Up Owners Club banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone,

I have a 2012 Bluemotion Move Up!, had it for the past 6 months and I absolutely adore the car. I have had only one relatively minor niggle since I bought it, and that concerns the Start-Stop feature.

When I first bought the car in July of this year, I covered approximately 2000 miles and in this time the Start-Stop feature did not work once. Whenever I came to a halt in neutral with the foot or handbrake on, a symbol would appear in the dash with the A and diagonal line though it to show that an automatic stop is not possible.

I am fairly patient, and I did read the owner's manual cover to cover in the first few days after I bought the car. I am well aware of the list of 'conditions' that need to be satsifed in order to enable an automatic start (i.e. suitable internal/external temperature, sufficient battery charge, e.t.c.).
Anyway, I eventually managed to book it into my local VW dealer, they had the car for a few days and said a "wiring repair" would be needed at the back of the dash and asked me to book it later when they had the components. About a month later, I booked it in again, they had the car for a week and then told me the problem was solved (they also charged me £40 for a courtesy car over the few days). Incidentally, over the approximate 7-10 days they had the car, they sent an invoice to Volkswagen Germany for a staggering £2,000 (mainly in labour)

When I picked up the car, the Start-Stop worked fine, on every stop for about 2 days. Now it has become more erratic and there are days when it works fine and days when the same 'automatic start not possible' symbol appears in the dash. On my drive home today, a short journey of about 5 miles, it worked on more than 5 occasions, every time. Then I took the car back out 30 mins after arriving home and it didn't work at all.

My question to fellow Bluemotion drivers is: how often should the Start-Stop work on average? is it more or less supposed to be working 90% of the time or is the system supposed to be erratic, and have a mind of its own - as mine seems to?

·
Registered
430 Posts
I have the move up BMT and other than for the first few minutes of driving from cold the stop start has cut in 99% of the time. I assume the odd occasion it hasn't worked has been due to battery status at that time. I can count on one hand the occasions it hasn't worked with a warm engine, I've had the car over a year and done 12000 miles. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
957 Posts
I don't have a bluemotion but it should work everytime.
You are being very patient I would go back and tell them you paid for a bluemotion and that's what you wanted.
I'm sure they will try and sort it or compensate you for the loss of that function at the end of the day it should be your decision what is acceptable not theirs !

Edited by: Derkie54

·
Registered
430 Posts
From experience in order to pursue these issues it is best to put things in writing with dates of dealer visits, attempted fixes and who you have dealt/spoken with (keep a diary) copy VW HQ in to all correspondence and give a reasonable deadline of when you expect a satisfactory outcome.

·
Registered
179 Posts
I agree. Don't put up with it. My BM works all the time, once sufficiently warmed up. I often switch it off when it's happening too much in traffic. Can't be sure it's good for the starter mechanism to overdo it.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I got mine in May 2012 and the stop/start feature started going wrong in October 2013. I booked it in for a day and the garage gave it back saying it was fine, which it was on the way home. The next day it didn't work once on a 20 mile round trip and it's so intermittent now as to be useless. I give up!

·
Registered
179 Posts
You guys with working start are right. Worth pursuing until you get what you are supposed to have. Should be easy enough to sort out. It occurs to me that the stop/start system depends on several things such as being in neutral, clutch fully engaged and a working on/off switch. Can't remember if you need your foot off the brake but be sure the clutch and gear selection points are satisfied. Hope you get it sorted and come back with good news.

·
Registered
467 Posts
I had a bit different moment:

start/ stop worked fine, but then once I stopped, the engine also turned off... traffic light got green and as usually I pressed clutch, but engine didn't started, only red battery indicator appeared on instrument panel. It took few seconds while I was sitting with pressed clutch, thinking what to do now, when the engine started and battery indicator disappeared.
Had this situation 3 times (not in one day). Will bring Up to service soon and let you know.

·
Registered
525 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thank you to everyone in this thread for your good wishes and sound advice.

In truth, I haven't had an opportunity to have the garage take another look at the system. Since my last post, it has mysteriously started working again on my last two journeys over the past week. The system kicked in for between 5-10 consecutive cycles during heavy traffic. I was rather surprised when it initially came into effect, as I had almost completely forgotten about it and thought I had stalled the engine!

My normal daily commute is usually less than 5 miles, and especially over the past few winter months I am not sure if the engine had sufficient opportunity to reach an optimal temperature. This theory seems plausible to me because over the past few days that the system has worked we have had much warmer weather in the region of 10-13 degrees.

I would still like the dealer to look at the system, as it effectively hadn't worked at all for 2 months (and is still rather intermittent), however the trouble is that I need the car 5 days a week and can't afford to leave it with them for another 1-2 weeks to take apart and put together again for a relatively minor feature. I will probably ask them to look at it when I book the car in for annual service in July.

For any other Bluemotion drivers experiencing similar problems, I will keep you updated on any news/progress made.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I have had my highup blue motion for 3 weeks and the start stop function was only working intermittantly some times not at all and the red A sign with a diagnol line through it appeared permenatly but then it would start working again although when stopped at lights engine would restart sfter 15-20 seconds rang my voltswagen dealer this morning and booked it in to be checked over then drove in to London from Waltham abbey essex and guess what it worked perfectly so waiting to see how it goes between now and the 27th march when its booked in for the check up hoprfully it has settled in and will continue to be ok

·
Registered
179 Posts
So annoying! Sod's law in action. Still needs checking even if it is working when you go in. They will hookmit up to the computer but I doubt intermittent faults will show anything. Good luck.

·
Registered
430 Posts
Although my stop start has performed flawlessly I'd never bother again, further more there appears to be no advantage in fuel consumption between my blue motion UP and my dads Take Up. I reckon the blue motion brand is all hype, the only advantage I get is free road tax but I guess I paid for that up front anyway.

·
Registered
179 Posts
You're right. I don't use my stop/start very much at all...only when there could be a series of long stops. It weighs against what I feel is over using the starter and shortening its life. Being mechanically minded, it grates to hear the starter operating so much.

·
Registered
540 Posts
Rickenbacker said:
Although my stop start has performed flawlessly I'd never bother again, further more there appears to be no advantage in fuel consumption between my blue motion UP and my dads Take Up. I reckon the blue motion brand is all hype, the only advantage I get is free road tax but I guess I paid for that up front anyway.

If you're in London, not paying the congestion charge is also a small bonus too.

·
Registered
179 Posts
-eelis- said:
Actually, the starter motor in Bluemotion models, is different, more sturdier than models without Bluemotion. Also the battery is different, more powerfull, so they have thought about this when they planned the car.

-eelis-
Interesting...thanks for that, delis. Didn't know that. There is, of course. the energy saving gizmo that saves braking energy and directs it back to the battery?

·
Registered
84 Posts
My Up is now two-and-a-half years old and the stop-start system finally stopped working over six months ago. It never worked properly from the word go, depite the car going back to the useless big-name dealer time and again. It's parked outside in central London and not used for commuting, but even after a few days of motoring and motorway dashes - nothing. All we get is the A symbol with the line through it. To same I am thoroughly P**** off is putting it mildly.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts