Up Owners Club banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone!

I got my up! two weeks ago and I’m loving every moment with this car, it has exceeded my expecatations. The tsi engine is brilliant ( just a bit viby ) and I haven’t driven yet another small car like the up! with a suspension so competent in dealing with bumps without compromising too much stability.

You guys might notice, it is the brazilian version. So, there are some changes to fit it better to our market, I’ll name some of them if you guys are curious.

- The fuel tank can hold to 50 liters
- The suspension sits 2cm ( if I’m not mistaken ) higher than the european up!
- Our up!’s can only come with 14 inches wheels and 175/70 tyres or 15 inches and 185/60 tyres.
- The back windows goes all the way down, but only manually.
- Does not come with a glass tailgate
- It has 5 seats, in theory.
- About safety, only comes with front air bags, ABS and traction control.
- Our facelifted up! came with some cheaply designed tail lights, but overall I think they look nice, but not as nice as the european.
- We don’t get many colors or versions to personalize our up! ):

Attachments

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well, here in Brazil people still have a lot of prejudice towards paying extra for a 1.0 liter engine, so it is a marketing play from VW. That number should represent the engine torque, so the up is 170 TSI because it has 170Nm ( actually, it has 165Nm ) of torque. Our polo has a 200 TSI badge, the 1.4 TSI golf and jetta gets a 250 TSI and so on... just smoke and mirror, means nothing special actually.

·
Registered
233 Posts
Thanks, makes sense. You say it's Move Up! - is that red trim at the front standard? Here we only get that with the GTI version, if yes that's sweet!

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It is original, every TSI comes with this red trim, black front bumper ( like the GTI ) and black tailgate. Only thing that isn’t original is the VW logo on the wheel, it came with black logos and I changed for the white ones.
Thinking about buying the boot false floor, leather gear knob and the chrome trim that goes on the tailgate.

Attachments

·
Registered
957 Posts
Looks better with the wind down rear windows.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Fascinating, thanks for sharing. So intriguing to see how VW present their products in different markets. Do you know where your up!s are produced?

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Our up!’s are produced right here in Brazil and supplies other south american countries. I just wished VW’s build quality was better around here...

·
Registered
29 Posts
Cool, you guys have had some amazing VWs over there years, that we'll never see. Has the up! always been made there, right from model launch?

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
For us, the up! was introduced in 2014 and it was promised to take the place of the VW Gol ( our entry level VW ), as the next Gol would be built with the MQB-A0 platform... None of that happened and VW seems to be trying to find out what to do with those 2, since the new polo has just launched here to replace the VW Fox and has been very successful on that.

I was looking for a 75hp three cylinder VW polo to replace my VW Fox ( it was also a 75hp three cylinder ), but the dealer offered me the up! TSI for a test drive and I thought: “Why not?” :grin:

If you’re curious about how the Fox looked after 2 facelifts, here goes some pictures :wink::

Attachments

·
Registered
233 Posts
I think that the Fox (as shown here) is (was?) superior to Up! which it supposedly replaced (at least in Europe, that is).
For example lights, instrument cluster, radio...

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
It’s been a while, but I have made a few small mods on my up!

Replaced the original rubber gear knob for a leather knob, much nicer to the touch.

Bought a cap for when I’m not using the smartphone mount on the dash. It didn’t come with the car, but I think it should.

And the chrome trim that goes at the rear.

Also, I didn’t take pictures, but I have fitted some sound insulation materials at the spare wheel space, to reduce road noise. And some under the back seat bench to reduce the noise of fuel moving when it’s 3/4 or more. I believe the first one made a small but welcome difference, the second one was the most noticeable.

About the Fox, it was a very good car. Just not what VW was charging us for.

Attachments

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Finally got my hands on my OSRAM LEDs for DRL and have some observations:

1- It was pretty easy to install, plug and play.

2- They are very bright and white.

3- Did not have the oportunity to inspect it better under sunlight but I’m afraid that this bulb ( because of the disposition of the LEDs ) doesn’t get the most of the bulb reflector from the headlight, and it may not look as bright during the day as the original bulb. There’s an area of the reflector, just around the bulb, that does not seem to reflect any light properly.

4- Reflecting sideways seems to project the same light footprint as before.

5- Overall I am very satisfied, it was exactly what I expected!

6- Just one more picture of my favorite part of the up!, the interior!

Attachments

1 - 15 of 15 Posts