Up Owners Club banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I used to have a Seat Ibiza which was a perfectly good and reliable car. At weekends I tended to use my husband's BMW 320d ED. Three weeks ago I collected my Up and haven't wanted to drive the BMW since. This evening I used it for the first time, post Up! revolution, and absolutely hated it! The driving position was uncomfortable, the gearbox not so good and it just wasn't my car. He can stick to his car and I will drive mine!

·
Registered
93 Posts
Good on you!
BMW's are way over hyped imho.

·
Registered
811 Posts
I had a 320D ed until a year ago. It was ok but very poorly equipped and the seats were rubbish. The ride was rock hard too. They are also the modern Ford Sierra, the standard reps car so the image isn't brilliant. I prefer the Up as well.

·
Registered
93 Posts
I had a 325i a few years back. Nothing positive to say about the ownership experience and tbh the image thing is now a negative as you rightly say Ally.

·
Registered
202 Posts
at the same price tag i'd much prefer a Mercedes c-class..

·
Registered
462 Posts
Well if you choose a ED model which is aimed at the corporate market for emissions that is what you get ! Sports seats are awesome on BMW

·
Registered
265 Posts
Ian986 said:
Well if you choose a ED model which is aimed at the corporate market for emissions that is what you get ! Sports seats are awesome on BMW

and that beige leather interior is gorgeous!

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The reason my husband chose the BMW ED as a company car is that the amount his company pays per mile doesn't cover the cost of fuel in most cars. With a Volvo S40 Sport we were paying for him to do his job each month! BMW have at least come up with a family car that doesn't leave us out of pocket each month. Which leaves us with enough money for my Up !

·
Registered
587 Posts
I am lucky to have a cracking F20 1 Series and an up! and very much enjoy driving both.Obviouslythe BM is more refined and a much better interior in terms of materialand 'quality feel' but then you wouldexpectthat given the price difference.<div style="text-align: left; : rgb251, 251, 253; ">

<div style="text-align: left; : rgb251, 251, 253; ">But they also havesimilarities in that they are fun to drive and give plenty of driving pleasure, up! is more fun with town driving and BM more fun on fast A roads and twisty B roads were the extra poke can be made better use of along with RWD. As for the standard Seats in my 1 Series which are shared with the F30 (1 Series shares 80% of its parts with the 3 Series) they are very comfortable on longer journeys. The 1er is the much better long distance cruiser being able to waft along. up! is slightly more tiresome on a longer journey IMO and often need to make greater use of the gearbox.
<div style="text-align: left; : rgb251, 251, 253; ">

<div style="text-align: left; : rgb251, 251, 253; ">Audi is the one dropping down the image stakes taking over from BMW, BMW seem to becoming slightly more niche even if the sales figures are very healthy there is a wider choice of more niche cars to choose from. I also think their designs often divideopinion.

Edited by: jezyg

·
Registered
532 Posts
I was surprised to find that the seats in my up work better for me than my bmw. The bmw is good on the open road, but otherwise a bit of a heap.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Comparing BMW 3 series with Up is rather unfair. BMW is a great cruiser with excellent handling and is very quiet and has a very responsive engine. It is great for long journeys and out of town motor way and A class roads and those curving roads on the English country side. VW UP is more of a city car with an occaisional out of town trip. If fuel consumption and environmetal issues were not on the agenda, I would choose BMW 3 series any day as an allround car.

·
Registered
532 Posts
I live in the country with my up! The little car can be thrashed a bit, the bmw is just too fast.

We have narrow lanes and it's funny when followed by twonks in large 4x4s who have to stop when I can sneak through the smallest gaps. I can park the vw anywhere as it doesn't get in the way.

·
Registered
129 Posts
The only reason why there isn't a BMW parked in my driveway right now is because I am a student. The second I've got my exam and a job, I'm replacing the up! with a BMW

·
Registered
202 Posts
RasmusTJ said:
The only reason why there isn't a BMW parked in my driveway right now is because I am a student. The second I've got my exam and a job, I'm replacing the up! with a BMW
Get a merc trust me, i drive 320s and 530s at work every week and i would never ever pay for one.. Not a bad car just that mercs are so much better for similar prices..

·
Registered
811 Posts
scarja said:
RasmusTJ said:
Get a merc trust me, i drive 320s and 530s at work every week and i would never ever pay for one.. Not a bad car just that mercs are so much better for similar prices..

Very true. I was disappointed with my BMW 320D, it felt rather ordinary and was very over priced at almost 30 grand.

·
Registered
532 Posts
The a class and b class are such good cars!! (not)

·
Registered
587 Posts
scarja said:
RasmusTJ said:

Had a Merc a C200K and is the most I have ever lost on a car depreciated like a stone and whilst nice to drive wasnowherenear as focused to drive as a 3 Series. Looks wise they are getting better like the new A class looks wise, just the A class is let down by driving dynamics and poor overall packaging. Had a drive in one before ordering the 1er.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Well I'm a BMW enthusiast, so there's probably not much luck in trying to reason with me
I'm going for an older BMW - I don't care much for the newer ones

1 - 20 of 26 Posts