Up Owners Club banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Noticed that thereis no blindspot mirror on on the 'up' but did notice that the mirrors are more elongated so does this compensate for lack of blindspot check for the driver ???I have one on my polo at the mommentand do use it alot on the motorway.

·
Registered
55 Posts
littleredcar said:
Noticed that thereis no blindspot mirror on on the 'up' but did notice that the mirrors are more elongated so does this compensate for lack of blindspot check for the driver ???
Yes the furthest section of the mirror is uhh.. warped so it gives a bit more vision than just normal mirror. The dotted line signifies where it ceases to be a normal mirror.

·
Premium Member
1,179 Posts
good to know, is it me or are the wing mirrors pretty huge? or am i just too used to old tiny mirrors of my polo?

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
David M said:
littleredcar said:
Noticed that thereis no blindspot mirror on on the 'up' but did notice that the mirrors are more elongated so does this compensate for lack of blindspot check for the driver ???
Yes the furthest section of the mirror is uhh.. warped so it gives a bit more vision than just normal mirror. The dotted line signifies where it ceases to be a normal mirror.
Both the cars we saw in the dealership didnt have the dotted lines on at all , has anyone noticed the lined blindspot on the UK 'UP' model....

·
Registered
55 Posts
littleredcar said:
Both the cars we saw in the dealership didnt have the dotted lines on at all , has anyone noticed the lined blindspot on the UK 'UP' model....
Did you check both mirrors? It's only on the drivers' side on mine.

·
Registered
66 Posts
For me it's OK !

·
Registered
956 Posts
No dotted line or "warping" on either of my mirrors so maybe it's just standard outside the UK.

·
Registered
1,382 Posts
I have not noticed a dotted line or warped mirror.

willowaz said:
good to know, is it me or are the wing mirrors pretty huge? or am i just too used to old tiny mirrors of my polo?
They are big, which I like as they have excellent visibility. I wonder if VW did the mpg tests without mirrors? I have read that manufacturers fiddle them.

·
Registered
705 Posts
The MPG tests aren't carried out on the road, so not having mirrors won't affect the figures. Although this link is for the US, I imagine that the EU uses a similar system.

http://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/how_tested.shtml

Nick

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
My high up has also got the mirror with the dotted line on drivers side only.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Collas said:
The MPG tests aren't carried out on the road, so not having mirrors won't affect the figures. Although this link is for the US, I imagine that the EU uses a similar system.

Nick

Loads of information here from the uk/gov website.
http://www.dft.gov.uk/vca/fcb/the-fuel-consumption-testing-scheme.asp

The are lots of things that worry me about these tests, such as this quote from the above website.
<h3 style="font-size: 0.8em; margin-bottom: 0px; font-family: Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif; line-height: normal;">"WHO DOES THE TESTING?</h3>The testing is carried out either by independent test organisations, or by the vehicle manufacturers or importers themselves, usually at their own test facilities."Doing their own testing is just asking for manufacturers to find ways to exploit the tests. One thing they can do is to provide a car with an ECU programmed to achieve the best test results. How many do this?The tests are intended to provide purchasers with comparative information but they do not provide the confidence that this objective is realistically achieved.Red Move with sensor and winter pack.

·
Registered
134 Posts
I think MY 12 cars didn't have a blind spot mirror on the UK driver's side, certainly the up! black demonstrator at my dealer's didn't, whereas my MY 13 up! black has, and a jolly good thing too!

·
Registered
1,382 Posts
elevenup said:
Collas said:

Nick

Loads of information here from the uk/gov website.
http://www.dft.gov.uk/vca/fcb/the-fuel-consumption-testing-scheme.asp

The are lots of things that worry me about these tests, such as this quote from the above website.
<h3 style="font-size: 0.8em; margin-bottom: 0px; font-family: Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif; line-height: normal;">"WHO DOES THE TESTING?</h3>The testing is carried out either by independent test organisations, or by the vehicle manufacturers or importers themselves, usually at their own test facilities."Doing their own testing is just asking for manufacturers to find ways to exploit the tests. One thing they can do is to provide a car with an ECU programmed to achieve the best test results. How many do this?The tests are intended to provide purchasers with comparative information but they do not provide the confidence that this objective is realistically achieved.Red Move with sensor and winter pack.
I do think that somehow the mpg figures are fiddled. I was doing almost the ideal journey daily, with few stops, minimal traffic, good long runs, and managed 65 to 67mpg, just above the combined figure. I am now down to ~57mpg, due to Winter and congestion including traffic lights.

·
Registered
604 Posts
Take up and move up dont have blind spot mirrors high, white and black do

dont know why this is asked in the dealers they could not give me an answer

1 - 20 of 22 Posts