Up Owners Club banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi all, seeing if anyone else has noticed the same as me

My up has 13k on the clock, Front brake pads still have loads of life left in them
Yet the discs are worn (lipped) badly already, so when a pad change is due it will need discs

Has anyone had any joy getting these replaced under warranty??

James

·
Registered
957 Posts
Wear on brake discs will not be covered under warranty.
There is a minimum thickness then they change them.
If they are warped and you get brake judder you may have a chance !Edited by: Derkie54

·
Super Moderator
3,147 Posts
Hi Jayup...my discs warped and were changed with pads at 31k miles (vw paid 75% of cost which was fair enough I thought)

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ill keep an eye on them i think, they definetly are not warped at mo
Discs dont last like they used to ive noticed that work (volvo)
But they either last big miles, or two lots of pads per set of discs,
If they make it to 33k though i would be more than happy to change the whole lot.

·
Registered
333 Posts
Hi haven't be on the for weeks just looking and seen your post .i have never heard of discs worn before pads
Normally you would get about 25/30 thousand miles from pads .but discs you sometimes get some that are worked
Hard .on mostly down hill driving or such .you say your pads are hardly worn .i would take it up with vw and
Se what they say .its definitely not the norm . Hope you get sorted soon Regards phill

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
well im booked in in a week with VW to have a look

Also they are looking at a rattle on start up which goes when i put clutch down and just general noisy rattely engine until warm

anyone else had similar problems?

·
Registered
851 Posts
There was a thread a while back on whether engine braking or just the brakes should be used when going down steep hills. I have to say, your experience would suggest that engine braking might protect the discs from both wear and warping.

·
Registered
430 Posts
The rattle on start up that goes when the clutch is dipped is normal for the up. VW issued a technical bulletin in relation to this issue which I have posted somewhere on this forum.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Rickenbacker said:
The rattle on start up that goes when the clutch is dipped is normal for the up. VW issued a technical bulletin in relation to this issue which I have posted somewhere on this forum.
thanks for this, had read a few posts which suggest this,
thing is ive had the car looked at the dealership i work for (volvo) and they believe the noise to be not normal and quite excessive, maybe mine isnt the above issue as it makes a racket when driving too, booked in at vw next week so will update this on the outcome

·
Registered
851 Posts
Most people reporting excessive noise and rattle ended up having their water pump replaced and this appears to have fixed it.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Well its been in for two days now and the dealership still not got to bottom of the excessive noises and rattle on startup. They took a video recording which was sent to vw technical who have told them not go release car at moment .

so im still in dark and not enjoying the 5rd move up they have lent me lol :(

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
No update on the discs though
They keep forgetting to "ask" the technician
seems that complaint is being ignored

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
had the up back
apparantly worn discs is "normal" at 14k

with regards to the rattles from start up and rattles when accelerating under load, they replaced the crankcase breather and water pump..

the car seems the same yet they said on the phone it was good news and the "noise" had gone, don't know which noise they are referring to.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts