Up Owners Club banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,492 Posts
Legal or not, why would anyone add a risk, albeit small, of not being seen as early by another driver, in dark or murky conditions? If you get rear-ended, it's not your fault, but I worry about not encouraging the millions of half-awake drivers out there!
Not having a go here - I'm happy you like the look, and you are not putting anyone else at risk, so it's no big deal.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Legal or not, why would anyone add a risk, albeit small, of not being seen as early by another driver, in dark or murky conditions? If you get rear-ended, it's not your fault, but I worry about not encouraging the millions of half-awake drivers out there!
Not having a go here - I'm happy you like the look, and you are not putting anyone else at risk, so it's no big deal.
The legal aspects of it have been thought out by those who have power over car modifications, they feel 50% light to be sufficient so I won't argue 😂 I've tested them since adding the film and the lights are still very bright and shouldn't really cause any negative effects in terms of being seen by other drivers

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
That's a good idea - you can have lights that can still be seen on a dreary night night or in fog, if you fit LEDs and still keep the dark look!
I was thinking about getting some new LED's for the rear.. but also considering a GTI UP!

·
Registered
1,492 Posts
Yeah, watch out with rear LEDs - they are not strictly legal, being too bright, and not E-marked..... What you'll need is dimming film over the lights. Oh, err...

I'm cheap, so only changed the reversing lights for LEDs, and it is a huge improvement on a dark, wet night. I doubt the technical illegality will ever be noticed. Except when I'm 90 and reversing on the M5, blinding oncoming vehicles with my reversing lights....

·
Registered
407 Posts
Have you notified your insurance of the changes ?? Any kind of modifications must be notified. They might argue that you’ve dimmed your rear lights. Or someone who runs into the back of you might. Many of us have dash cameras and it could show on those if an incident occurred. Or you or any passengers might not be able to make a claim in the event of a rear collision.
Legal or not surely the lights must be dimmer than before.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts