2014 High Up!, 75hp,Black
85 Posts
there is no debate

• Haha
Reactions: Tracendaz

·
Registered
416 Posts
Not heard of one snapping personally on a UP/Mii/Citigo. That said, the oldest ones are only 10 years old and they tend not to be driven mega miles.

Anecdotally, a mate had one go at 40K miles on his Alfa 147 GTA which resulted in a £4,000 engine rebuild! My brother had one snap on a Peugeot 306 Dturbo but that had been changed on the cheap by a dodgy garage.

·
Registered
2,873 Posts
I still love Alfas - but let's be honest, they seem to be built to fail.... :)

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I still love Alfas - but let's be honest, they seem to be built to fail.... :)
The GTA is a pretty special build and its usually the tensioner that fails and takes the belt with it on the Busso, needs changing every four years but I would probably do it sooner, I'll stick with the duplex chain on my Nord... Alfa's started having some probs when the electrics got complex, sadly my 147 was full of fairly serious rot which was disappointing after owning a (dull) GTTDI Golf which had absolutely no rust ... bloody cars - who'd 'ave 'em...

·
Registered
82 Posts
The debate rages on but has anyone ever actually had a cambelt snap on their Up/Citgo/Mii
Checked the usual German forums: No problems with cam belts.

Officially: just a visual check at 150 000 miles and then every 30 000 after that. A few reported water pump failures.

Here's a pick of a naturally aspirated 1.0 with about 90000 miles on the clock. The belt was not changed.

Helmet Motor vehicle Automotive lighting Automotive tire Hood

·
Registered
2,873 Posts
Why would a water pump failure require a cambelt change?
They are on opposite ends of the engine....

Reactions: RedTSi

·
Registered
82 Posts
Why would a water pump failure require a cambelt change?
They are on opposite ends of the engine....
Thank You! Absolutely right. I re-read the posting in German. The poster said "belt" and not the timing belt. Waterpump has it's own belt. I will correct my post in order to avoid the dissemination of misinformation.

·
Registered
2,873 Posts
Remember the golden rule in this day and age when we are all struggling.

We must all tighten our Belts.
Nonsense !
My Brexit Bonus cheque is, I am told, "in the post", so I am currently checking out ex-oligarch yachts, at the sales!

Reactions: TEST DRIVER

·
Registered
709 Posts
Nonsense !
My Brexit Bonus cheque is, I am told, "in the post", so I am currently checking out ex-oligarch yachts, at the sales!

Have the yachts in the sales got sails or will they just sail by?

I guess with your bonus cheque you will be wanting to add to your collection of Long johns. My new improved range is out now as i managed to get a shipment of Chips from my agent in China. My staff are now busy connecting the chips to the heating elements.

I have found it quite easy to locate a good supply of chips, but a lot harder to get a good supply of fish.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts