Up Owners Club banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Having recently traded in my GTi I have for sale my 'spare' wheel and toolkit....never used, apart from a short 'test' run!
Steel wheel fitted with an FE City GT Radial Tyre 165/70R/14.

Product Black Tool Material property Musical instrument accessory
Automotive tire Motor vehicle White Automotive lighting Light
Tire Wheel Automotive tire Synthetic rubber Light

·
Registered
434 Posts
Yes it will fit in the boots wheel well. I ha.ve a 14" wheel in my GTIs boot.

Others on here have said even a 17" wheel fits, so a 14" is no problem.

·
Super Moderator
1,631 Posts
will these fit ok in the gti boot?
Spare wheel won't fit over the front brakes if you have a puncture, so you'll need to faff around putting one of the back wheels on the front if you have a front puncture, then put the spare wheel on the back.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Hi...no, its a Skoda Citigo wheel and toolkit.
I assume then that it wouldn’t cause any issues as it’s more or less the same car?

The GTI obviously has 17” as standard so would one of these be suitable as a temp replacement for one of the four corners if it came to that? I’m aware that with a lot of the smaller wheels, some juggling would be required if one had a front puncture due to the callipers.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I assume then that it wouldn’t cause any issues as it’s more or less the same car?

The GTI obviously has 17” as standard so would one of these be suitable as a temp replacement for one of the four corners if it came to that? I’m aware that with a lot of the smaller wheels, some juggling would be required if one had a front puncture due to the callipers.
Check the rolling radius and if it’s more than 5% out put it on the rear only. It probably won5 fit over the callipers anyway

·
Super Moderator
1,631 Posts

The 14" spare wheel will definitely not fit over the front GTI brakes.

·
Super Moderator
1,631 Posts
With this in mind, it would just be a faff if you had an issue with a front. Irrespective of this, is this wheel/tyre suitable for a rear swap?
Suspension/brakes on the rear of the GTI are the same as any other up!/Citigo/Mii.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·

Wow...didn't think posting this for sale would generate so much interest! I bought this as a spare knowing that it can only be fitted to the rear of the Gti due to the calipers on the front, but wasn't phased by the 'faff' required if a front puncture should occur....after all it is only for emergency purposes, so I wasn't expecting to be using it too often!...in fact in 3 years and 20k miles it was never used!...I may just have been lucky! I did however have a short run out to test it and it was fine....of course the rolling radius is slightly different so you will get the 'flat tyre' alarm!

1 - 20 of 25 Posts