Up Owners Club banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I wonder if anyone else has had this problem. I need to open the bonnet but its stuck fast. There does not seem to be a way to get to the latch via the front grill. I don't think the cable is snapped but the latch is somehow jammed.

Thanks

·
Registered
25 Posts
Hi there,
I'm away from my computer until later this evening but I'll have a look at the drawings this evening. Hopefully someone will have had the same problem and be able to chip in in the meantime!

·
Registered
25 Posts
Is the release latch in the passenger side footwell working? If that has jammed as well, time to take it into your local garage for assistance.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Whether this is of any use or not.... It happened to my Golf a couple of years ago and I accessed the catch by removing the VW badge in the grille. Turned anti clockwise to remove to give access. VW bonnet catches are prone to seizing up in winter and need to be well lubricated. Copper grease seems to have cured mine.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Very helpful note about the grease; thanks. Haven't had any issues with mine in the current cold but worth bearing in mind as a precaution next time I'm in there. Will also see if the badge moves...

·
Registered
25 Posts
As a quick update, I gently tried to turn my badge and it wasn't interested. Since I (thankfully) don't need to gain access that way, I shan't force it. After a bit of asking around, it seems the best solution is to get someone to hold the in-car release lever open (or in a pinch, use something to hold it open) and jiggle the bonnet until it comes free. It also seems most forms of grease are acceptable for lubricating the latches as they're not exposed to extreme conditions, but the most frequent recommendation was for white lithium grease (copper is perfectly fine, but as it's intended for high temperature and corrosion-risk environments it's overkill for the task). Prevention better than cure in this case, I think!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts