Up Owners Club banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
While checking air pressure I let my kid fill the water reserve and then my helpful girlfriend managed to close the bonnet without removing the bonnet hold rod

Now it's bent in 2 and it popped out of it's housing

2 guys cannot make it budge the other way even in a vice.

Where would I go to get a new one?

·
Registered
255 Posts
Ebay. Quite a few up!'s for breaking on there. Sure you would get one cheaply:)

Mark.

·
Registered
50 Posts
wowzers, the exact same thing happened to me today.
I was putting air in the tyres and seen a queue building up so I asked my boyfriend if he could fill washer bottle.
I lifted the bonnet up and took the cap off bottle ready for him while is was huffing and puffing about it.
I was just finishing last tyre at the back and he slammed the bonnet twice!!!
I shouted at him there's no need to slam down just the weight of the bonnet is enough.
So I go round and put the caps back on the valves and he then hands me a completely folded in half bonnet rod!!!
I had to move forward to let the others carry on, I got back out of my car and just stared at amazement of what he had done. He says there's no way he could of done it, it's impossible, as he stands there trying to straighten the rod back out.
Not only that he must of jammed it under the bonnet at the side so I also have a nice little dent on front wing and side of bonnet.
Any way I have spent a good 6 solid hours looking. Even looking for a seat mii or skoda citigo ones.
These things are like gold dust.
I've put a part request into AM car parts and they are supposed to be getting back to me.
A lot of sites I have been on ask for your name address phone number and they back to you.
So I'll keep you updated as to what happens.
By the way if you do see one on eBay you know there's a good chance I will be bidding on it aswell, so let the bidding war commence.
Good luck.

·
Registered
1,862 Posts
Probably just as cheap from VW/seat/Skoda...

Can it really be bent without damaging the bonet?

Maybe they make it weak on purpose to prevent damage to bonet if you forget...

·
Registered
1 Posts
I feel like less of an idiot after reading these posts, I did this today! There was no resistance when I closed the bonnet, I only noticed I bent it in two when I saw it poking out of the bonnet when I got out of the car!

·
Registered
56 Posts
2 1/2 years with a Move UP! and i can't remember opening the bonnet....

1 week with the Gti and i bent the stay in half!

·
Registered
56 Posts
Screenwash??
Never said I didn't do it, just that I obviously never paid much attention to it being an old school bonnet stay.

Hence being forgetful and trying to close the bonnet of the gti twice the first week with it still in place

1 - 13 of 13 Posts