Up Owners Club banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well...not really. It just so happens I am collecting it this Friday which is my birthday.

I am really excited as it's my first 'new' car (although it is 2 years old - still much better than the 10 year old Fiat Punto I was driving!)

I have ordered the Move Up! in candy white but the previous owner kitted it out very well: Maps & More, Sensor Pack, Winter Pack, Blue Motion, leather seats and the gorgeous sun roof.

I just have one question regarding the 60bhp engine - whilst I am almost exclusively a city driver, I am required to do occasional travel for work. This can sometimes be 3-4 hour journeys - will the lower powered engine cope with this kind of driving? My Fiat was awful on the motorway as I just didn't feel safe and had to drop down a gear sometimes to overtake!

I did notice the car requires more revs to get going whilst test driving - could anyone advise on how comfortable/safe/fast it is for motorway driving or any tips on how to get the engine to perform better?

Many thanks.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hello hollyh, welcome and congratulations for your birthday on friday and picking an up!

I have a move up and it's my first 'new' car as well I used it to pass my test on, I'm a little envious with your spec though, much better than mine!

I have found my move Up to feel very safe, solid and can really cope well on the motorways as I was worried about this as well but it feels very stable on motorways, you do sometimes have to use a lower gear to help with passing traffic, but I keep mine above 3000 rpm and it pulls well especially in 5th gear once up to speed, mine kept up with an aston martin DB9 for a short time yesterday which I was proud of!

Thanks have fun and enjoy your up, I love mine and I'm sure you will to!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi JMC, thanks for your response and birthday wishes!

What a great car to pass your test in! I bet it was helpful to drive a tiny car when doing parallel parking. I did mine in a Peugeot 207, then proceeded to drive the Fiat Punto for 4 years.

I must admit the spec is what sold this particular car to me, it was a little cheaper than entry-level model, brand new.

I'm really glad you think it's safe and solid as this was really what was worrying me, although no city car is really going to excel on the motorway I suppose. As long as it's sturdy and handles well I can cope with changing down gears for overtaking and/or hills.

Well done for keeping up with the Aston Martin!

Thanks again :)

·
Registered
296 Posts
HollyH - welcome to the Up owners family.
I have the slightly more powerful High Up but I am told both cope OK with motorway driving - although I tend to sit at about the 60 mph mark. Might also be worth using Shell V Power fuel - it is a bit more expensive but in the past I have proved it pays for itself with better mpg and a friend has noticed his Up sounds slightly quieter running on it. AND it is comfortable enough car for the 4 hour journey.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks ospreywatcher,

Glad to hear it. I also tend to sit at between 60-70mph, not a fast driver by any means. I only tend to overtake if I'm in danger of getting surrounded by lorries! So that is definitely good to hear.

Interesting point about the shell v power - I've heard a lot of good things about this fuel in relation to the up. Might have to give it a try although I'm not sure where the nearest shell garage - do you know if BP's equivalent high performance fuel is as good?

·
Registered
296 Posts
There is some comparative testing on a website somewhere - worth a google - think the BP might be just as good - the detergent content also helps keep the engine clean.

·
Registered
325 Posts
I wouldn't bother with anything other than standard 95 RON unleaded - that's what the ECU is optimised for. V-Power, etc., can help keep the engine clean in the long term and this might lead to slightly increased fuel economy but certainly not to the extent that it will make up the price difference over that period.

Anything else is wishful thinking!

·
Registered
540 Posts
Hey, another brummie!

Look out for me in my Tungsten Silver high up (tinted windows and wind deflectors)! :) I'm near Brum University if you're ever over that way :)

Congrats on the new car :)

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Umiamz said:
I wouldn't bother with anything other than standard 95 RON unleaded - that's what the ECU is optimised for. V-Power, etc., can help keep the engine clean in the long term and this might lead to slightly increased fuel economy but certainly not to the extent that it will make up the price difference over that period.

Yes, I am still sceptical after doing some reading about it. Nevertheless, I will probably fork out for the more expensive fuel whilst my car is new and when the novelty wears off just go back to regular stuff.

Fidel - I'm usually on the other side of Birmingham, but I will keep an eye out if I'm ever driving round there. I never see any Ups on the road round here, seems like they're pretty uncommon at the moment!

Cadfael - I'm sure we will be very happy! Friday cannot come quick enough.

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
Hi Holly. I'm sure you will be well pleased with your Up! Took a trip to Birmingham yesterday from Suffolk in some terrible weather and the Up! performed really well. When you are driving it never feels like a small city car and handles itself well in traffic. Have a happy birthday.

·
Registered
296 Posts
Umiamz said:

I did comparative testing over 5,000 miles in my Ford KA which did prove that the V Power paid for itself in increased mileage - especially as then I was doing 28,000 per year.

·
Registered
325 Posts
ospreywatcher said:
I did comparative testing over 5,000 miles in my Ford KA which did prove that the V Power paid for itself in increased mileage - especially as then I was doing 28,000 per year.

Well, a test over 5000 miles when doing 28000 a year is around 2 months. A very short time for a comparative test.

I have a friend who's a chemist for a large oil company and I can tell you that there is no magic ingredient in VPower or similar petrols that gives you extra MPG. Extra performance in a car that has been tuned for higher octane fuels, probably. Fewer deposits after a couple of years, yes. But no magic MPG ingredient, sorry.

·
Registered
851 Posts
Many years ago when Woolworths existed and my dad worked in the oil industry, he said that Woolworths' oil was the branded stuff that had been "unbranded" and was as good as any forecourt oil. I suspect that petrol (and oil) come from the same wholesaler.Edited by: AlanG

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
Cadfael said:
Happy birthday hollyh! 

Hope we will both have a lot of fun with our new up!s.
Will get mine about 10 o'clock ...
Looking forward to hearing what you think of your new car. That's if you can stop driving long enough to post a message.

·
Premium Member
3,147 Posts
Firstly Happies to all birthday folk, 2nd, Congrats on all the new ups!

Now, fancy petrol....I did a long trial and found absolutely no difference in speed, power,mpg or warm-up....only difference I found was the cost! and now, with sainsburys doing 10p a litre discount with your shopping, I use that at effectively £1.16 a litre ....job done, esp when you do silly miles like me

·
Registered
1,286 Posts
First funny story ...

Had to go shopping (food) and drove to a discounter (Netto = Aldi or Lidl) with my new up! ...

When I came back to my car, a man (about 50?) stood there and said to me: "What an amazing, beautiful version of this car!" ...

More (with photos) in my thread in a few hours ...

·
Registered
88 Posts
Cadfael said:
First funny story ...

Had to go shopping (food) and drove to a discounter (Netto = Aldi or Lidl) with my new up! ...

When I came back to my car, a man (about 50?) stood there and said to me: "What an amazing, beautiful version of this car!" ...

More (with photos) in my thread in a few hours ...

·
Registered
22 Posts
Last time i filled up with Sainsbury super unleaded, the other petrol nozzle was out of order so had no choice, anyway i could swear engine sounded better plus i think i may have got another 25 miles to the tank i.e 450 instead of 425. Anyway filled up with super again so going to see how many miles i get to tank, maybe last time was just a fluke

1 - 20 of 21 Posts