Up Owners Club banner

1 - 20 of 63 Posts

·
Registered
525 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A friend of Tweeter1980 suggested the up! Is a camp car. I don't agree but it's an interestingg question. Is there really such a thing as a camp car? My vote goes to the Vauxhall Ampera, especially in white!

·
Registered
214 Posts
Mmmm okay I think some peeps just think that small means camp but it would be far worse in bright pink. As for the Ampera, it looks nice as do some of the other Vauxhall but they always feel decidedly cheap on the inside, but I don't think it looks gay. My Friend actually said the up was something else but I thought that would be moderated so I said Camp.

·
Super Moderator
3,147 Posts
not camp, just the car for someone who has NOTHING to prove other than good taste!

·
Registered
619 Posts
What? A camp car? Surely this is the sort of puerile question that should have been left behind in the playground? The mind boggles that someone would even articulate such a question. I must be turning into one of Wogan's TOGs...

·
Super Moderator
3,147 Posts
There are NO camp cars, just camp owners

·
Registered
1,382 Posts
The Citroen 2CV is definitely a camp car. I can just see one now, parked up on grass, the owners sitting cross legged nearby, next to a fire, singing cum by arrr (spelling?), their young charges wearing their scout uniforms with pride.

The Up camp? Nah. I saw a bright pink Fiat 500, which looked camp. I've seen a Scimitar light tank painted pink, which looked camp. The pink plastic pigs on top did not detract from the effect. In general I don't think there are camp cars, just as cars with big engines and exhausts are not butch/macho, they just shout "the owner wants to make a statement, so is either insecure, or has a small one". Actually the closest to camp I can think of - apart from pink girly cars - is the small car that has been lowered, had its wheels replaced by ones with thin tyres, had a skirt put around the edges (there's the clue), darkened glass and so on. The Vauxhall Nova is a classic case.

·
Registered
212 Posts
So Leif, what you're saying is: Men who have big cars have small ones and men who drive a VW up!..............have obviously been attracted to the low running costs and fun motoring the up! ably provides?

·
Registered
1,862 Posts
Yeah!

·
Registered
214 Posts
At the end of the day so what if it is camp if it is what you like and provides for your needs and is cost effective.

·
Registered
525 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I was thinking of camp as a good thing!! Kitch, a bit over the top and a little flamboyant, maybe with a tendency to cross- dressing! A bit like Dame Edna Everidge! Most cars these days are so boring looking (not the up! of course, that is clever and sophisticated!) just imagine the car Dame Edna would have

·
Registered
212 Posts
Like others have said I'm not sure what makes a car camp (if that's even the right word these days)?

I was looking for something cheaper on fuel, tax, insurance etc, probably like most of us. It's obviously not the cheapest option to purchase though. I could've bought a Chevrolet Spark or a Hyundai I10......

One of my mates, on first seeing it, said 'it's like a real car, but smaller'.

I guess it is but look how clever it is. Like the Tardis it's somehow bigger on the inside. I have more space as a driver than his A4 and quite frankly a more engaging drive, the space in the back is barely compromised and the boot is surprisingly spacious once you remove the shelf.

I have air-con, sat nav, heated seats, electric windows etc the same as a 'big' car.

It feels like it's all been thought through rather than lazily designed using the previous model as a template and using bits from parts bins.

Perhaps it's just easier to be critical if you've never driven one? I mean, it's just a small Volkswagen isn't it?

Perhaps why the dealers don't do many offers is because after a test drive it's difficult to haggle with a big grin on your face

Camp, girly or whatever, whoever wants to tag it, it's a cracking vehicle (although at this point it dawns on me that I'm preaching to the choir
) and I'd probably have another one.....perhaps the GT or maybe one of these, the 2013 VW XL1, 310mpg, diesel plug-in hybrid with gull-wing doors!!! Awesome or what?

It's lost the tandem seating of the previous L1 though, which is a shame.

·
Registered
604 Posts
well said Manacee I could not have said it better myself

and oh yes the original fiat 500 is camp!

·
Registered
705 Posts
The Topolino! Heresy. It's a great car, particularly in maroon and black. One of Dante Giacosa's masterpieces.

Nick

·
Registered
304 Posts
The topolino in convertible form was noddys mode of transport, look closely and you will see the exact car shape. True fact.

I hope you are not making suggestions about him and big ears are you?

I'm not sure or even if I care if the up! Is 'camp' or not...

More of a concern is the recent realisation that driving a small car, (even at speed limit++) on dual carriageways and motorways you are constantly bullied by owners of larger or faster cars to get out of their way.... Flashing headlights from behind are the norm it appears... Now I'm no slouch, I used to drive a caterham.. A number of fellow vw drivers in golfs have been the main culprits.... Mines bigger/ faster than yours mentality me thinks...... Not good and the down side of owning a small car.Edited by: Markmod1

·
Super Moderator
3,147 Posts
Speaking of topolinos...italian jobs etc reminds me of Camp Freddie .....you couldn't call a character that nowadays.

·
Registered
94 Posts
I mis-read the thread title.

I thought it was about going camping in the Up! which is oddly enough what I'm planning to do with mine when I get it. Should easily get my vango icarus 500 in the back with some gear for a few days at Waswater.

·
Registered
1,862 Posts
Camping in the UP! :)

Plenty of space for all the camping gear!

·
Registered
525 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Yes, I've been thinking about camping with my up! Unfortunately my partner has a VW camper and cannot see the attraction of sleeping in a small tent! The vast savings in fuel costs are no compensation, apparently! Also, I have to admit that the van is very comfortable.

·
Registered
1,635 Posts
Camper or tent? I know what I would chose.

But I do rather like the tent in the shape of a camper

1 - 20 of 63 Posts