Up Owners Club banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We have just got our Up and it needs filling up. We can turn the key in the fuel lock (turning to the right) and it seems open but when we then try to turn the cap to the left to unscrew it it just keeps turning and turning!
Does anyone have any ideas why we can't seem to open it?! Are we not doing something obvious?
Please respond ASAP - trying to avoid the embarrassment of taking it to a garrage!
Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
243 Posts
Hi sorry to here this...On mine hold cap...
put key in turn to left.... take key out.... then unscrew cap...Hope that helps

·
Registered
217 Posts
Hi,

If it just keeps turning and turning I think it would mean it's still locked. Have you tried holding the filler cap and turning the key in it? It should turn about 180 degrees whilst you are holding the actual cap in one position.

·
Registered
851 Posts
CarrLeaney said:
We have just got our Up and it needs filling up. We can turn the key in the fuel lock (turning to the right) and it seems open but when we then try to turn the cap to the left to unscrew it it just keeps turning and turning!
Does anyone have any ideas why we can't seem to open it?! Are we not doing something obvious?
Please respond ASAP - trying to avoid the embarrassment of taking it to a garrage!
Thanks in advance!
Hold the cap that turns with one hand while you turn the key anti-clockwise with the other hand. Then, remove the key and then turn the cap anticlockwise and it will come off easily. It's a two-handed job!
To put cap on, screw it clockwise until you hear a loud click. Then support the cap with one hand and put the key in and turn it clockwise with the other hand. Then remove key and the cap should then freely turn without unscrewing itself - it is now locked.Edited by: AlanG

·
Registered
619 Posts
Put the key in the lock and turn it to the left, holding the cap stationary. Take the key out then unscrew the cap. Locking is the reverse procedure - turn the cap until it clicks then insert the key and turn it to the right.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Thank goodness I ain't the only one that's had this problem! I've never had this issue with any other car!!! Many a time I've had to leave the petrol station red faced and empty tanked!!! I can now open and close the cap! Yay! Still haven't mastered the lock facility though!!!!

·
Registered
1,286 Posts
Hi doo74,

OPEN:
HOLD the cap, put in key, turn the key left, remove key, screw the cap anticlockwise to open ...

CLOSE:
Screw the cap clockwise to close, put in the key, hold the cap, turn the key right (clockwise), remove key ...
Try to rotate the cap now. When it its closed / shut, it can be rotated ...

·
Registered
130 Posts
Many thanks for this info filled up and after lot of stuggle cap seemed to be locked, Only just joined this forum & already leaned a lot by reading post's

·
Registered
296 Posts
someone on here usually knows the answer - some even know the questions too!
Welcome to the Up family.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I'm hoping someone is still hanging around on this thread. At the petrol station earlier - previously have not had a problem - I couldn't get the cap off for love nor money. Unlocked/locked/re-locked the cap and so on for ages. Tried pushing it down a little when twisting and such. This originally was noticed the other day but as I still had about 1/3 of the tank and not planning on any distance driving I thought ok - the bf managed to get it off after 20 mins at home. Unfortunately he can't come with me every time.
Couldn't get the cap off. I'm just about running on fumes now.
Used to have no problem it came off and secured on again really nicely.

·
Registered
568 Posts
Hold the petrol cap with one hand to prevent it turning; turn the key anticlockwise with the other hand to unlock.

Alternatively, don't lock it. Then all you need to do is undo the cap (use of the key is not required
)

·
Registered
15 Posts
I had this same problem, I had to drive away without buying any petrol. When I turned the key to the left the cap felt as if it was locked as it would not rotate, but I eventually discovered that it just needed a lot of force to start to turn it. I thought that turning the key to the right had unlocked it because it rotated freely then, but it was actually locked.

Thanks to posters for explaining it, the instruction manual does not help!

<div id="hc_extension_bkgnd" style=": fixed; left: 0px; top: 0px; right: 0px; bottom: 0px; : -1999999999; display: block; : none 0% 0% / auto repeat scroll padding- border- rgb255, 255, 255;">
<svg ns="http://www.w3.org/2000/svg" version="1.1"><defs>< x="0" y="0" width="99999" height="99999" id="hc_extension_off"><feComponentTransfer><feFuncR ="table" tablues="0 1"></feFuncR><feFuncG ="table" tablues="0 1"></feFuncG><feFuncB ="table" tablues="0 1"></feFuncB></feComponentTransfer>< x="0" y="0" width="99999" height="99999" id="hc_extension_highcontrast"><feComponentTransfer><feFuncR ="gamma" exponent="3.0"></feFuncR><feFuncG ="gamma" exponent="3.0"></feFuncG><feFuncB ="gamma" exponent="3.0"></feFuncB></feComponentTransfer>< x="0" y="0" width="99999" height="99999" id="hc_extension_highcontrast_back"><feComponentTransfer><feFuncR ="gamma" exponent="0.33"></feFuncR><feFuncG ="gamma" exponent="0.33"></feFuncG><feFuncB ="gamma" exponent="0.33"></feFuncB></feComponentTransfer>< x="0" y="0" width="99999" height="99999" id="hc_extension_grayscale"><feColorMatrix ="matrix" values="0.2126 0.7152 0.0722 0 0 0.2126 0.7152 0.0722 0 0 0.2126 0.7152 0.0722 0 0 0 0 0 1 0"></feColorMatrix><feComponentTransfer><feFuncR ="gamma" exponent="3"></feFuncR><feFuncG ="gamma" exponent="3"></feFuncG><feFuncB ="gamma" exponent="3"></feFuncB></feComponentTransfer>< x="0" y="0" width="99999" height="99999" id="hc_extension_grayscale_back"><feComponentTransfer><feFuncR ="gamma" exponent="0.33"></feFuncR><feFuncG ="gamma" exponent="0.33"></feFuncG><feFuncB ="gamma" exponent="0.33"></feFuncB></feComponentTransfer>< x="0" y="0" width="99999" height="99999" id="hc_extension_invert"><feComponentTransfer><feFuncR ="gamma" amplitude="-1" exponent="3" offset="1"></feFuncR><feFuncG ="gamma" amplitude="-1" exponent="3" offset="1"></feFuncG><feFuncB ="gamma" amplitude="-1" exponent="3" offset="1"></feFuncB></feComponentTransfer>< x="0" y="0" width="99999" height="99999" id="hc_extension_invert_back"><feComponentTransfer><feFuncR ="table" tablues="1 0"></feFuncR><feFuncG ="table" tablues="1 0"></feFuncG><feFuncB ="table" tablues="1 0"></feFuncB></feComponentTransfer><feComponentTransfer><feFuncR ="gamma" exponent="1.7"></feFuncR><feFuncG ="gamma" exponent="1.7"></feFuncG><feFuncB ="gamma" exponent="1.7"></feFuncB></feComponentTransfer>< x="0" y="0" width="99999" height="99999" id="hc_extension_invert_grayscale"><feColorMatrix ="matrix" values="0.2126 0.7152 0.0722 0 0 0.2126 0.7152 0.0722 0 0 0.2126 0.7152 0.0722 0 0 0 0 0 1 0"></feColorMatrix><feComponentTransfer><feFuncR ="gamma" amplitude="-1" exponent="3" offset="1"></feFuncR><feFuncG ="gamma" amplitude="-1" exponent="3" offset="1"></feFuncG><feFuncB ="gamma" amplitude="-1" exponent="3" offset="1"></feFuncB></feComponentTransfer>< x="0" y="0" width="99999" height="99999" id="hc_extension_yellow_on_black"><feComponentTransfer><feFuncR ="gamma" amplitude="-1" exponent="3" offset="1"></feFuncR><feFuncG ="gamma" amplitude="-1" exponent="3" offset="1"></feFuncG><feFuncB ="gamma" amplitude="-1" exponent="3" offset="1"></feFuncB></feComponentTransfer><feColorMatrix ="matrix" values="0.3 0.5 0.2 0 0 0.3 0.5 0.2 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 1 0"></feColorMatrix>< x="0" y="0" width="99999" height="99999" id="hc_extension_yellow_on_black_back"><feComponentTransfer><feFuncR ="table" tablues="1 0"></feFuncR><feFuncG ="table" tablues="1 0"></feFuncG><feFuncB ="table" tablues="1 0"></feFuncB></feComponentTransfer><feComponentTransfer><feFuncR ="gamma" exponent="0.33"></feFuncR><feFuncG ="gamma" exponent="0.33"></feFuncG><feFuncB ="gamma" exponent="0.33"></feFuncB></feComponentTransfer></defs></svg>Edited by: aljo

·
Registered
30 Posts
I've had my brand new up! 48 hours and had same issue with petrol cap. Seems it just won't lock unless you put the key back to lock it. If after use you turn till the tight click, it is still unlocked, which i found a bit odd. Am I correct ? Is this the way it deffo works?

·
Registered
520 Posts
yes that's the way it works. turn key to the left to unlock then unscrew cap. screw cap back on until you get the click then put key in and turn to the right to lock.

·
Registered
182 Posts
...or, better still, leave the key in the cap. Actually, I avoid the hassle....I leave it unlocked....the car is in a locked garage most of the time.

·
Registered
128 Posts
oxonboxn said:
...or, better still, leave the key in the cap. Actually, I avoid the hassle....I leave it unlocked....the car is in a locked garage most of the time.
I also leave my cap permanently unlocked as the risk of fuel theft is so unlikely in my usual haunts.

Regards
Brian

·
Registered
25 Posts
New Up! Only 2 weeks old, had previous one since they were launched and loved it. Having read posts re unlocking fuel cap on new one I still can't open fuel cap! Driven for donkeys years, never felt so silly! I've followed earlier instructions to no avail. Sledge hammer seems only alternative! Can anyone help, please???

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have followed instructions, to turn key anticlockwise.
It wont turn anticlockwise.
I have never seen anything so ridiculous
Help?

1 - 20 of 26 Posts