Up Owners Club banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Traded in my mini countryman for an Up White today, pick it up next week, looking forward to the low running costs!

·
Super Moderator
3,147 Posts
Good choice there!......enjoy

·
Super Moderator
3,147 Posts
Only thing wrong with them is keeping them white in this weather!

·
Registered
1,438 Posts
Privatedoc said:
Only thing wrong with them is keeping them white in this weather!   
Second that! It's a nightmare! I'm washing mine every week, and almost constantly cleaning off spots of tar/lime/sap etc. I love white, it looks great, but it's hard work!

·
Registered
202 Posts
Don't want to start a fight, white is nice, but red is soooo much better

·
Registered
1,382 Posts
I also bought the showroom car. I had to wait 3 weeks for them to get in a replacement, as it was the only one, and they had to have at least one in the window.

I would be interested to know what you think of the Up, and how it compares to the Mini. Similar cars in some respects, the Up is less sporty, but more practical, and cheaper. More mpg too I think.

scarja said:
Right, outside, we'll sort this one out between us.
Yeah, I like the red too, but I'll whisper it in case my white colour Up is listening.

·
Registered
202 Posts
Leif said:
I also bought the showroom car. I had to wait 3 weeks for them to get in a replacement, as it was the only one, and they had to have at least one in the window.

I would be interested to know what you think of the Up, and how it compares to the Mini. Similar cars in some respects, the Up is less sporty, but more practical, and cheaper. More mpg too I think.

scarja said:
Right, outside, we'll sort this one out between us.
Yeah, I like the red too, but I'll whisper it in case my white colour Up is listening.
Carefull, your UP! might not putout tonight when you try to go home

·
Registered
198 Posts
scarja said:
Well, scientifically... In summer, if we assume average energy density of sunlight to be about 1kW/m2, and Up to have irradiated area of about 3.5x1.5m, and red paint to reflect about 1/3 of incoming light (in red spectrum) and absorb the rest, a red car will absorb about 3.5kW of heat. That's more than some kitchen ovens. Probably more than that, because red color seems to be nice saturated red, meaning only a narrow range of frequencies is reflected and more is absorbed.

White instead gets nearly none of that heat because it reflects everything.

This is all not too accurate, but the general idea should be valid...

·
Registered
202 Posts
I have to agree on the heat factor... I, like you, live in a hot country (Italy) and black cars are just unthinkable and white i spose helps :) I used to have a black panda with no airconditioning and I'd die everytime i parked it anywhere for more than 15 minutes :)
But this isn't a valid excuse for our british friends, they don't even know what heat is :)

·
Registered
1,438 Posts
What difference does it make? I'm not being facetious, I'm genuinely interested. What does the absorption of heat affect?

·
Registered
202 Posts
Davec86 said:
What difference does it make? I'm not being facetious, I'm genuinely interested. What does the absorption of heat affect?
Living in hot country it makes a BIG difference :) Heat in a car can be so bad you can't even sit in it cuz everything you touch is burning hot :)

·
Registered
1,438 Posts
Ah ok I'm with you, then you're wasting energy by trying to cool it down. I gues we don't really have such and issue in sunny England!
I guess that's another reason white is the best though! :D

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I had the mini 2 door then traded for 5 door countyrman nice car to look at but build nt that good, fel consumption 34mpg and that was 20 miles a day on motorway,,, smaller mini never dropped below 44mpg and was a hoot to drive, I know give bhp that UP won't deliver as much fun but I think it's as cool looking and different as a mini,,,,,Edited by: Hugo Up

·
Registered
1,382 Posts
I used to get hot in my Ka, and that was dark green. It never occurred to me that the colour of the car impacted the internal temperature. My Up was never too hot last year, mind you, the weather was not exactly the hottest ...

Hugo Up said:
I had the mini 2 door then traded for 5 door countyrman nice car to look at but build nt that good, fel consumption 34mpg and that was 20 miles a day on motorway,,, smaller mini never dropped below 44mpg and was a hoot to drive, I know give bhp that UP won't deliver as much fun but I think it's as cool looking and different as a mini,,,,,
Thanks. The bigger Minis look vile to me, the small one looks nice.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts