Up Owners Club banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,179 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, in the pack I got when ordering it tells us that we get one years VW roadside assistance for free.... which is ace.

However, my dilema is that I've have a longstanding AA breakdown membership, and they just sent me a letter sating they are upgrading me for no extra charge to silver membership which will give me a few benefits which maybe useful for me.

Has anyone used the VW breakdown before and is it any good?

Would you continue with the AA cover, or loose the extra benefits and start again in a years time?

I have to decide by the end of the week really.... HELP!

·
Registered
29 Posts
VW assistance is very good it is actually RAC. They have there own vans I only called them out once to clear a fault code from my Fox.

Not sure about the extras you get with the AA VW assistance always seemed the cheapest and covered me for everything and I have always renewed with them or direct with RAC and I have been with them since 07 with VW's and then before that with a punto and they were excellent with that as the punto had many problems.
I don't like the AA as they tend to tow people unlike RAC that loads the car up on a special rig that is in the back of the truck.

To my knowledge there is no law about how many breakdown covers you have on your car if it is not costing anything to stay with the AA and you want to stay with them after the years free breakdown then stay with both.
Use the VW Assist if you have a problem and you won't lose your NCB (yes they now use the ncb system so they can charge more if you use the service)

Just my 2p

·
Registered
453 Posts
The VW cover is really good and actually good value when you come to renew it, used them a few times and superb service, however, I would recommend waiting for the VW Assistance operative rather than RAC as these chaps are more VW savvy

You can however defer your AA membership, we have one deferred at moment which we will end up using on our 500 till I get shot

·
Premium Member
1,179 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
hmmmm... thanks guys, this has given me a good lot to think about.

and just out of curiousity, for instance, do you know say if I broke down 100miles from home that they would take me all the way home?
I know my AA cover does upto 60miles and if I want it for any further away they charge me a minimal extra to do it.

·
Registered
453 Posts
willowaz said:
hmmmm... thanks guys, this has given me a good lot to think about.

and just out of curiousity, for instance, do you know say if I broke down 100miles from home that they would take me all the way home?
 I know my AA cover does upto 60miles and if I want it for any further away they charge me a minimal extra to do it.
I got taken to my dealer of choice, I was recovered in Bristol and went to Oxford given dealers were shut and next morning car recovered to my preferred dealer, I've also had a hire car through these schemes when it's had to be in for a repair

·
Registered
70 Posts
I use breakdown insurance via Boncaster.Found out about it a few years ago via money saving expert and it's very highly recommended.
The only difference is you HAVE to carry a credit card and pay up front for breakdown/recovery: you then claim it back via the insurance.
Oh and the only other difference is it's £38 per year!

·
Premium Member
1,179 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
thanks timbo for that, unfortunatly my dilema is not that I'm looking for another breakdown cover, its that I will have too many, but good to know for future ref. :)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts