Up Owners Club banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

My UP has done nearly 3000 miles but I have a grinding noice coming from (im sure) the front brakes.

Took it to VW but they said this is standard and nothing to worry about.

Does everyone here this noise or is the service dept just trying to get out of doing anything?

Any help will be great.

Thank you

·
Registered
265 Posts
Sure it isn't a rock stuck under the brake pad?
If it is, driving with it could ruin your brake disks

·
Registered
1,274 Posts
Bloody vw love this excuse dont they! Are all car makes the same with there excuses

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
hi,

when i say grinding its more a smooth grinding - I know that makes no sense at all.

it is more when the car comes to a stand still that the noise is heard.

I cannot really explain it, I just wondered if any anyone else had the same issue.

·
Registered
957 Posts
If it is a quiet rubbing noise then that is normal.
It has to make some noise.

·
Registered
705 Posts
Try reversing the car for a short distance and then apply the brakes. Drive forward and listen out for the noise.

I bet you don't get these excuses with the top of the range VW Veyron.

Nick

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Unfortunately it still makes the noise.
The discs look okay looking into the wheel, but not sure what they look like from behind.

Supposedly a relationship manager is going to call me.

This was a demonstrator and I have only had it for a week and only done about 300 miles.

In total the car has done about 2700 miles - surely this should not happen????

I am not convinced the VW are going to make this easy for me.

We will see....

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
I can hear my up when it brakes to a stop slowly at low speeds. It's just the brakes doing there thing and you hear it due to the lack of sound proofing in the cabin.
I would say it sounds like the noise when a rock slides out of the way to reveal a doorway in an Indiana Jones Movie, but much fainter... Is that the sort if thing you are hearing?

It's much worse when you first use your car after washing it and not driving it for a day or two, while the rusty stuff is ground off.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
yes it is when it comes to a stand still.
Really is this normal?

You dont work for VW do you?!!!

Maybe im just not used to the small car and bit less quality ie moved down from a bmw, but just not convinced they are as smooth as supposed to be for a brand new car.

Thank you very much for your reply though.

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
No, nothing to do with VW. I'm a Quality Engineer so much more boring lol

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
Also not sure if drum brakes make more noise. I expect they do on the back wheels. I doubt your BMW had drums on the back.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Mine has also made this noise since I had it at 2400 miles and I have done 13000 now with no issues (with the brakes). As was previously posted it's likely due to the lack of sound proofing that you can simply hear the break pads coming into contact with the discs.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts