Up Owners Club banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Every time I start my morning journey in my 4 month old 2019 UP GTI and apply the brakes for the first time, a very loud squeal is heard from the back drums. If it rained during the day the noise would return every time the brake is applied. Anybody got any ideas on cause and cure?

Many thanks. Tommy

·
Banned
645 Posts
Not being technically minded, the only thing I can envisage causing a noise from the rear drums, would be the brake linings binding against the drum linings.

Drum brakes are such a simple design, that the only real problems they can give, is a leaking cylinder, but that's highly unlikely as your car is too new.

A visit to the dealership, hopefully enjoying one of their complimentary coffees, and ask them to check it over.

The cars got three years warranty on it, so make use of it.

Good luck

·
Registered
237 Posts
Every time I start my morning journey in my 4 month old 2019 UP GTI and apply the brakes for the first time, a very loud squeal is heard from the back drums. If it rained during the day the noise would return every time the brake is applied. Anybody got any ideas on cause and cure?
I have the same experience with the Up, but not with other cheaper cars. My conclusion is:

Cause: It is a VW.
Cure: If you do not like the VW peculiarities, then buy another car!

·
Registered
186 Posts
Something must be wrong. As it happens I am just in from inspecting/cleaning my brakes (15 month old car) ready for bad (I should say worse!) weather.

They are simple drum brakes with a metal wedge that tries to drop down when you pull on the handbrake . It is meant to take up any excess clearance & keep the shoes near the drums. Mine doesn't overdo it and the brakes when off are not rubbing at all. Being silent I can hear the slightest contact noise. I can also remove each drum easily without having to poke said wedge back up first.
So I reckon either the wedge is keeping the shoes too close or something else is stuck or there is something (broken spring, shoe retaining clip etc) scraping about inside).
Very quick thing to check as in you or a garage.
Remember also scuffing/squealing noise can also be loose wheel nuts (should all be 110n/m torque) I know its a new car but sometimes things go wrong with them.
Hope you get it fixed and can enjoy what sounds like a great motor.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,590 Posts
Drum shoes have a really bad habit of if not adjusted right vacuuming to the drums when wet if adjusted badly. I know this as about 20 years ago i had a mk3 Astra which suddenly applied the rear brakes at 40mph in the rain, apparently "they do that" and i've never owned another Vauxhall again.

I would take them in and get them checked asap for clearance.

·
Registered
237 Posts
I asked the local VW garage to clean it. They cleaned it and the squeal stopped, yes stopped for about one month, and then it was the same again.
So it is not a cleaning issue. It is bad design and/or low quality material.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts