Up Owners Club banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Finally, I had the time to install boot light in my Up!

I have used small LED lights, and installe in both sides of the boot. They put out plenty of light, compared to the size of them.

They are connected to the roof light, just above the rear mirror, so they only come on, when you unlock the car, or open one of the doors.

·
Registered
467 Posts
I have the same lights and simmilar story.. all summer was to lazy (has something else to do) and have these in my glove compartment waiting to installal them.

·
Registered
53 Posts
This is a great idea! but why didn't VW fit something like this as standard? do you have to remove the head lining to run the wires up to the light?

·
Registered
727 Posts
knjdk said:
Hi. No I just removed the roof light and then ran the wires between the roof and the roof liner. I used an old tape measurer since it is rigid but still flexible. When it was through, I taped the wires to it and could then pull them through.
You are a genius..!!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Hi, very impressed with this solution. However, could you provide some more details please. For example, how did you connect the wires to the interior light? Did the LED wires need extending? Also, do the lights work without affecting the way the interior light works (i.e. canbus issues). How easy is it to get the wires down each side of the tailgate to the LED locations and can you fit the LEDs without removing the trim? Sorry for all the questions, but hope you can help.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Finally am about to embark on installing these. Did you need to do anything special when connecting to the circuit on the roof light?

·
Registered
241 Posts
I have fitted boot lights to our 3 door UP with sunroof.You need to connect to a live feed and a switched earth from the interior light circuit.(Do not use the permanent earth) run the wires along the edge of the headlining down the B post and inside the rear panel to join up with your LED wires.To make a neat job you may have to remove the bench seat and side panel.You can use cable connectors or soldered joints depending on your skill.There are several very helpful blogs on these issues if you scroll through.

·
Registered
467 Posts
Hello,<div style=": rgb251, 251, 253;">

<div style=": rgb251, 251, 253;">1 - I bought 3W eagle eye LED from ebay
<div style=": rgb251, 251, 253;">2 - read this post to get some clue how to wire the boot LED, so it should work the same as interior light (same switch adjustment)http://www.upownersclub.co.uk/forum/w8-fitting-instructions_topic3661_page1.html?KW=w8+interior
<div style=": rgb251, 251, 253;">3 - I was to lazy to take all ceiling trim off, so I connected LED, checked if it works, because + and - need to be correctly connected. Then I slipped the wire all around the ceiling trim, so it was only some 2cm inside (just to hide it). Hardest part was in the rear, as plastic side trim needed to be partly taken off for the wire (don't be afraid to pull a bit harder, it's pretty hard to damage such robust plastic)
<div style=": rgb251, 251, 253;">4 - partly took off the boot plastic where LED should be mounted, drilled a hole, installed LED and connected wires (I had LED with short wires, if You take with long wires, You need to do installation all the way around to avoid cutting the wire)
<div style=": rgb251, 251, 253;">

<div style=": rgb251, 251, 253;">Good luck,
<div style=": rgb251, 251, 253;">Matīss

·
Registered
8 Posts
When I want to connect the wire from the led, om which wire on the lightswitch do i connect it to?

Im want to try to get lights in the trunk of my vw up.

Finally Got the led' s

Greatings dk and thanks

·
Registered
9 Posts
Hi,

There are three wires leading to the interior light. The middle wire is the power supply and the other two are earth and switched earth.

I used "scotch lock" connectors on the power supply and switched earth to connect the LEDs. To check which is the switched earth, make sure the light switch is in the position so that the light comes on when the doors are opened. You can then follow the circuit by looking at the back of the light, tracing the route. (The circuit is made of metal strips which are visible when the light unit is removed)

Not 100% certain, but from memory, I think the switched earth was on the left hand side of the car. However, please check by tracing the circuit.)

Dave

Edited by: Davec03

·
Registered
9 Posts
Bought mine on Amazon. However, they came from China, so delivery took longer than expected!I bought two pairs for £6.19 - Just search for "4 3W LED High Power Eagle Eye"

Very bright, and light up the whole boot.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Hi, I fitted a W8 interior light to my UP at the weekend and thought I would fit a boot light at the same time, I fitted the LED no problem, managed to run the wires across the headliner to the interior light then came to wiring it in!
It either didn't come on at all or was on all the time!
I must have spent longer trying to wire it up than it took to fit it!
I know that the brown wire is earth so does that mean that the brown and red wire is switched earth? Any help would be greatly accepted.
Cheers,
Andrew.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Hi. I'm not sure how the W8 interior light is wired in. However, with the original fitment there are three wires connected to the interior light. You need to connect one wire to the middle wire (the live supply) and the other to the switched earth. (If the light remains on all the time, you have connected it to the permanent earth, so try the other one.) The switched live "times out" after a period of inactivity to avoid draining the battery if, for example, a door has been left partially open. When the light didn't come on, did you try closing all the doors and locking the car? If you then unlocked the car and opened the boot I think the lights would have worked. If not, maybe you need to re-check the connections at the light switch.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts