Up Owners Club banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just curious, been looking around for cars to replace my lovely little Audi A2... tried out the 2006 Civic and didn't like it at all, cheap plastic interior, think i've been spoilt by German cars.

I'm sure someone must have came from a little Audi top the cute little VW, just wondering what your thoughts are in comparison?

My first car was the boxy 1980's Fiat Panda which i absolutely adored, side then i've had a soft spot for small cars with character.

Also how is is the Up! on the motorway?

Thanks, my first post on here...

·
Registered
1,286 Posts
Hi venusonfurs,

Did my up! on a GERMAN motorway today ...
See my coment on "Is the up! a city car" today ...

The
up! has no chance if a car with 190 km/h (120 mph) or more comes from
behind. You have to look into the mirrors. But accelerating from 60 to
80 mph on a "normal crowed" motorway hasn't been a problem.

I think the plastic door lining of the up! looks a bit "cheaper" than the door lining of my former Lupo ...
But
I have a very special colour combination (see link below) and the red
Salsa seats plus red dash look 10.000x better than my former Lupo
interior ...

I have a 5 doors up! and I love the advantage of a
very small car with 4 side doors (putting things on the back seat). Also
the variable heights of the back is great.

My first grilfriend had a 1980 (or late 1970s?) Fiat Panda ...
The one with the starter in the middle of the car? Was funny to drive the car! (made my licence in 1982) ...

My "advice": Take an up! with Drive Pack, M&M and Sound Pack (6 speakers).
You will not regret to have these extras ...

·
Registered
176 Posts
Having grown used to the quality of interior materials used in your A2, it saddens me to say that you will be left disappointed by the quality of interior materials employed in the UP!

During its production the A2 was considered somewhat ground-breaking in that it was the only vehicle, bar Audi's flagship A8, to benefit from its space frame technology (all aluminium construction), in addition to enjoying the same level interior build quality of the Audi A4 that was in production at the same time.

As a former owner of a 2002 Audi A4, if your budget allows, I'd suggest that you consider either an Audi A1, or the new VW Polo, over the UP! since both models benefit from the use of high quality, soft touch interior plastics, in addition to supressing wind and road noise more efficiently, due to the added insulation from which both models benefit.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I myself came from an Audi A2 diesel and agree with the quality of materials comment, the Up! doesn't get near the A2 in this regard.

However, I have been very impressed with the Up! so far, and much like the A2, it always manages to put a smile on my face when I drive it. It has similar MPG figures, but of course Petrol is slightlycheaperso everyone's a winner.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
But the Polo is boring and the A1 way above my budget.

I'm used to small car interiors, I had a 2007 Fiat panda...

·
Registered
1,286 Posts
Hi vif,

I am also in guitar and bass player forums.
People ask which model to buy ...

I often answer: FOLLOW YOUR HEART!
The only reason not to follow it is when there are serous reasons. An instrument bought by heart, a loved instrument will stay for many years. A logically bought instrument won't satisfy for long. Even minor lacks don't care as long as you bought the instrument because of love ...

Do the same when buying a car!
Is there an up! model you really like (colour, interior, extras) or fell in love with? I fell in love with my very special config (see link beow). Maybe you find an outfit which really thrills you. There are so many possibilities to build up your own special up! ...

You already wrote something about prefering German cars.
This might lead the way. If your heart desires a German car, you won't get satisfied with an Italian or French car - even if it is a Ferrari. I would only buy a German, Japanese or British car ...

Don't worry about motorways! My 60BHP is already good enough for German motorways
Maybe ask for a test drive.

In the German forum it is said that the gas version makes sense for people with 50 miles plus a day (to work). But don't know how good the UK gas station system is.

·
Registered
38 Posts
I just traded UP! my Audi A2. It was a 1.6 FSI so not the most economical, but SE spec so climatic aircon etc. Like others have said watch spec and finish. I got a Move UP! and miss left side electric window switch on drivers door, also switches there are not illuminated. Without the 'Maps and More' the read out is very basic with no mpg or range read-out.

The UP! is a much better drive than the A2, coping with broken road surfaces and the like. Economy is very good, mine is not run-in and I'm seeing mid 50's mpg. Space wise it is a close run thing, with perhaps a little more leg room in the back of the UP! but the versatility prize has to go to the A2 with it's removable rear seats. I like the fact there is a full size spare in the UP!

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
NightBlue said:
I just traded UP! my Audi A2. It was a 1.6 FSI so not the most economical, but SE spec so climatic aircon etc. Like others have said watch spec and finish. I got a Move UP! and miss left side electric window switch on drivers door, also switches there are not illuminated. Without the 'Maps and More' the read out is very basic with no mpg or range read-out.

The UP! is a much better drive than the A2, coping with broken road surfaces and the like. Economy is very good, mine is not run-in and I'm seeing mid 50's mpg. Space wise it is a close run thing, with perhaps a little more leg room in the back of the UP! but the versatility prize has to go to the A2 with it's removable rear seats. I like the fact there is a full size spare in the UP!

Just curious, what made you trade in the A2?

Anyway thanks for the comparison, really helps for someone who's owned and appreciated the A2 to share their experience.

I'm in the process of saving for my next car and the A2 is doing well, mine is an SE too so climate control etc...

Good to hear the ride is nice in the up, one of the few negatives to the A2.

I'm curious to know how long the little 1 litre engines are expected to last but i guess no-one knows yet since they are so new.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Although, it's styling is considered somewhat conservative, matching that of the Golf, I consider the new Polo to be very impressive.

However, the new Polo has inherited many features currently in use in the MK7 Golf, most notably dense interior plastics, which provide the Polo with a far greater feeling of luxury than its predecessor, which, in itself, wasn't bad at all when it came to interior quality.

So much so, I'm counting down the next six months, to the point where my finance agreement is no longer in negative equity, so that I can place an order for a five-door Polo SE, in Carmen red, with a 90bhp engine.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts