Up Owners Club banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My drivers side day time running light bulb has gone out, after only a year, is that normal?
Is this a VW garage problem or any garage/autoshop fix?
Thanks in advance for any help!!

Benny

·
Registered
397 Posts
This does not surprise me in the slightest! In fact, amazing its lasted that long even!
VW have used a twin filament bulb which, apart from the cap, is identical to the old stop/tail lights of old (ref 380 or 382 if I remember correctly). With those the 21w filamentwould blow and the whole bulb turn 'black' (a sure sign of overheating) and that was with the bulb being lit for short periods at a time (only when the brakes were applied).
Functioning as a DRL, it's on all the time the engine is running (21w in daylight, 5w at nighttime) - so no surprise its lasted only 12 months. Why have VW not used an LED for the DRLs?
So definitely, NO case to make a claim against the garage. I am expecting to be able to change mine myself- and that reminds me, thank you, that I must go to Halfords to buy a couple of replacement bulbs to have in readiness.

Edited by: PeterWestSussex

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I'm Also guessing it's not illegal to have it out like it would be a tail light etc? so I can leave it a couple of days to fix it?

·
Registered
12 Posts
No, DRL's are not a legal requirement yet so not illegal to have one blown (although it would bug me and get replaced ASAP), they are a T20 fitment capless bulb so make sure that you buy the twin filament type.

It should be easy to fit for yourself, and if you buy a twin pack then you have a spare for when the other one blows

Edit

Should really have checked before posting (I left the motor trade before DRL's appeared) the requirement is for ALL lights to be in good working order, although DRL's are not specifically mentioned, they are included in this.

On the other side of the coin your chances of being spotted and pulled over for it are tiny.

Edited by: Stonesie

·
Registered
99 Posts

·
Registered
99 Posts
Gary02TDi - how easy is it to fit the MTEC DRL? are the connectors not different to the original fit, or are they a direct replacement?

thanks for any help

·
Registered
727 Posts
UPANDATEM said:
how easy is it to fit the MTEC DRL? are the connectors not different to the original fit, or are they a direct replacement?

Exactly like the original only better..!

·
Registered
99 Posts
Thanks for that - will order a set

Cheers

·
Registered
12 Posts
I noticed my mum's was out on the driver's side yesterday and mine has gone this morning. I am getting more and more fed up with this car. Is it simple to change myself?

·
Registered
540 Posts
EABowden said:
I noticed my mum's was out on the driver's side yesterday and mine has gone this morning. I am getting more and more fed up with this car. Is it simple to change myself?<span ="Apple-tab-span" style="white-space:pre"></span>
Very. Fitting a replacement will take you 30 seconds.

Sometimes bulbs blow, it's no biggie. The DRls/sidelights are very inexpensive to replace, just make sure you buy the right one.

·
Registered
339 Posts
I was surprised the UP has old filament bulbs for DRLs. They increase the load on the alternator and therefore increase fuel consumption. LED makes more sense, or I might just leave mine when the big filament goes.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts