Up Owners Club banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
583 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone been or still running these ?

What are your experiences with them ?

I still have them on the Eco up! (stock steelies with 175/65/14 ), but even with less than 600 miles on the li'l bugger, I find them to be hardly inspiring.

They brake OK in the dry, but the rear will sidestep on small transverse ridges in corners - even without pushing it.

They are easily overpowered by the brakes on damp or wet roads, and it already shows during (very) moderate driving - I don't feel like I want to put them to the test in a dire situation.

I'm used to driving on eco-tyres like the Michelin Energy Saver, but those are clearly a notch or three above the Ecopias.

·
Registered
8 Posts
There appear to be two models of Ecopia EP25 in this size. One rates a 'B' on wet performance, the other rates a 'C'. Both are good results.
http://auto.bridgestone.eu/passenger-tyres/ranges/ecopia/ep25/?width=175&aspectratio=65&rim=14

The VW UP! looks like it is also pretty good at keeping it's wheels on the ground in the Euro NCAP test.
http://youtu.be/Gvz3NTr_7wE

Under braking it still could be going light on the rear tyres, probably enough for you to notice a reduction in grip. Try putting some luggage in the boot weighing more than 20Kg and see if that makes a difference. Weight reduction is good for fuel economy but not if the tyres are too wide for the load.

My last set of Vredestein winter tyres on another car took at least 500 miles from new to reach their best.

·
Registered
583 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The test 75HP BMT up felt far more planted than my Eco up! - which is a BMT, but it's only lowered by 15mm instead of the usual 30mm to give enough clearance for the tanks.

Weight on the rear wheels shouldn't be an issue, it's got a couple pretty heavy tanks back there making the whole car is some 100 kg / 200 lbs heavier than a regular up!

·
Registered
705 Posts
The Eco up! has several fuel tanks for the different fuels used.

Nick

1 - 6 of 6 Posts