Up Owners Club banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi guys,

I'm a new driver so haven't had much experience when buying car insurance. I bought a new High Up that came with free insurance for one year and I'm trying to find out how much I'll be paying after that, so I've been playing with price comparison website quotes (gocompare, compare the market etc).

Just noticed that when I put my car registration xx63 xxx, the quote is £360, but when I put High Up (same spec 3 door) without my registration and no other changes at all it's £60 cheaper at £300. I don't understand how there can be such a difference when it's essentially the same car. So can I just order the insurance using the quote without my car registration?

Also when I ticked "I haven't bought the car yet" it's about £30 cheaper than when I put in a date of purchase (sep 2013)!

Anyone else noticed these?

·
Super Moderator
3,147 Posts
Just go to your current insurer and quote them the cheapest you can get and ask them to beat it...I did that this year after they gave me a 'comedey' renewal quote....they promptly dropped by about 40% so I stuck with them...currently paying £151 with protected NCB (but then I am an old fart!)

·
Registered
438 Posts
Each year I play off M&S against John Lewis. I get my renewal quote, ring the other one, get theirs, ring my current one and they beat it. I'm paying about £170 with all the extras, ncb protection, legal cover etc.

Word of warning. Check very carefully the t and c for glass cover if you have a sunroof. Not everyone covers it under window glass!

·
Registered
309 Posts
The comparison website quote engines are strange things, probably best to take your best price then ring the Insurer and explain the differences you are getting, tell them you want the best price you were quoted but based on your actual reg, sure they will be able to do that for you.

Admiral/Elephant always give me the best quote on comparison sites, they are both the same company though. I find these 'branded' insurances providers silly, for example my house has been insured with 'Kwik Fit' and 'Sainsburys' in recent years!

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
AlanG said:
So, there is such a thing as "Quote me happy"!
Only until you come to make a claim and realise cheap is not best.

·
Registered
430 Posts
Don't just shop around on price look at getting decent cover for a good price too. When I mean decent cover I also mean the quality and speed of their claims line, ring the claims line and customer services line before buying and see if your call is answered, read reviews online. Its not a good place to be if the worst comes to the worst and your stuck with a cheap Micky Mouse policy,I know this industry and all though many company's are underwritten by the same larger organisations the claims handling side of things varies considerably,most will pay out but if an accident is not your fault not all will invest their time and money in recovering your losses.

·
Super Moderator
3,147 Posts
Rickenbacker said:
Don't just shop around on price look at getting decent cover for a good price too. When I mean decent cover I also mean the quality and speed of their claims line, ring the claims line and customer services line before buying and see if your call is answered, read reviews online. Its not a good place to be if the worst comes to the worst and your stuck with a cheap Micky Mouse policy,I know this industry and all though many company's are underwritten by the same larger organisations the claims handling side of things varies considerably,most will pay out but if an accident is not your fault not all will invest their time and money in recovering your losses.

Agree 100% Good cover may be a few quid more but worth its weight in gold!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts