Up Owners Club banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, just wondering if any other Up! owners (Move) have sufferred from the same issue? my lovely Up! has done 2500 miles to date and is only 3+ months old - would you expect any defects? well seems like you do ..... was driving uphill in a long queue and suddenly saw steamish kind smoke coming from under the bonnet and had a terrible smell of burning come into the car via the ventilator but there was nowhere to go except INTO the car park. I lifted the bonnet as soon as I parked the car and nearly fainted from the smell!!!!! worried .... its sunday afternoon ..... anyway emailed salesman as soon as I got home that evening then again Monday morn to be re-directed by them to the service dept. - never heard of burning smell in Up! + told me to just call service dept & book the car in ..... vend for myself basically - after several emails to anyone I could get hold of the email for in the same branch I managed to book it in for Tuesday mornfor the service dept to have a drive around and a check - drive around done and confirmed there's a clutch slip causing that horrible smell????I did point out that clutch hasnt been brilliant since day 1 and willing to take things further .... but anyway was told to bring car back & they'll wash out the clutch as a goodwill gesture to try remove the smell as we cant say manufacturer fault but if any normal person hears a story of a 4 month car that's only done 2500 milessuffers from ANY ailment they'd think I'm crazy or the car is made of corn flakes? I love my car but just need a solution -I checked factory warranty and EVERYTHING is covered in cars in the first 6 months and that havedone under 6500 miles so what is the dealers' issue????? please advice??????

·
Registered
34 Posts
Hi Amy,

It doesn't seem at all right that you should be experiencing something like that after so few miles and such a short period of time.

I've had a couple of minor issues with my Up! recently and in trying to get them resolved, initially I was told that they couldn't find anything wrong. I had to persist a bit, but eventually I was able to get them to agree that the problems existed. It helped a lot that I had read on this site that the issues were common for others and that I had an inkling as to what the issue was.

I try not to be cynical but I think these dealers do try to fob us off with the 'we can find anything wrong' line. I'm not sure how their businesses work but I imagine that they don't want to have to do warranty work if they can avoid it.

But in your case, I would say that a good first step would be for them to wash out the clutch. I'm no mechanic but I would think that would involve quite a lot of work for them to get to the clutch to wash it. I think all you can do initially is to let them do that and see how you get on. If things don't improve then you will need to go back. But do physically point out to them what you have found out about the warranty. Physically show it to the service advisor when you take the car in and get their assurance that the work they do will be at their cost. The clutch shouldn't be warn out so you should find that whatever they do in this first step should sort the problem out. I have had my Up for 9 months and have done 23000 miles in it and had no problems with a smoking clutch and don't recall reading about anyone else with a similar problem, so lets hope it gets sorted for you:)

Simon

·
Super Moderator
1,495 Posts
Driving uphill in slow traffic? If you're getting clutch slip it sound more like poor driving practices than a fault with the car. Perhaps you're building too many revs and using clutch bite to control your speed in slow moving traffic. This is not the way to do it and will result in a burnt clutch plate.

·
Registered
25 Posts
My daughter has had her car since Jan and we've been trying to get something done about an issue with reverse gear getting stuck. Apparently it is a characteristic of all UP's with this type of gearbox and the solution is to double clutch. Have you had any problems with the reverse before this has happened as if you have and noone has told you about the known TPI on these cars and to double clutch then you can have them on it. We are trying to get something done and my young daughter has been told it was due to poor driving but since we have pushed it and it actually happened when it went into them they cannot deny it but the can refuse to fix it it seems as we are told that it is a characteristic on cars with this gearbox. Don't be fobed off and made to feel like a bad driver remember that not all members on this forum are the average person some people work for VW and will give you false information.

I recommed you go to your local CAB and contact watchdog like me if you really feel that you have been patted on the head and told to move along. Let me know how you get on and if I can help in anyway I will.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks everyone for responding to my problem - Yes, the clutch has been washed out now and I am driving the car to see if it happens again. I've also contacted VW Ge and they responded very promptly and sent a copy to VW UK to deal with. Hopefully I won't need to wait until it has gone beyond the 6 months. I have been driving for more than 30 years and have mostly driven German cars such as BMW, VW, Mercedes ...... and have never ever had this problem or any other 'clutch' problem before - it's sad as I love my car and wouldn't want to part with it .... BUT still require a solution and can't believe something like this can happen to any car within such a short period of time ....... hope your daughter gets her Up! sorted :) .... no haven't had any problems with reverse ..... Thanks everyone and will keep you posted

·
Registered
1 Posts
My Move UP bluemotion doesn't like reversing without making a horrible smell. I also now have a rattly clutch release bearing and to top it all the trade in value is now the same as the balloon payment in 2 years!! What's going on VW? Quantity over quality? It's nippy comfy well balanced and economic car, why these poor issues and residuals?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts