
Showing all the little things we do wrong, and hopefully we can becoming a more competent drivers.

Because not matter how good any of us think we are... we are all guilty of mistakes and bad driving habits.

Some driving schools are using these cameras not only for accidents but to help the learner analyse where he or she is going wrong..
Also in the commercial world for van/lorry drivers, Taxis etc... As a lot of the systems track speed, and force of impact sensors..
maybe in the future all new cars will come with these built in...

·
Registered
176 Posts
Had one of these for a while now, I use the RoadHawk DC1 which gives a very good recording.

If I was buying from new again though, I think I'd probably go for the Black Vue DR500GW HD with WiFi, more expensive but as a driving instructor think the WiFi aspect would be invaluable for lesson analysis. Being an instructor was not the reason I chose to buy one by the way.

As stated here, absolutely invaluable for peace of mind and I too think they'll soon be compulsory from insurance company's.

I think 4 cameras is overkill. Rear facing camera, not sure but didn't think it worthwhile overall. Anything hit the rear of your car, it's the other parties fault anyway.

Also had the option of making the camera active whilst parked. Didn't go for it, at the end of the day couldn't really see any benefit (and neither incidentally could the tech dept at RoadHawk either)

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I finally ended up with the RoadHawk HD which turns out to be a superb piece of kit. The pictures are great with no difficulty picking up car reg. plates. No rouble wiring it up to the cigar lighter. Cable tucks into the front edge of the head lining, across the screen and down the left hand pillar, hiding between the rubber door seal until it comes across under the glove compartment to the pick up point. I bought a 64Gb SD card which handles hours of motoring. Only one problem with the card slot, which wouldn't release the card as easily as it should. Whole camera was replaced, without question and in 3 days.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Thanks guys this has given me much to think about...I still like the idea of 2 cams.... one front and back.
Suppose because in Germany having the bad snow and ice on the roads... more accidents happen because people carry on sliding into the car...
I had someone bash into my old car and drive off a few years ago... so I had to end up paying for my own repair... Don't want that with my new UP... if it did could have them bang to rights...
Also noted with the Smart Witness system some insurers will give a discount if fitted... Not sure about in Germany... but as i am with AXA anyway and they are on the list... i my get a discount... Do you get that with some of the other cams?

·
Registered
265 Posts
I just asked my insurance company if they would discount my car insurance if I fit one of these cameras, still waiting for a reply! :)

·
Registered
28 Posts
Hi everyone
Just browsing when I came across this thread. Had not considered a dash cam before but you have got me thinking. When I get my Up will definitely look into it. Anyone had one fitted by their dealer?
I'll let you know how I get on.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
tonyup said:
Hi everyone
Just browsing when I came across this thread. Had not considered a dash cam before but you have got me thinking. When I get my Up will definitely look into it. Anyone had one fitted by their dealer?
I'll let you know how I get on.

RoadHawk have a fitting service as well. They will come to you if required. Any good auto electrical engineer will do the job if you prefer. It really is quite easy to do. I was doubtful at first but found it a doodle.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts