Up Owners Club banner
1 - 20 of 71 Posts

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I fitted this today, at a cost of £32 including the clips, which came with it.
It’s listed in the parts list for the GTi, so l don’t know why it’s not on the car.

Was it easy to fit?
Yes, less than a minute.

Did it make any difference?
I don’t know, l guess it will by a small amount.

Worth fitting?
At £32 l would say a no brainier. It makes the bonnet look better when up, and it feels less tinny, and probably reduces noise levels a little.

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yes and yes.

Bought it from the VW dealer near me, not in stock but arrived next day.
Part number V1S0 863 831 A

But if you ask for the “bonnet soundproofing pad” it will come up on their exploded parts view of the front of the car.

I can’t tell if it’s any quieter with it fitted, as the car is pretty good anyway, but any difference will be small.

But at £32 l think it’s worth fitting.

·
Super Moderator
1,736 Posts
Yes and yes.

Bought it from the VW dealer near me, not in stock but arrived next day.
Part number V1S0 863 831 A

But if you ask for the “bonnet soundproofing pad” it will come up on their exploded parts view of the front of the car.

I can’t tell if it’s any quieter with it fitted, as the car is pretty good anyway, but any difference will be small.

But at £32 l think it’s worth fitting.
Haven't got around to fitting mine yet, as I want to Dynamat the area under where the pad sits.

·
Registered
244 Posts
Any more details for those of us that don’t have fb?

·
Registered
336 Posts
Assume you would only really hear any difference in sound proofing from inside the car if you disconnected the soundaktor? as that's what I hear droning rather than the engine and your right if its a vw part why isn't it already fitted?

·
Registered
336 Posts
Simples, cost!
I get that but why stock it all? Surely the cost of designing, manufacturing, stocking and transporting this part wont be offset by the relatively small numbers being sold? there is a long list of parts some may wish to have been included on the GTI or even as an option that would have sold like hot cakes but VW does not sell at all, just very unusual for a part not to be fitted to a car or offered as an option but is still sold by the manufacturer?

·
Registered
604 Posts
I could be very wide of the mark but wonder if it it designed and manufactured as a standard fit for countries where environmental noise restrictions are such that sound-proofing is mandatory. UK is perhaps less restrictive and therefore the penny watching is more prominent.

I get that the up! is a very small 3 pot and not a V8, so could very well be wrong in citing this as plausible.

·
Registered
170 Posts

·
Registered
244 Posts
Many thanks for the info.

·
Registered
336 Posts
I could be very wide of the mark but wonder if it it designed and manufactured as a standard fit for countries where environmental noise restrictions are such that sound-proofing is mandatory. UK is perhaps less restrictive and therefore the penny watching is more prominent.

I get that the up! is a very small 3 pot and not a V8, so could very well be wrong in citing this as plausible.
Haha no don't think it will be that but for £30 quid it looks better and offers a bit of protection to the underside of the bonnet, not be the first time I've dropped the bonnet after leaving something on the engine but the soundproofing averted any damage.

Reactions: Darren C

·
Registered
527 Posts
I get that but why stock it all? Surely the cost of designing, manufacturing, stocking and transporting this part wont be offset by the relatively small numbers being sold? there is a long list of parts some may wish to have been included on the GTI or even as an option that would have sold like hot cakes but VW does not sell at all, just very unusual for a part not to be fitted to a car or offered as an option but is still sold by the manufacturer?
From experience, VW have a habit of doing this. I had a Caddy Maxi Life and it had the sound proofing under the bonnet whereas my previous Caddy van didn’t. Also the diesel Caddy engines have no plastic engine cover, but it’s a popular mod to buy the golf one which fits perfectly. The only reason I can think for all of these is cost. However, I understand where you’re coming from regarding the point of producing one in the first place.

1 - 20 of 71 Posts