Up Owners Club banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, as per my post in the Newbie sub-forum, I'm the proud owner of a blue Rock Up. The puzzling thing is that, when I have been on the vw.co.uk configurator, I was only given the options of selecting red, white or black as an exterior colour and can't see any other colours in any of the classifieds I've searched?
So, that leaves me a bit puzzled. My car has all the decals etc, bodykit and sound pack and lists as aRock up!when I put the registration number into insurance forms, for example,but I can't see any other blue ones. Was it a time-limited option or special order/something similar?

Any insight into this gratefully received. Not worried, just intrigued!

·
Registered
1,286 Posts
It MIGHT simply have been a mistake - or a "pre series try" ...

I am an "expert" about old Fender guitars and basses.
There are loads of fakes on ebay and it is often hard to tell if this is a real (and precious) old Fender instrument. One hint that it is original are slight mistakes or mixtures of specs.
This was long before the internet and so no one in a music shop or any customer could say what the standard really is. "Oh, I found an old bass bridge behind the shelf!" > "Mount it! It cost us money and no one will ever find out it is the pre version ..."

The Rock up! has never been available in Germany, so less Rock up!s are made than Groove up!s or the three main versions. Maybe workers made a mistake? Maybe someone in Britain ordered this "not suitable version" by mistake and Bratislava produced it as ordered because everything else takes too much time ...

I think your up! is a "misprint" ...

The car itself is okay > sell it!

We have two organe painted Kawasaki Estrellas in Germany. Both were pre versions which came to Germany for tests before the Estrella was sold. Kawasaki Germany decided not to sell orange ones but only Windsor Green Estrellas. So, these two were the only ones officially brought to Europe. The are one or two orange ones in Britain - but they are "grey imports" from Japan.

So, your up! might have been one of the first tries???
BUT the colour Dark Metalic Blue came after the launch of the Rock up!, So, I don't think it was an "official interal try" which was sold anyway. The theorie of the "mistake" seems more likely to me ...

What do I really KNOW in the end? NOTHING ...

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the reply. Very interesting, I may write to the previous owner to see what they say. It would be a really nice bonus if my car is very rare or, even better, a one off.

In the classifieds I've seen some dodgy Rocks. At least two just appear to be high ups with upsilon alloys, no body kit at all. One dealer has a Rock for sale but it has high up alloys - I imagine they swapped them out for another car at some point. Edited by: Storvay

·
Registered
176 Posts
Based upon the theory put forward by Cadfael, I'd be inclined to suggest that your "mistaken" purchase may actually increase in value, due to its extreme rarity.

Athough, instead of selling it right now, I'd be inclined to suggest that you hold on to it for a while.

It may take something as simple as a Hollywood blockbuster, where the Up! is one the featured vehicles, to pique world-wide interest.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Miserable Git said:
It may take something as simple as a Hollywood blockbuster, where the Up! is one the featured vehicles, to pique world-wide interest.
I heard that when they make that film, they'll be using Mii and citigo as stunt doubles....

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Spoke with the original supplying dealer yesterday.

I didn't fully get it but apparently, my car was a 'misbuild' in the factory - erroneously allocated as a Rock up, sound pack fitted etc. Registered as Rock up, decals and kit fitted by dealer. I don't quite get it but the guy I spoke to knew what I was speaking about straight away, "Oh, you've got our blue Rock up! It's a one of a kind, put it in a glass case!"

So, unless another one comes out of the woodwork, it appears that I have the only non white/black/red Rock up - very pleased indeed!

·
Registered
1,286 Posts
Looks like I was right with my "logical analysis" ...

There MIGHT be one or two Rock up!s in Germany if they built a "mirrored Rock up!" by mistake ...
Labled as "special high up!" (because Germany has no Rock up!) ...

Every change of the "mistake" costs money (and brain work) ...
Dealers have to take X cars per month ...
So, give it to a dealer. There are always customers who have never visited the config website - or simply like the "special version".

I own an "Epiphone Les Paul Standard GoldTop" guitar.
The "GoldTop" version has never been sold by Epiphone this way! It is a "misprint", too!
There was a "Lynyrd Skynyrd" special LP but not 100% like mine. And the box my GoldTop came in said that the colour/version was "Amber"! They had no suiting box because this version had never officially been built ...

Enjoy your "misprint" as it is really something very special!

And it looks great!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts