Up Owners Club banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone else notice a relay clunk from behind the dash when letting off the brake pedal? It can't be a relay for the lights or anything because it doesn't do it every time, only if the brakes haven't been pressed for about a minute. It's a little annoying, not the end of the world but I'm more curious as to what it could be for, my only thought is something to do with stop start system although I don't have it.Edited by: Ashy87

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
I thought it was just the noise of the pedal hitting the stopper when its let go??? I will have a play later..

Ive also noticed the car makes a whirring noise for a second after I unlock it and open the door.. its a nice noise, but no idea what it is lol.

·
Registered
727 Posts
If you like whirring noises then pop the hood (bonnet for you Brits) then pull the key out of the ignition and have a listen. All sorts of things happening under there.

·
Registered
1,382 Posts
Rednaxela said:
I thought it was just the noise of the pedal hitting the stopper when its let go??? I will have a play later..

Ive also noticed the car makes a whirring noise for a second after I unlock it and open the door.. its a nice noise, but no idea what it is lol.
Could it be central locking motors? If notice at the bottom of the door there is a projection which I assume part of the lock, and I guess there are motors in the doors and hatch.

·
Registered
619 Posts
I've noticed that too - lift off the brake pedal then 'click'. I've also heard various clicks when the windscreen wipers are on, usually set at intermittent. Nothing to worry about though...

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
I noticed that big bar on the door bottom that fits into a hole in the sill. I think it might be something to do with the structure of the car in the event of a crash???

interesting......

·
Registered
619 Posts
I thought the bar was something to do with the door central locking. My old two door Clio had something similar, but positioned further away from the hinged side of the door.

·
Registered
1,382 Posts
luckyjimmy said:
I thought the bar was something to do with the door central locking. My old two door Clio had something similar, but positioned further away from the hinged side of the door.
My naive thinking is that central locking would be easier to implement if the mechanism was in the floor pan. I might be wrong.

·
Registered
128 Posts
The bar in the door you mention is to help it keeps its rigdity in the case of accident. Part of the crash tests they do is to see if the doors can still be opened aftera crash. Obviously if it can then the better score it gets..

·
Registered
3 Posts
Ashy87 said:
Anyone else notice a relay clunk from behind the dash when letting off the brake pedal? It can't be a relay for the lights or anything because it doesn't do it every time, only if the brakes haven't been pressed for about a minute. It's a little annoying, not the end of the world but I'm more curious as to what it could be for, my only thought is something to do with stop start system although I don't have it.
I agree this is annoying, my car is with the local dealer at the moment for investigation, not hopeful.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Been to local dealer

It transpires that all their UP's have a clicking brake pedal and VW say "that makes it ok"

and nothing will be done, unless more people report issue to their dealer who in turn report it to VW who then might investigate.

In the mean time "Happy Clicking"

·
Registered
235 Posts
I look at the various posts on this site relating to the mystery noises with interest and although I haven't got my up! yet, I suspect they are, in the main, normal noises made by the various mechanical and electrical components.

I think most of them are influenced to 2 factors:
1. The up! is fundamentally a very quiet and refined car (for it's size)
2. This is achieved without the aid of a lot of sound-deadening material

In other words the operational noises it does make are more noticeable because they don't form part of a general noise are not artifically blocked out.

If you want to hear strange mechanical noises, try a Caterham 7 with the roof up!

Don't worry - be happy

·
Registered
1,862 Posts
Turn the music UP! :)

1 - 18 of 18 Posts