Up Owners Club banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sick of paying road tax on my three old cars & motorbike I planned to get something that doesn't need to pay it & sell at least two of my cars.
Looked at 4x4 Panda on web but that'll cost me £105 a year.
I've liked the Up! since it was a concept car but not wanting to spend £15,600 on a 'Rock Up' with extras I'd won't, chose to go for a car that a Dealer had all ready registered, searched vw.co.uk 'used car locator.'
Strictly speaking, even a car with zero miles on the clock once registered, is second hand.
Search options I chose, 'less than 1 yr old,' 'orange,' '5 door,' '75bhp,' looked at 28 cars available nationwide, opted for the 4 under £13,000, spent 12 hours looking at them & every online revue. (Wished the GT was out here, it's been out in Germany for a while now) Visited my local Dealer in Leeds, HE DIDN'T HAVE ANY 5 doors in, so I had to go to Huddersfield to actually check out rear head / leg room.
Returned home, rang two Dealers with 'Grove Up!' available 'used,' offered £1500 less than they wanted or said I'd take it at £1000 off screen price if they added spare wheel & side skirts. Both said they'd have to ask manager before bartering on price. Both salesmen rang me back within ten mins, saying same thing, their Manager reminded them that "there's a sub woofer in the space where the spare wheel would go on 'Grove Up' models, that's why you get the repair can rather than a spare wheel." Both Managers had said they weren't going to provide, fit & spray side skirts, one offered to knock £1200 off the price & fill the petrol tank & deliver the car free, the other offered £1150 off the screen price, full tank of petrol & free delivery. I stopped asking & TOLD the first salesman if he wasn't going to throw in a £30 spare wheel, I'll buy from another dealer & he said he'd put in on the back seat himself. Gave him debit card details for £10,500 in the end.
With some of
the saved cash from not buying new, lashed out on a special reg for it,
that cost almost £900. This maybe stupid to you but I think it's worth it. Still have enough cash left out of
my original budget to buy the side skirts & a rear spoiler & have them fitted & sprayed professionally.
Don't know why everyone doesn't go for a pre registered car, some have 6 miles on the clock some, like ex demos have 250, I saw some with over 1000 miles, but wasn't interested in them. You still get remainder of 3 year warranty, 142 point vehicle check, ensurance, & all the other stuff that gives piece of mind.
Details at http://www.volkswagen.co.uk/used/our-programme
Expecting delivery Monday. I'm feeling pretty pleased with myself.
Only drawback for me is, they'll valet car then drive it 200 miles up the M1, so it'll be manky when it gets here. (Thanks for reading, soz for going on, perhaps understabably, I'm a tad excited. I'm always like this with a 'new' car,)

·
Registered
957 Posts
Sounds like a good deal I have bought several pre-registered cars in the past and always a good saving.

Exciting time you will be well pleased

·
Registered
851 Posts
Interesting that you feel £900 for a number is good value but not £105 a year for RFL. It reminds me of those people who claim to be skint but have £1000s in savings - conveniently overlooked. I reckon you bought an up because you wanted one - not because it's saving you money. Anyway - what the heck - we're all here because we like ups.

·
Premium Member
3,147 Posts
GT out in Germany?......I think not!,

Anyway, welcome to our merry band of brothers and sisters........the money saving with these wee cars really is extraordinary!

Enjoy!!!!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Of course I bought one cos I wanted one over the Fiat Panda or any other small car.

I stick by what I said above. A special reg is worth paying £900 for, in my opinion. Of course not everyone will agree. Have always felt paying road tax is a waste of my money, having my initials & 'BUG' on the reg plate isn't a waste, it's an extravagance.
I maintain that the GT has launched in Germany, I was in Barden Barden in Dec and saw 6 or 7. Holland has an amazing looking 'Cross Up!' which looks to have SUV styling. Chunky & taller than standard Ups.
Thanks for your replies anyway, I'm looking forward to being an active member of the club.
Have a good weekend.

·
Premium Member
3,147 Posts
GT is slated for release, I'd love to know what you saw in Baden Baden....UP with a bodykit or the real deal Up with the 110bhp engine !!....ooohhh excited!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Starting to wish I'd not mentioned it now or even better, had time to take photos of the cars I saw. Privatedoc, from the front they looked like the icon pic you use below your name, at the rear they had two exhaust pipes but what really gave it away was the fact they had GT on the rear window. It's possible they were doing trials or filming an advert somewhere near the black forest. First thing I did when I got home was to phone Volkswagen UK in Ireland & ask when Up! GT is being launched in UK, they said they couldn't tell me because they hadn't been told anything about a GT model for UK by Volkswagen.
That's all I can tell you.

·
Premium Member
3,147 Posts
Sounds good......there is hope!Thanks for the info

·
Registered
44 Posts
A lot of people do buy pre reg cars,but the reason a lot do not including myself is because many dealers only reduce the car by a silly amount. All new cars drop by at least 25%-30% as soon as they are registered in the first year,no matter if they are one day old or one year old.Yet some dealers knock £200 off and think they are doing us a favour.Well no thanks,i am not intersted unless you knock off at least £2000.
It sounds like you got a sensible deal,but i am not sure of the new list price of the car,however anyone should also remembera pre regcar will be worth less at resale time with Two names on the V5.

·
Registered
612 Posts
Late in on this one: My TSi is ex demo (NOT pre reg, there is a difference) 6mths, 7000 miles, fully sorted, beaten to death by a young salesman, so fully run in 😁. Better driven hard than 7000 miles at 1000rpm !
100% perfect except the standard mats were missing, replaced pre delivery. Purchased unseen, but balance not paid until seen. No risk, purchased SUBJECT TO VIEWING..............

·
Registered
352 Posts
Late in on this one: My TSi is ex demo (NOT pre reg, there is a difference) 6mths, 7000 miles, fully sorted, beaten to death by a young salesman, so fully run in 😁. Better driven hard than 7000 miles at 1000rpm !
100% perfect except the standard mats were missing, replaced pre delivery. Purchased unseen, but balance not paid until seen. No risk, purchased SUBJECT TO VIEWING..............
I always thought people who did this were insane......until I did it with our TSI :ROFLMAO:
Very easy transaction, the sales woman did a WhatsApp video call and picked me up from the train station. The ridiculous "reveal" and handover was a little over the top though.
But from a financial perspective?? Yes still insane. The stuff we can convince ourselves of is crazy. In some respects I wish I'd kept the old car. We called it the old man car. It was a subtlety modified (all under the skin) 9-5 Aero. Perfect condition, full and proper history (not some useless stamps in a book) They have their detractors, probably not a proper Saab, too much GM stuff. 0 to 60 nothing to write home about. But 30 to 90 it was hilarious.
Sold it for £1400 :-( mad!!
I could have bought 3 of them in UP depreciation or taxed it and paid for the extra fuel for the next 10 years.
I'm a financial genius :rolleyes:

·
Registered
45 Posts
My Dad had one of the last 9000 Carlssons. I found it lying untaxed and unloved under a tarpaulin after he died. It had once been a thing of beauty, green metallic with cream leather interior, but I just didn't have the time or energy at that point to get it back on the road :(

·
Registered
761 Posts
We had a Carlsson 9000 for a while! Nice engine and comfy, but the car was just too big and heavy to be fun - my wife's company-car of the time (Turbo Technics Golf 16V) ran rings around it!

·
Registered
352 Posts
My Dad had one of the last 9000 Carlssons. I found it lying untaxed and unloved under a tarpaulin after he died. It had once been a thing of beauty, green metallic with cream leather interior, but I just didn't have the time or energy at that point to get it back on the road :(
Back in the early 90's i had an Astra GTE (absolute junk as a car, but in it's day quick) I remember being overtaken by a Carlsson. I'm guessing modified due to the flames coming out of the exhaust on the up changes :oops: it felt like I was in reverse:ROFLMAO:
Last of the proper Saab's. I remember reading a review on the 9000, it went something like " it's constructed out of girders and concrete"
The guy I bought the 9-5 off had a 900 Turbo. I still fancy one of those.

·
Registered
45 Posts
I remember my dad buying it in 1992 and coming up to visit us. We were a penniless couple fresh out of university and driving a Jetta formel e with about 40hp and 150k miles on the clock. Same crappy brakes as the MK1 golf.

We drove the Saab up and down the local dual carriageway, just endlessly booting it in 3rd off the roundabouts. It seemed so epic back then.

·
Registered
612 Posts
LOVE SAAB, ran 9000's & 9.5 as demos, did the 9.5 dealer launch at the factory. Saab were one of the first manufacturers to breathalyze dealer staff before letting them lose in new cars. Half the salesmen were still drunk from the night before, failed and could only ride shotgun, NOT HAPPY (but safer for the rest of us) :unsure: :ROFLMAO:

·
Registered
352 Posts
LOVE SAAB, ran 9000's & 9.5 as demos, did the 9.5 dealer launch at the factory. Saab were one of the first manufacturers to breathalyze dealer staff before letting them lose in new cars. Half the salesmen were still drunk from the night before, failed and could only ride shotgun, NOT HAPPY (but safer for the rest of us) :unsure: :ROFLMAO:
They were the last truly different/quirky car. Such a shame they disappeared. That Areo is a car I should have kept:-(
Free booze on a jolly and being let lose in someone else's car. Yep disaster waiting to happen.
I've been on a few jollies around Silverstone and Oulton Park over the years (they thought I was a fleet manager responsible for 500+ vehicles. Who was I to correct them:) some epic cars. Pro Drive Impreza, returned with smoke pouring from all 4 arches, Honda NSX, M3's (really over rated) S8's...

·
Registered
612 Posts
Did a track day with Saab, Carlsson was still alive back then and driving a 9000 sideways everywhere, set of tyres every five laps !! Top man...........

1 - 20 of 20 Posts