Up Owners Club banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First tiny project on the Up! was to fit some new bulbs as I didn't like the weakish headlights nor the DRL's "candle" colour - or the fried eggs (otherwise called as indicator bulbs
)

Since I've done this before on my other Ups and had experience in different bulb manufacturers I thought I'd share my personal taste of the best ones.

If you are like me and like using Amazon alot instead of Ebay etc. I've collected here the ones I've used.

H4 Headlights - Osram Nightbreakers

Deffo better then the Philips X-treme Power ones. Gives a nice decently white light and the difference nighttime is immense. Colourwise goes well together with the new DRL's.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B003Y7FKTC/ref=oh_details_o01_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

W21/5W DRL - WHITE Polarg M13

Really pleasantly surprised by these dual filaments. They give a bright HID type of white, almost blueish light when used as DRL. After switching the main beams on they obviously get dimmer and at that point the colour fits perfectly with the Nightbreakers.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00BMVWBTY/ref=oh_details_o00_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

PY21/W indicator bulbs - Philips Silver Vision

Nothing beats the Silver Visions on this front. They remove the fried egg look and provide nice, clear amber light as required by law.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Philips-12496-SV-Silver-Vision-Bulbs/dp/B000PGRI5O/

Edited by: ZillUp

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I'll try to take some pictures later today to show them.

·
Super Moderator
1,495 Posts
I prefer the look of my Osram Diadem bulbs, as they look transparent clear, but still flash a very bright amber. I've had issue with mirrored bulbs in the past where the silver coating has started flaking off after a while.

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well as said, this is of my personal taste :) Might prove helpful to someone who wants to switch the bulbs but don't want to go through trickles from several other threads.

·
Registered
438 Posts
I've ordered the new bulbs but I have a couple of questions,

1. How can a replacement bulb be brighter but use no more power? Is it just that bog standard bulbs are poor quality?

2. What about rear lights? Apart from indicators, is there an upgrade for these too?

·
Super Moderator
1,495 Posts
Scrubnut said:
I've ordered the new bulbs but I have a couple of questions,

1. How can a replacement bulb be brighter but use no more power? Is it just that bog standard bulbs are poor quality?

2. What about rear lights? Apart from indicators, is there an upgrade for these too?

The quality and quantity of the gas, colour of the glass, all contribute to the light output of a bulb.

Rear upgrades are generally limited to LED bulbs.

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
Journey home last night was spoilt by someone behind who had upgraded his bulbs to ultra bright. My cabin was ablaze with light and I was dazzled by the rear view and wing mirrors. If you must upgrade please ensure your lights are correctly adjusted. Edited by: Beevee

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well road legal bulbs even though brighter shouldn't put your car ablaze unless they are wrongly fitted/very badly adjusted. Then of course there are the jerks who use non-legal ones that burn like the sun.

·
Registered
438 Posts
ZillUp said:
Well road legal bulbs even though brighter shouldn't put your car ablaze unless they are wrongly fitted/very badly adjusted. Then of course there are the jerks who use non-legal ones that burn like the sun.
Or even worse, the ones with one headlight out so they drive around with the other one on full beam !

·
Registered
222 Posts
If you replace with LED bulbs will it give you error codes?

·
Registered
467 Posts
Heartagram said:
If you replace with LED bulbs will it give you error codes?
Up! will register error and You`ll be atbel to see it only when connecting and testing errors with VAG-COM.LED`s do work w/o errors, but I suggest to buy CAN-BUS/ERROR FREE LED`s, they won't give errors.

And for the interior light I bought simple LED, which was giving slight lightning even when whitch was in OFF position. Changed the simple to CAN-BUS LED and there isn`t such issue anymore!

·
Registered
222 Posts
Cool. What bulbs are the side indicators?

·
Registered
1,274 Posts
I'm really sorry and have been meaning to ask a numerous times but the drl bulbs arnt they a bayonet fitting not a wedge? I did try to check once but was in a rush and couldn't do it! If There's a thread on here describing it could someone point it out lol

·
Registered
727 Posts
Itzben said:
I'm really sorry and have been meaning to ask a numerous times but the drl bulbs arnt they a bayonet fitting not a wedge?

·
Registered
727 Posts
Itzben said:
And they fit in with no adaptors or out?

You mean the MTECs or the original bulbs..? The MTEC bulbs are exactly like the original except blue in colour.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Is it possible for someone to do a list of all of the rear bulb types? i cant seem to find one anywhere.

Brakes

Lights

Indicators

Reverse

Numberplate

·
Registered
1,274 Posts
Eeee what a plonka I feel, I always thought the drls where the same fitment as the indicator bulbs so was wondering how the above pics fit but now i actually got under the bonnet and looked its quite obviously not the same fitting as the indictor bulb haha so I have a set of white drls on the way as recommended on the front page!

·
Registered
52 Posts
I did a search and found nothing, I know the numberplate bulb is a 501 something but would be grateful if someone could tell me or give me a link to the others

1 - 20 of 27 Posts