Up Owners Club banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I am a very happy owner of a 19 plate VW Up! GTI (red).

I am hoping to find out how long the brake pads take to wear, and if there are any sensors/indicators that will tell me when mine need to be changed?

Thanks for any help/information.

·
Registered
66 Posts
No sensors on the Up, but usually you'll 'hear and feel' when they need changing. On my Lupo GTI they make a 'whirry' noise when they are getting low, hard to explain but you will know!
Correct, no sensors, which is very frustrating as the MFD has a facility to display warning messages for brake pad wear. I tried enabling it using VCDS but no joy as the required hardware just isn't present. Such things are the price you pay for a budget city car I guess.

·
Registered
148 Posts
The RAC suggests anywhere between 25-60k, depending on brake pad material and frequency/type of braking:

As far as I can tell from some quick googling, GTI Up! OEM pads are either the same organic material as standard Up!s or the low metallic variety. If you've upgraded them to semi-metallic or ceramics, they will certainly last longer.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Mine seemed to last forever but lost there bite and feel after maybe 50% brake performance was terrible, replaced with Brembo OEM type pads and performance is restored.
Nothing compared to a PFC/Carbotech but OEM braking is back.

·
Registered
629 Posts
It's a difficult thing to answer, and all depends on driving style, but I recon 30-40,000 miles would be a good innings for a set of pads.

Best thing to do, is have them checked annually during the service interval.
You could do it yourself, by carefully removing one of the front wheels and doing a visual check.

Just make sure you do not go too long without changing them, as that can damage the face of the discs, resulting in scoring and possible MOT failure down the line.

I still recon 30,000 miles would be a good innings.

·
Registered
1,565 Posts
5 hours, if you go on a track day.

Apart from that this is what services etc are for and they should be checking them. The rest depends on how and where you drive, doing 5000 miles on motorways is very different to doing the same in an urban environment.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts