Up Owners Club banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,
Does anyone have recommended Canbus LED's to replace the Reverse light and Side Indicators on a 2014 Up.
It would be really appreciated, many thanks.

·
Registered
984 Posts
I don't think they are canbus controlled, but I used these for reversing lights, and they work very well:

You have to be careful with max diameter, as the aperture the bulb goes into, in the lamp unit is too tight for most P21W LEDs.... These ones did fit, but were not a preferred brand like Philips or Osram.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I don't think they are canbus controlled, but I used these for reversing lights, and they work very well:

You have to be careful with max diameter, as the aperture the bulb goes into, in the lamp unit is too tight for most P21W LEDs.... These ones did fit, but were not a preferred brand like Philips or Osram.
Thanks for your reply Steve, do they hold a steady light and not flash? As I've seen some non-canbus ones flash when put in the reverse gear. Also have you upgraded the indicators yet?

·
Registered
984 Posts
No they are steady and very bright.
As I say, I don't think Up!s have canbus for reversing lights.
I have not changed the indicators, as that would technically be to use a "non-approved for road use" upgrade. And the existing ones are bright enough (unless you paint your lights black!!!). The reversing lights aren't road legal either but I doubt anyone would ever care, and cannot see any potential downside but I can see a lot more behind me now!

I did change the 3 interior lights and the boot light too, for LEDs. All working fine.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks again for the links it's really appreciated, I just purchased the reverse LED's and will look at the interior lights next.

·
Registered
984 Posts
Cool.
All are easy to fit - the main issue is about removing the rear lamp clusters, or more specifically clicking open the plastic locking tabs for the wiring connectors to it. It's in the manual, and looks easy. On mine the tabs were stiff, and I recommend a short L-shaped tool, maybe a bit like a crochet hook to get under the lip of the tab to prise it forward! You'll see.... The boot light is in a metal canister, but easy to open up for the bulb.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I have a plastic L-shaped tool so that will come in handy. Out of interest what year and model Up do you own?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I have to say the 3-door Ups have that awkward angle on the rear window compared to the 4-door versions. I've got a 2014 Up 4-door, do you know if those reverse bulbs will work on mine?

Also got any photos of the Citigo, haven't seen the 2019 version?

·
Registered
984 Posts
Yes - the upswept rear windows really spoil it for me. The Citigo 3dr looks like a 5dr. Plus the bonnet/grill/lower valance is a tad less Japan-funky-banana!! :)

I don't have pics yet. In any case, the car is filthy!. It'll soon be time for the twice-yearly clean.

I'm guessing the bulbs are the same, even if the style of the rear lamp cluster is different - just W21's.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I was torn between the 3 and 4 door when getting mine, but glad I got the 4-door due to also being more practical. I think the 3-door Brazil version of the Up also has similar rear side windows to the Citigo. But everything is based on preference, as I like the the front of the pre-facelift Up's but then prefer the rear bumper of the new ones.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts