Up Owners Club banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
587 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The wife drove my Up! home from the dealers last night and her one comment was the brakes did not seem that great. That was compared to the Polo she had just driven not the throw you back in your seat Golf GTi setup the Leon has. Other than that liked it, much less rolly polly than the polo and steering is weighted better and eninge although new is perky.

I assume they need the usual 200milesbeddingin will improve? Other than a drive round the block last night I have yet to drive it, as still using my scooter until the the weekend.

·
Registered
66 Posts
For me, brakes are perfect...

·
Registered
1,862 Posts
Me too... Brakes are good...

·
Registered
587 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for that, must just need bedding in a little. Not actually driven it myself properly so cannot comment.

·
Registered
217 Posts
The engine will just get perkier and more responsive the more miles you do. You can really notice a difference when you've done 1.5-2k miles. The brakes can also need to settle in for the first miles so they might feel quite weak (protective coating on discs) which should improve quite rapidly.

On my personal note it didn't help that I had to do an emergency braking on to a hard shoulder when I drove my car away from the dealers
But my brakes seem fine.

·
Super Moderator
3,147 Posts
couple of decent applications and it will be fine!

·
Registered
587 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Privatedoc said:
couple of decent applications and it will be fine!
An excuse for a more spirited drive to work on Friday night down some country lanes then

Will help bed the piston rings in nicely at the same time, can then have a nice sedate economy drive back home to see what I can get out of her mpg wise.

Edited by: jezyg

·
Registered
84 Posts
When I first drove mine, I thought the brakes were weak,but after a few weeks they're now fine. Obviously bedded in now

·
Registered
198 Posts
Brakes on the UP are fine, as others have said they maybe need a few weeks bedding in, but I have now covered 7,000 miles and they are fine.

·
Registered
587 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I ditched the Scooter this morning with the bad weather and yep the brakes seemed fine, not that I really had to use them. More impressive was the 50mpg out of the box on a wet and windy urban crawl...outstanding!

·
Super Moderator
3,147 Posts
Nice , isn't it....I was a wee bit late this morning so drove Ahem...enthusiastically up the road in the awful fog/rain etc........62.8mpg over 32 miles!

·
Registered
587 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Privatedoc said:
Nice , isn't it....I was a wee bit late this morning so drove Ahem...enthusiastically up the road in the awful fog/rain etc........62.8mpg over 32 miles!

For a 1 litre petrol the economy if excellent, a small derv would struggle toachievethat, my previous Leon FR 170 TDi would only manage 42 on the same run. Interested to see whaty I can do once I have got use to it and the engine had bedded in a little.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts