Up Owners Club banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,438 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thanks to the heads up from another member, I have this evening completed installing a pair of LED lights in the boot, hooked up to the switched earth from the interior light. This means they come on when you open the boot, and go off after you've closed it. Perfect. IMO, they look fairly OEM too, even better.
Anyhow, enjoy :)

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
Very impressive. Job well done.

·
Premium Member
1,118 Posts
Looking good Dave.

Did you not take a photo of where you connect the wires to?
I know the interior light then which way did you run the cables?

·
Registered
1,438 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
No I didn't, I should have really.
I simply tapped into the red for live and the brown with black stripe for switched earth. Then ran each pair of cables around the top of the car, behind trim panels and under the headlining where possible, simply for ease. The only trim panel that I had to remove was the black panel in the boot that the light actually fits too. That was, however, an absolute ball ache! Worthwhile though, IMO, my most useful mod yet.

Edit: this is where it all began!
http://www.upownersclub.co.uk/forum/up-dark-grey_topic2427_page3.htmlEdited by: Davec86

·
Registered
202 Posts
That means they switch on when you open one of the doors to though? Or haven't i quite understood where you got switched earth from? :)

·
Registered
1,438 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
They go on and off as the interior light. I've used the earth from the interior light, which is switched to the doors/boot. But it's not an issue, as you can't see it from inside the car

·
Premium Member
1,118 Posts
Dave,
Where did you get the cable from?
I have the leds but i dont think the cable is long enough and what is the best way to run the cable as i have a sunroof?

Cheers

Gary

·
Registered
1,438 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I got the cable from good old maplin, nice and easy.
I ran the cables around the edge of the car, just tucked under the headliner and into the trim panels where it met them. To start with, the I poked the cable between the headliner and windscreen, then ran it along that edge. Maybe not the most professional way, but it was easy, it's hidden, it works. Simples.

·
Registered
1,438 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
No worries, if you come unstuck just gimme a shout and I'll do my best to help you out if I can :)

·
Registered
229 Posts
Looks good man! definiteimprovement!
did it take long to do?
also, any progress on the aerial? if your doing it can you take pictures of it throughout? please :D

·
Registered
1,438 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Nah not yet dude, I was going to do it as I wrap the roof, then I can seal it up and cover it at the same time.
I will defo take some pics though when I do. If it's dry the weekend I might have a look then :)

1 - 16 of 16 Posts