Up Owners Club banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all!

I've had my Up! from new - its a Move Up, 62 plate.

Tonight, on my way home from my 14 hour shift, my beloved car has started making an appalling metallic screeching squealing noise. I've looked underneath it and nothing's hanging off (I have already been through one faulty heat shield). It's minus 4 here tonight (the temp still works!!) and I'm waiting on the side of the road for VW recovery.

Any ideas what it might be? Has anyone else had this problem? It's done about 40k miles but no off-roading or 'rough terrain'! Can't see any damage to the underneath.

Any wisdom gratefully accepted...

Thank you!

Katie

·
Registered
397 Posts
Eky14 said:
Has anyone else had this problem?
Is the noise present when car is stationary with engine running, or only when car is on the move? In my case it was the latter - a small stone caught between a front wheel brake disk and the disk shield. I took car straight to VW dealer. Technician asked if I had driven on a newly resurfaced road. Yes, I had! Problem solved by reversing the car a few inches. trapped stone/ road grit dropped out. Problem has never returned but with this current weather if it happens again I'll know what to do.

·
Registered
149 Posts
PeterWestSussex said:
Eky14 said:
 Has anyone else had this problem?
Is the noise present when car is stationary with engine running, or only when car is on the move?  In my case it was the latter - a small stone caught between a front wheel brake disk and the disk shield.  I took car straight to VW dealer.  Technician asked if I had driven on a newly resurfaced road.  Yes, I had! Problem solved by reversing the car a few inches. trapped stone/ road grit dropped out.  Problem has never returned but with this current weather if it happens again I'll know what to do.
I had exactly the same thing happen to me on a mercedes I owned years ago. At low speed, it started screeching. I stopped, jacked up the corner where the noise was coming from and I physically saw the small piece of gravel lodged twixt disc and pad. Rotated it backwards and out it popped. Noise gone.
Happened again a year later and like you, Peter, I knew to just reverse for a few yards.

By the way, OP, did this resolve the problem?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hello all.

Thank you for your wisdom - you were all correct!

Was a little embarrassed as by the time the AA man turned up it wasn't making much of a noise at all: I presume because of the very cold temperature, it self dislodged. He was very thorough and took the wheel and calliper off for me just to make sure. I am sure we looked ridiculous standing at the side of the road, he in full hi viz and me in my ambulance jacket. I can See the groove it has chiselled into my brake disc but the discs are fine! Amazed that my discs and pads are still good after 42k miles of driving.

What's the best thing to do if it happens again?

Thank you! :) x

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Sorry - just re read. Ok, if you see a little blue Up going backwards, it's me with my stone alluring brake discs.

Ta!

·
Registered
149 Posts
Thanks for getting back to us, Katie, to follow up on the thread.
Glad it has resolved the issue. I guess it was an example of the 3rd emergency service calling out the 4th emergency service!!

We'll keep an eye out for a blue up! going backwards!!

TimEdited by: Timii

1 - 7 of 7 Posts