Up Owners Club banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi just wondered if any one has the 75ps bluemotion engine.
What's the stop/start engine like and mainly the MPG around town and a good run.
Thirdly what is the sunroof like on these is anyone can send me pictures fron the in and out of all the positions will be greatful. Thanks

·
Registered
93 Posts
I have the Bluemotion 60ps. The stop/start is only part of the technology used to reduce emissions and how effective that is would depend on the traffic conditions. If you are stopping for traffic lights and would put the car into neutral, that is where it works. If it is just slow, stop/start traffic, where you are only stopped momentarily, then it is going to be like any other small car since you generally do not have the time to go handbrake-neutral every time. You also have to consider the energy consumption when re-starting an engine as clearly this has to be less than the energy saving when the engine is stopped.

I have never seen the point of a sunroof. If it is cold I have the heater on and it would be shut. If it is hot I have the air conditioning on and it would be shut. If I want fresh air, I walk or pinch my wife's BMW cabriolet....

Nick

·
Registered
397 Posts
Boxerdog said:
Thirdly what is the sunroof like on these?.....
Slightly off topic for this thread's title, but to answer your question, we had a fixed panoramic roof on our Qashqai (came as standard) and it certainly made the car a lot more lighter and airy. Could be closed off with a blind. Rear and front passengers alike all commented favourably on it so I ordered it on our up!
The up! roof goes one further and opens. We drove from Gatwick to Swindon the other day with it OPEN all the way! Reminiscent of my dad's Morris 10, JMM 444. I was amazed at how little road noise there was And my wife absolutely loved it. True it probably increases fuel consumption but we didn't use the a/c.
Would I spend £655on it again? Probably, as always thinking of effect on resale value. Time will tell as to how robust and reliable the whole assembly and fitment proves to be. Will it stay watertight?
If you want more opinions/ideas, enter "sunroof" into the Search box. To date there's 87 posts mentioning the sunroof. Most are probably not applicable to your query, but several are very relevant!

Edited by: PeterWestSussex

·
Registered
235 Posts
I have a 75 BMT. As most of my journeys are 30+ miles with relatively few traffic hold-ups, with hindsight BMT has no real impact on my fuel consumption which was 50 overall during the winter and is currently 54 in the warmer weather - with the a/c on 80% of the time.

I don't have a sun-roof - I've had them as standard on cars in the past, but I don't see the point now, when you have a/c. From my experience it will add little to the re-sale value of the car when you want to sell it - few options retain much of their cost. It may help you sell it, however, particularly if you were to sell it privately.

·
Registered
42 Posts
I have just a normal 75ps, it only has about 1500 miles on it, and i dont drive very conservatively, and a round trip of about 70 miles, half in town, half on country roads, with the a/c on, i get an average of around 55/60mpg, i dont see the need for a bmt, and for the sunroof, it does make the car feel more light and airy, i just wouldnt have one, go for a lighter colour interior, i dont see the need for a sunroof tbh.

·
Registered
167 Posts
I have a 75 PS BMT. Mpg around town I normally get around 49mpg. Commute to work which is motorway and normal roads I average around 62mpg. And the sunroof is great. Here are some pictures,
[/URL]
[/URL]
[/URL]

·
Registered
583 Posts
Looks big on the outside - and VW emphasises this, but from the inside, it's fairly small.

I can't see the point in one though - just one more place where you might get a leak.

It's not hardened glass, it can break when something drops onto it.

·
Registered
167 Posts
It like most sunroofs really. Some people like it, some don't. The person that posted here was not looking for opinions, let everyone decide for themselves on what they want on their cars. There is always someone that has to post their negative opinions when no one really asked. Anyways,I love the look, I love the sunroof and is a great hing o have, especially on days like these!!!!!! Edited by: GPVG26

·
Registered
124 Posts
I think the sunroof looks superb wish I had one.Before I retired I always had cars with opening glass sunroofs and I never had any problems with them over many many years.

·
Registered
583 Posts
Boxerdog said:
What's the stop/start engine like
It does what it's supposed to do, but it's a bit rough on restarts - you really feel those. It's still a 3 cylinder after all.

There's no delay on restarting.
Engine is running again by the time you have the clutch fully pushed in, so you can shove it into gear right away.

It may get in your way in traffic jams - until you remember to push the off button for it and keep the engine running

·
Registered
604 Posts
_1S_ said:
Boxerdog said:
What's the stop/start engine like
It does what it's supposed to do, but it's a bit rough on restarts - you really feel those. It's still a 3 cylinder after all.

There's no delay on restarting.
Engine is running again by the time you have the clutch fully pushed in, so you can shove it into gear right away.

It may get in your way in traffic jams - until you remember to push the off button for it and keep the engine running
never had a problem with traffic the only way the engine will stop is if you have it in neutral and foot off clutch which I don't do in traffic

I think it is very smooth to restart

·
Registered
397 Posts
_1S_ said:
It does what it's supposed to do, but it's a bit rough on restarts - you really feel those.
Not sure what is meant by this ... mine starts very smoothly - every time. And altho there is the manual over-ride switch, if it's stop start traffic, it cancels the stop/start mode and just stays on running - that's what I've found!

·
Registered
167 Posts
Mine also. I have never used the manual over-ride button. Is always smooth on restarts as well. And in heavy traffic, if I don't want it to go off, I just keep the clutch pressed. But never had any problems. Edited by: GPVG26

·
Registered
583 Posts
PeterWestSussex said:
_1S_ said:
It does what it's supposed to do, but it's a bit rough on restarts - you really feel those. 
Not sure what is meant by this ... mine starts very smoothly - every time.
I can really feel it restarting, as it's shaking a fair bit.
Once it's running again, it's OK.

When I get back into my 8 year old diesel car, the up! feels mighty quiet & smooth though - even when restarting

1 - 18 of 18 Posts