Up Owners Club banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi, ive been lurking around on this great forums for a couple of month now, i think it about time i join and make a post

i picked up my little up! up around 2 month ago,

my up! story started after selling my mk4 r32 I've own for 6 years , didn't need to downgraded or anything, just wanted an up!.

day 1: just picked it up from the dealer, $12,000 with gps, emergency brake, power window, tints, mats and a tank of fuel, here it sits at my aunt house in Melbourne before a ~700km drive home.

was very impressed with the up on the trip home. other then driving for 5h with almost no visibility in heavy rain, i couldn't find the headlight adjuster so only 3-4m of the road was illuminated. but in the heavy rain and strong winds the up felt solid and safe, i had no trouble passing trucks and lorries while staying with in the speed limit
. i was trying to make it home on one tank but chicken out after 650km with the fuel gauge in the middle of the red zone.

day 2: up!'s home safe and sound and registered

day 3: coil over arrived from the uk

spent the afternoon fitting it. took me 20 min to install the back, 20 min to take out the fronts..........and 4 freeken hours trying to put in the new one
. the diameter of the weitec coilover body is slightly bigger then stock and i couldn't get the upright to open up big enough. gave up and went to sleep.

day 4: after a good night rest and searching this forum for tips, i got a 12mm bolt (iirc) and hammer it into the slit, the coilover slips right in!!!! when i knocked the bolt out, the coilover was not fully seated yet. i jacked up the upright until the weight of that corner is held up by the suspension and not the car stand, then taped the top of the upright with a hammer, the vibration loosen up the clamp a bit and the weight of the car pushes it in. all in all took me 30 min, sigh.

i don't remember the froum member who recommended the bolt method, dave i think. but thank you!!!!! who ever you are

the suspension is firm but not harsh for the people sitting in the front, but the rear passengers get tossed around a bit,

lowerd

Edited by: bot

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
day 7: a friend gave me a free set of enkei rpf1 15x7 with 195/50 15
toyo r888 and converted from lug bolts to studs with gold lug nuts!
driving around with semi slicks is supper funny!!! the car
handles a treat. sorry bout the pic its hard to see

day 8: took of the enkei with the r888 and swopped it with my set with more street sensible tires

killing time with freinds

day 8- today: after 5000km, the car have been grate, haven't been driving in a fuel saving manor but according to m&m im still doing 4.7l per 100k.

yesterday: had a spare BMC CDA lying around from my other project so i decided to fit it to the Up!
now it have a deep burble under load and you can feel the vibration from the sound through the firewall, couldn't stop giggling when i put the food down on the test drive, don' think it improve HP but it seem to breath better higher in the rev range. the new set up just need a screwdriver and 2min to remove and instal the old unit for when you get a service so VW will ever know

Edited by: bot

·
Registered
1,438 Posts
Bloody ****. I'm surprised that CDA fits in! My mates got one on his focus and they're huge things! Pretty though :)
Good work on getting it decked so quick :)
Out of interest, as I've never done it, how did you convert it from bolts to studs and lug nuts?

·
Super Moderator
1,496 Posts
Stud conversions are easily available, you can find them on EBay.

In basic terms they are a bolt with no head, you screw them into the bolt holes with threadlok on the ends to hold them into the hub.

Voila! You now have wheel studs.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts