Up Owners Club banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello

I am looking at purchasing a new HIGH UP 75 but cant decide whether to go for the BMT version or not.

I drive about 18K miles per year and 75% of those miles are out of town with probably 20% of those miles on motorways.

Will running the BMT version over 5 years save me money or is the additional technology just going to be a potential reliability burden with little benefit for me?

Thanks

Bozzer

·
Registered
525 Posts
I had to make a similar calculation and decided it would just about pay over 5 years so I went for it. With mainly rural driving on a commute into a small town plus motorway regularly to London and back the stop/start was rarely used, but now I've moved to London it's a different story. Every time I drive I spend 5-10 minutes stationary so I reckon it's really saving money. Plus no congestion charge and no tax, so I'm very happy.

·
Registered
95 Posts
The tyres are Continental Premium Contact 2E and are available in the UK through ASDA Tyres for £53 fitted. I drive around 9,000 miles a year mainly stop start traffic and I estimated that the extra cost for the BMT would pay for itself within 3 years. Add to that economical vehicles hold their price better, the BMT versions 'should' be worth a little extra when it comes to selling it on

·
Registered
95 Posts
For anyone in thew UK, I cannot link directly to the exact tyre but go tohttp://www.asdatyres.co.uk/175-65-14 and scroll down until you see
Continental
175/65R14 82T Premium Contact 2 E

I hope this helps anyone that needs it as I imagine it may be a lot more direct with VW

·
Registered
1,286 Posts
My Lupo made less 15,000 miles in 10 years ...

My up! will be a normal up!.
It is more than normal that you get battery problems with 1,500 miles a year and the BMT up! has a special battery (for the "break energy"). So, I better KISS - keep it short & simple ...

The BMT has different electronic. If you love some "special effects", the BMT model is your car.

·
Registered
525 Posts
I think they all have different tyres- mine are Bridgestones (Ecopia) but they all seem to be around the £50 mark. I've done 19000 on mine so far and they're still looking good!

·
Registered
1,286 Posts
I had to change the typres on my Lupo because they were too old (8 years) - still looking good. The "tyre man" told me that my tyre brand/series was bad and his much better.I think both have the same disadvantages (or is it the Lupo?).

I don't trust this tyre rating too much ...

If you have a motorbike - try the Bridgestone BT45s ...
Have two motorbikes (Kawa Estrella, Suzi GS500F) with BT45s and these tyres are extremely good! But for my car???

·
Registered
7 Posts
Glad someone has started this thread. Im really tempted by the BMT as well, if they can do me a decent deal then i will be going for it.... then its naughty modify time.

·
Registered
397 Posts
Duffstar said:
I estimated that the extra cost for the BMT would pay for itself within 3 years. Add to that economical vehicles hold their price better, the BMT versions 'should' be worth a little extra when it comes to selling it on
I went for BMT as a 'token gesture' on my part towards efficiency/environment. I assume the car is fitted with a beefed-up starter motor and I notice that the battery looks twice the size of any of the batteries I've ever had to replace in the past.
So time will tell if it was the right decision depending on whether the starter motor and battery last the course.

·
Registered
222 Posts
It was £300 extra for BMT when I bought mine. I based it on three years so £60 saved in tax alone. Plus I think with fuel costs constantly going up the BMT will be worth at least £240 more than a non-BMT version and thats without taking into consideration how much you save in actual fuel consumption.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Stormchaser said:
Sorry guys but I'm a Citigo owner but what is Bluemotion?

It's VW's high efficiency label, Bluemotion equipped cars are more economical, have stop/start tech etc, lighter wheels etc
They have zero road tax and no congestion charge.
I think this option is about £320?

:)

·
Registered
296 Posts
I opted not to go for BlueMotion. Dealer did not try to persuade me to get it - but asked what kind of driving we did. Less than 10% is done in a city or heavy town traffic - most runs are a minimum of 20 miles - so he did suggest that it might not have much effect on fuel consumption levels. Then left the decision to us.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts