Up Owners Club banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
430 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As a BMT UP driver I'm curious to know how better if at all the MPG is over a standard UP? My suspicions is that from reading the topics on MPG that the difference is minimum if at all. I know MPG is very variable according to journeys and driver style but in general are the Blue Motions ahead or am I right in suspecting there is virtually no difference? In my case I've so far travelled 2200 miles doing a 35 mile return commute on B roads with a few junctions, average MPG is 52. I'm a steady driver and change gear just after the indicator tells me.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Hi I have a non bmt 75ps high up and drive a very similar commute to you, and I am a steady driver as well and 52 is the same return as me I have a few miles of motorway in the journey and I think thats where I lose some mpg. If I sat at 50-55 I think I would get much better results but I am pleased with 52 after getting around 22 in my last car.

·
Registered
525 Posts
I was getting 59 on mixed journeys including motorway at 70 mph, but that was back in the summer and I haven't checked lately. Honest John has some stats on real mpg where it looks like the non BMT models get a slightly better percentage of the official mpg, but the BMT are still better.
http://www.honestjohn.co.uk/realmpg/volkswagen/up!-2012

·
Registered
811 Posts
I also have a 75bhp High Up and have a 70 mile return commute on a mixture of motorway and rural roads. If I stick to the speed limits M&M says I do about 54mpg. If I'm in a hurry it's more like 46mpg. Either way I think that is pretty good.

To be honest I don't think my commute would work for the BMT, it really needs town driving to get the best from the start/stop.

·
Registered
235 Posts
Agree totally with Allybasher - I'm getting 52mpg from by High up! BMT on my 84 mile daily commute and don't think BMT is any advantage for this type of use.

The picture may well be different if I lived in or regularly used it in a city, but for my journeys I wouldn't bother with BMT again.

As far as economy is concerned, 3,000 revs seems to be the tipping point between reasonable fuel consumption and sub-50 mpg. Keep the engine under 3,000 at all times (if you don't already) and you'll notice an improvement in economy.

·
Registered
604 Posts
Move up! BMT I travel mainly 50 mph roads on a 30 mile round trip I got 53 real mpg (61 mpg M&M)just this month

·
Registered
84 Posts
I have similar numbers to Allybasher's.50mpg /5.65/100km
This is with a roof rack and roof box and I don't drive economically.
Not BMT (I don't like driving with start/stop systems, tried it in a Golf once and hated it)

Edit: AC always on.

Edited by: stratcast

·
Registered
7 Posts
I have the 75Ps Up Black, my regular commute is a 15 min 7 mile journey most of which is a stretch on the motorway, I manage 50 mpg but can nurse 56mpg out of it, on a long motorway run I manage 65mpg, even fully loaded and aircon on.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Im still running in my Up (Non-BMT) and Im seeing on average about 4.2L/100KM (67MPG). This is mixed, whereby ~30% is highway driving (extra Urban) and the rest is city.

So far very happy, and hopefully aiming to get 800KM from the tank this week :)

I think a large part of this fuel saving is coming from the tyres, they have ultra low rolling resistance. Bridgestone Ecopia EP25. And no Im not a rep haha

·
Registered
851 Posts
BlitzKonig said:
Im still running in my Up (Non-BMT) and Im seeing on average about 4.2L/100KM (67MPG). This is mixed, whereby ~30% is highway driving (extra Urban) and the rest is city.

So far very happy, and hopefully aiming to get 800KM from the tank this week :)

I think a large part of this fuel saving is coming from the tyres, they have ultra low rolling resistance. Bridgestone Ecopia EP25. And no Im not a rep haha
Major Konig?

·
Registered
430 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
67 mpg is something I can only dream of in my BMT UP but I'm still relatively happy withow 50's, low insurance and free road tax.

·
Registered
1 Posts
FYI, I drive a non BMT up and do an early morning commute with low traffic. My best so far is 3.5L / 100km (average for the entire 40min journey). Theoretically I should be able to make 1000km from a tank. If I can keep my lead foot wife from driving it. I average 4.0 for long term usage though.

·
Registered
26 Posts
BMT is probally best in the CITY(if using start stop)... on longer roads with little to no stops they are probally the same...

·
Registered
525 Posts
Ghidora said:
BMT is probally best in the CITY(if using start stop)... on longer roads with little to no stops they are probally the same...
I'm sure you're right, but in UK the BMT also gives you a small saving of £20 a year in tax and a potentially much bigger saving of £10 a day (not sure exactly how much it is now) if you have to drive in central London.

·
Registered
851 Posts
Ghidora said:
Okay :) here in denmark you can only buy BMT models ;)
VW only selling the BMT in Denmark - is that a pure marketing choice, or is there some sort of legislation in Denmark around the Eco friendliness of new cars?

·
Registered
26 Posts
AlanG said:
Ghidora said:
Okay :) here in denmark you can only buy BMT models ;)
VW only selling the BMT in Denmark - is that a pure marketing choice, or is there some sort of legislation in Denmark around the Eco friendliness of new cars?

Im not sure why they have chosen to do it that way... but i think its a marketing choice.

·
Registered
26 Posts
haha Just used to be a gamer tag.

Wow 3.5L/100km! Thats awesome. I will have to see if I can challenge that! :D

I also think the BMT will be better in the City and slightly better on the highway as its a little more aero dynamic than the regular up! (Lower drag coefficent).

Unforunately we do not get a BMT up here in Australia. That said, Im amazed we have the Up! at all... most of the market is for larger cars.

But the up is exactly what I need here. Sitrep: 360km travelled, estimated range 450km, its going to be tight! :D
Edited by: BlitzKonig

·
Registered
23 Posts
The things that most affects fuel efficiency are junctions. When I drive my car in my city, where everything is about 5 km away with many junctions, my fuel consumption never goes under 5.0 l/100km and it goes up to 6. But when I use it for going to university, and that is about 30km in one direction, of which 17km of open roads, and 13km of very intense city traffic, I get about 4.3-4.5l/100km. 3.5l/100km is only possible if you drive not faster then 70km/h.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts