Up Owners Club banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys,

First post on here and just had a quick question before I purchase a new Up.

I see the Bluemotion engine is in the region of £300 extra over the standard 1.0 and shows an increase of 6mpg on the combined cycle.

I'll be doing in the region of 12,000 miles a year and will keep the car in the region of 4 years.

Now if the engine will give me in the region of 6mpg better economy then I will see that £300 back fairly quickly but will I?

I know none of you will have owned both so will be hard to tell but is the Bluemotion be the better buy?

Any thoughts will be greatly received.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Plus its zero car duty in the UK plus cheaper to insure and has a better resale value.I have a BMT test drove the normal one apart from the obvious stop start there seemed to be no difference.

·
Registered
430 Posts
I have the blue motion move up 60, during these warmer months and now run in with over 6000 mile on clock I'm achieving a consistent 55mpg on a 25 mile daily round trip. This includes 3 miles of town driving from a cold engine, 2 miles duel carriageway (50 mph limit)and the rest twisty country roads through several villages. I'm happy with this but if choosing again would possibly opt for a standard move up with sensor pack. Road tax is only £20 per year, owners report similar mpg or higher for standard cars and the stop start feature is not really much help unless you live in a city. If you do live in a city where congestion charges apply then its definitely the blue motion, otherwise the jury is still open. The other possibility is however the BMT might be more desirable as a used car in the future with the zero tax and supposed higher mpg.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys.

Good experience there and think ill opt for the standard 60ps.

I've worked out that over 12,000 miles a year, even if I do get an increase of 6 mpg on the Bluemotion I'll save £100 a year so take 3-4 years to see my money back.

And I can deal with the £20 extra road tax:)Edited by: StanUp

·
Registered
851 Posts
Also, don't forget the Government is always tweaking the CO2 figure - so a Bluemotion that is free of tax this year will probably incur annual car tax in future years. You're probably better off spending the bluemotion money on the sensor pack instead and enjoy the savings to be made with cruise control.

·
Registered
851 Posts
I don't know everything in the pack but the main things are reversing alarm, cruise control and a multi-function computer which gives you average and current fuel consumption etc. i wish i had it on my move up! Google for price but £350 rings a bell.Edited by: AlanG

·
Registered
176 Posts
Just wanted to point out as well that for any London dwellers/commuters the 60 BMT is almost a must.

Although Transport for London are moving the goalposts, my commute into London is not only more economical in the traffic with stop/start, I also pay no road tax but most importantly I pay no Congestion Charge.

Since that is £10 per day, you don't have to be a brilliant mathematician to work out that I save the extra BMT costs in just 6 weeks. This saving is currently guaranteed til 2016

Often forgotten point I think.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Given the choice again I would still buy a BMT all I have had to do is fit four decent speakers and a bluetooth system to kake it an all round city car.
I was talking to a VW sales manager recently who told me he could easily sell secondhand BMTs as they were at a premium but standard Ups were sticking a bit in fact he did not want anymore.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Ok well maybe I should consider the BMT.

I don't live in London so congestion charge isn't an issue.

I'll see how the PCP works out tomorrow, if the end figure is £300 higher than the normal 1.0 then the monthly payment will be near enough the same.

Free insurance for a year and the service package for £199 all sounds good to me!

Edited by: StanUp

·
Registered
113 Posts
With more and more people focusing on economy and bringing down energy costs, I would say that its worth buying the BMT version.
Its still 6MPG (On paper) extra than the non BMT version.. That would make it more attractive on the second hand market when you do sell it

·
Registered
222 Posts
You can't really lose out in my eyes. Your gonna get better MPG and as fuel prices rise smaller cars with the most efficient engines become more desirable so you should easily see your £300 back if not more.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts