Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a nearly 4 year old grandson, looking for advice on easy to install
booster seats for my UP

·
Registered
1,956 Posts
Are you 2 or 4 door, and will he sit in the rear of front? If the latter, do you have passenger airbags, and if so, can yours be switched off?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Are you 2 or 4 door, and will he sit in the rear of front? If the latter, do you have passenger airbags, and if so, can yours be switched off?
He will sit in the rear. It’s 4 door, I don’t think I have airbags in the rear. I bought the car new in 2017

·
Registered
1,956 Posts
Correct - no airbags of concern in the back!*
If it's just a booster seat base, most just clip in using the seat-belt - ones sold by Halfords or on Amazon (shipping from Amazon in the UK), and major retailers will be fine. Full child seats are more complicated are more regulated but probably use "Isofix" fastenings that you have installed in your Up! already.

*and avoid tablet or game screens that clip onto the back of the front seats - risk of facial laceration, worse in a smaller car as a rear passenger is closer!

·
Registered
29 Posts
We bought a "Cuggl Chaffinch" from Argos to be used occasionally by our 3 grandchildren who range in age from nearly 2 (but tall), through nearly 4 to nearly 7 (although not all at the same time!). It fits using the car's seat belt so is easy to fit if a little fiddly. For the nearly 7 year old we remove the harness straps cimpletely and she uses the adult belt whilst sitting in the booster seat. There are video instructions online for the model. In the up it helps if the front seat in front of the booster seat is slid well forward, unless you want muddy footprints on the back of the front seat! The other granny has since bought two of the same model seat and they both (just) fit in the back of her tiny Fiat 500. They are basic (black cover, not much padding, no cup holders etc) but fine for short journeys and occasional use. Cost about £35.

Hope this helps, Tracendaz.

·
Registered
1,956 Posts
Looks good for the money, but it is a full seat rather than a simple booster, and also not Isofix. The isofix types are easier than wrapping a seat belt around a seat, and in the event of a crash, there is less movement (you cannot get the seatbelt to be that tight when winding it around a seat).

·
Registered
741 Posts
Not sure what you mean by booster seat as these are for children much older than a four year old. Booster seat with a four year old would be a very bad idea, the seat belt would be in a very bad location around the childs neck area.
You really do need to be getting an Isofix fitting seat suitable for a child of that age. We have three grandchildren and have bought seats that can be used throughout the childs age range.

Please do a wee bit of research and don't listen to nonsense from people with no experience.Which magazine, and others a good place to start, but please do not put your grandchild on a booster seat, the bairn needs to be supported much better than that.
Car Seat Buying Guide: Buying The Best Baby Or Child Car Seat

·
Registered
1,956 Posts
If you already have all the facts at your disposal, just buy something.... I reckon Isofix is the best way - and that was my main point,

The four year old we carried was quite big, and fine on a decent booster seat, but I apologize if I'm behind the times on legal requirements on this one! :)

·
Registered
741 Posts
If you already have all the facts at your disposal, just buy something.... I reckon Isofix is the best way - and that was my main point,

The four year old we carried was quite big, and fine on a decent booster seat, but I apologize if I'm behind the times on legal requirements on this one! :)
You are way behind the times, nothing to do with legal requirements, sorry just being real, you were lucky no accident involved. My daughter was involved in a rear end shunt, both children were under 8 years old, both sitting in booster seats. I will leave it at that. But they were battered about like rag dolls, and necks were covered in seat belt damage. Sometimes, better to say nout, if you know nout about the OP!

·
Registered
e-up! 32kwh white
99 Posts
Don’t use an Amazon special booster seat!

Having done a shed load of research before our first child came along last year it seems isofix is no safer in a crash than a properly fitted belted seat, it’s just much easier to install a belted seat incorrectly, for this reason Isofix is great if you are swapping the seat between cars buy doesn’t necessarily mean a seat is safer. We have isofix in the main car and belted in the up!
Rear facing is safer than front facing but from the age of 4 rear facing seats are few and far between and you run up against the isofix weight limit. There are no front facing seats that pass the Swedish Plus Test which is a higher voluntary standard than the eu tests and measures neck loading.
The up! will take quite a big car seat if you sacrifice front passenger leg room, I’ve managed to get our axkid one in mine, probably overkill for an occasional seat though.

I’d recommend going to a shop that sells car seats and trying a few out, our local independent was very helpful and let us test fit a few. They also know their way round the legislation.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thank you for your comments and advice everyone, re car seat for my nearly 4 year old grandson, I finally went for a “Joie Baby Trillo 2/3 high back Booster seat” fitted with isofix.
I took all your comments and did some research, plus getting advice from the retailer, so hoping I’ve made the right choice.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts